Tyres ..... Yet again
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Tyres ..... Yet again

Hi Guys,

well I need to buy some new tires for the CX in the next few weeks. I'm after 215/55 16". And wouldn't you know it, it's a bloody odd size mallet mallet mallet

Maybe I should look at 225/60 16" ??

All the usual suspects have a tire in that size:

ie:

Bridgestone Ggrid III $185
    kumo $195
    hancook $215
    Toyo $220
    Sumi? $171?
    Michelin starts at $310 each eek! eek!

Strangly I was recomended the cheapest at Bob Jane Tmart. Simex I think there called. at $175 each they told me they'd be a great tire....

Advertisement

Anyone ever heard of Simex brand tires?? Wonder where there made or if there any good. I imagine you can't get a 'non performance' orientated tyre in this size so they'd be at least 'V' rated ?

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I've heard some good reports on Simex both here & overseas. Quality I've heard is comparable to Michelin which may or may not be a compliment mallet As far as where they come from, I think you'll fine they may have originally been known as "Siam" tyres which were made in Thailand.
    Have you ever had a look or quote on Falken tyres? I have used them for years without any problems on the BXs and I've found they have a constant quality & all the BX sizes are made in Japan. Some sizes are directional whilst others aren't. Prices always seem very competitive. dance dance

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hi Alan,

well I just rang the place the advertises they sell Falken tyres. I asked him what he had in 215/55 16". I got the usual, "For a Fairlane is it??" ...., "No it's for a Citroen Turbo", "ohhhh, it's usualy only Fairlanes that use this size ".

Anyway:

Simes == Incredibly cheap ie: $135 each. I asked him what he thought of them. He didn't say they were sh!+, but he certainly didn't say they were any good, infact said "for what they are, there ok".

Kumo --$145 (bloody cheap again)
    Goodyears --$167
    Toyos --$175 I've always liked Toyo's so I asked what he thought of them. He said there a quite good all round tyre.

I asked about Falkens specificly, and he said, "Nah, I've had to many come back with complaints of shocking wet weather traction, I don't recommend them".... At least he was honest. Say Alan, when was the last time it rained up there roll_lau roll_lau

Unless somone has something bad to say about the Simex tires, I might give 'em a go.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I ran a Simex on one corner of a car for a while, don't think I can give a good comment on them though, as that's not really a fair thing to do to a tyre. They wore well, were just as quiet as the other tyres, but I couldn't comment on grip or performance.

What Sumitomos are they? Dad just got HTRZ IIs on his Liberty and I was very impressed with them. Very quiet and great feel. Not as grippy as the FM901s I run, but made for a very pleasurable drive (the most fun I've ever had in an AWD actually).

Can you get the Dunlop LM702s in that size?
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Regarding Simex tyres, I've heard good things about the performance ones (the relevant ones in this case) having good wet grip, treadwear and being excellent value for money.
    I've also heard horror stories about the cheaper Simex tyres - crap grip in wet and dry, should be used as pencil erasers.
    My mum's 750iL runs Simex SM8200 (225/60R15) on the rears and I have found no reason to complain and I'd rate them above the Pirelli P6000's.

If I'm not mistaken, Simex are made in Malaysia and are a different company from Siam or Sime (either of which, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole).

If you can, get Dunlop Formula FM901's or SS01's. Awesome tyre. The FM901's are excellent in the wet and even on gravel. Dry, they're above average. My only complaints are that they aren't all that comfortable ride-wise, are noisy, and tend to spray mud and crap all down the sides of the car.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

225's on a 750i!!!!
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

[Quote/]

"I asked about Falkens specificly, and he said, "Nah, I've had to many come back with complaints of shocking wet weather traction, I don't recommend them".... At least he was honest.

Are you sure he didn't put directionals on arseabout because I have driven these in some pretty greasy situations at some fairly hairy speeds and they are 10 times more stable than Michelins in the wet.

What you could have here is a guy who is not what is referred to in the tyre industry as a "preferred agent" which means he has to buy from a "preferred agent" and hence doesn't get as big a profit margin. You also must remember that he was referring to them going on a fairfloss which aren't all that bright with their handling to start with. Ask a "preferred dealer" his thoughts (and prices) as I'd be interested to hear his comments, particularly on the directional series as they're brilliant in the wet on the BX.

Alan S

nJm
    Thinking of funny tyre sizes, a 505 SR at uni I see everyday has the 'amil' 14" alloys and 205/70 tyres on it! They looked huge!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I bought my 205 with 4 simex SM8000s on it.....

They were a decent gripping "cheap" tyre.....and lasted a good 35,000+km
    ________
    DevonMichaels
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:46 AM.

UFO
    All this talk about falken tyres makes it sound like you're in the workshop at the local shifty car yard. "Eh mate, better put some new falken tyres on that falken falcon so we can p^ss the falken thing off outa here"

I'm in the tyre market at present myself and did the shop around today. Bob Jane came up trumps with Michelin Energy MXV8 205/65 15 for $129 each fitted and balanced. Not too bad...

