Windscreen Phenomena??
  • Register
  • Help

Windscreen Phenomena??

OK I'm a bit slow but, I have just started noticing with some later model cars that the windscreen can appear as an opal blue/purple?? Is this a treatment for heat/UV reflection?? cars that I have identified are the Renault Scenic and Clio but there may be others.

I just about always drive wearing sunglasses so presume it is a polorising effect, that makes the windscreen appear opaque.

I find it quite disconcerting not being able to see the face of an on-coming driver especially at an intersection, often you pick up clues/cues as to the drivers intention. (Safety aspect of this technology??)

Advertisement

Of course the big issue here is how is this going to affect the wave

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

from what i know about it...your assumption about the uv and sunglare protection is right and i must agree that i ve found it " a little bit " frustrating to look at sometimes....what i m really interested to know is IF it affects the speed cameras, toll cameras and so on...ie...lets say somebody else is driving your car....will the windscreen appear totally reflective to the point where the driver cannot be identified...i believe that was the reason why some numberplate protectors were made illegal as it made them CAMERA-unfriendly....
    on another point the screen almost looks OUT OF PLACE sometimes...its as if its mismatched to the car ie..aftermarket-like....however i m sure it does a decent job of protecting the occupants from the harmfull affects of the sun although i can see your safety concern in re. to maybe not be able to read the drivers intentions as easily as with standard screens....also brings up the issue that we r only allowed to TINT a certain percantage of our front windows yet its perfectly legal on the scenic....just like some cars have VERY dark (almost tinted) rear lenses factory standard yet its illegal to do so yourself....

cheers
    dino

1000+ Posts
    These are called athermic windscreens. They are indeed heat reflective, and help the aircon work properly, which is why you really only see the on these new 'glasshouse' Euro cars.

If you look carefully, all these windscreens also have a little 'patch' which is not 'treated' which is where you need to put your E-Tag / E-Way / E-Toll tag (different name depending on state of course!) because the tags apparently don't work through the heat shielding... or so I was told by the RTA anyway.

I think newer 206's have it, but you're right, the Scenic and Clio are definately like that... having driven both.

When you're inside the vehicle you wouldn't know any different, except you can see the 'lighter' patch where the electronic toll tag is supposed to be mounted. On the Clio this is just above dash level.

Derek.

1000+ Posts
    The Mercedes S-Class has it as well, as does the Audi A8... Originally the E-tag did not work with these windscreens, I think the fix required work on the E-Tag, not a gap in the windscreen?

Either way, it was a hassle for some people at the start.
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

Sounds right Deka - Dino.
    Our C5 has the athemic treatment and yes there is a patch behind the rear view mirror for E-Toll tags etc.
    I haven't noticed this opaque/opal effect on C5's I've seen on the road, maybe different to the treatment Renault are getting.

Dino agree the effect of the treatment really looks wrong (ricey) on the cars I've seen.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

GreenBlood:

I just about always drive wearing sunglasses so presume it is a polorising effect, that makes the windscreen appear opaque.

I find it quite disconcerting not being able to see the face of an on-coming driver especially at an intersection, often you pick up clues/cues as to the drivers intention. (Safety aspect of this technology??)

Of course the big issue here is how is this going to affect the wave

Cheers
    Chris
    Firstly, you can see the expression on the drivers face if you just barge through; bulging eyes & bright red faces shine through this somewhat opaque screen, however, having the "shades" happening usually means you're not into eye contact.
    The Wave doesn't become a problem as it's a surer way of making it happen; Usually in the form of the middle finger or the "Reverse Winston Churchill" variety if the above guidlines are followed.
    mallet dance mallet

Alan S whip
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The athermic treatment on the Peugeots seems to be less obvious - you can only tell if you look at the windscreen at a angle near parallel with the windscreen on a sunny day, with some dirt on the screen.

Then you'll see a fine layer of reddish orangy oxides in the glass.

Looking at the size of the windscreen in the 206 & 307, you'd wonder how the A/C would cope with lots of sun without the athermic screen - and it's not perfect, either.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information