As for Falkens and Simex, never heard much wrong with them. I always avoid Dunplops as they seem to wear like sponge cake and handle about the same. Had some Continentals on Mrs UFO's Shagna but they only lasted 20k km!

Picked up two 2nd hand 185/15 XVSs last week with 60% tread for the best price possible. They'll go on the back of the D when the time is right. Now to start shopping for a pair of spare new XVSs for the front before the price goes STOOPID (ie GS tyres)
    dance
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Guys,

just looked at my scribbles that I wrote while on the phone & it was Simes for $172 each that Bob Jane was recommneding, not Simex's

I'm not paying $170 bucks for that crap !! I have a couple of sets of Toyo's on cars now (infact I have a pair on the front of my CX2400). They have been excelent tyres, so I may give 'em a bash. I'll do another quick phone around before deciding.

Nick, 205's on a Pug should be ok. I'm running Toyo 215/65 14" on the front of my CX2400 & there brilliant!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts
    Howdy Shane,

Sime Tyres are definitely different to Simex. I run Simex SM800's on the old R12 and they're bloody good for cheapies - they were the only ones in the size that were H rated, which is a good sign for their construction quality. They are made in Malaysia in the old Dunlop factory.

More relevant for your sort of tyre, though, is that my bro runs a performance 15" Simexes on a WRX (don't know which one - SM8000?) which has seen over 200km/h quite a few times. They've lasted well and grip etc. is excellent. Recommended, particularly for the price. By the way, I'm sure they were around $160 about 18 months ago.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hi Guys
    I a work in tyre industry in the shaky isles. Simex are made in Malaysia, as are Sime(part of the Sime Darby Automobile empire that owns the Pug franchise in OZ and NZ. Im not certain if Simex is also part of Sime Darby but I suspect so.
    I think that Simex pitches more upmarket than Sime. Has better/more modern directional patterns and prices higher in the market but still very competitive with mid market brands. Cant comment on wear-check Jan.03 Wheels Tyre test issue.
    Cheers
    Don

I will putting Bridgestone G111 on my R25 next - have had Michelin Certis until now which are good, but not so hot in the wet and pretty noisy. Pretty good value for what you get (more sports biased than a Certis and the same price) and great in the wet apparently, but will no doubt wear faster than the Certis.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Hi Guys,

well I rang up the local place that sell Simex tyres:

I did the usual ie: asked him what he had in 215/55 16". He said the new Jap made Dunlop silica compound 702's are brilliant at $180. I think he must be the Dunlop prefered agent.

I asked him about the Simex's and he said the same size is $135 each (bloody cheap!!). I said "shit there cheap are they crap", he told me there great tires, infact he runs them on his cars, however the dunlops will be better. I tried to get him to say something bad about 'em, but all I could get out of him was the a really good tire, but not as good as the Dunlops he wanted to sell me.

I've ordered in a pair, if there not much good, they'll be relegated to back. (there rear tyres only have about 6months left on them). Doesn't matter how bad a tyre is if you put it to the back of a hydraulic Cit

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I'd be getting the 702s, just because I'm impressed with Dunlop's recent range. The 300E gets favourable comments and the 702 is better again. In my size they were $20 cheaper than the FM901s (were $155 here in Sydney). It is more of a comfort oriented tyre than the SM800, so I would think that it would wear longer. All my thoughts though...no hard proven facts as Dad went and got those Sumitomos
    - Lincoln

Hi GTI,

I'll soon let you know how the Simex's work out. I'm sure they'll be a soft compound. Standard CX's eat front tyres very readily, so this one will tear sh!+ out of 'em in no time if it's a soft grippy compound (but man it'll fun in the mean time dance dance ). Maybe it's just my driving style, I get told all the time I am a , um, 'press on' type of driver mallet mallet Maybe that's why automatic gearbox and me don't get along well clown Clash of personalitys?

The rear tyres on the car are bald, the fronts are just off there wear markers. So if these get eaten out to quickly they'll go to the back, if they are a decent tire, they'll go to the back, and the front will be fitted with a new pair of Simexs. I've just never been fond of Dunlops, but hey, thats just me

Rear tyres last forever on these cars, so even a really soft compound will last forever back there

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Alan S:
    Are you sure he didn't put directionals on arseabout because I have driven these in some pretty greasy situations at some fairly hairy speeds and they are 10 times more stable than Michelins in the wet.
    Geez, Falkens must have improved alot in the last 10 years. I had some in the early 1990s (185/70 14", not directional), and they didn't grip as well as the Michelin MXT of the same size and they wore out in half the time (30,000km). I was very disappointed as I had heard great things about them. My father had a set of Falkens the same size on his 504 at the time and experienced the same thing.

I had a set of 195/60 15" directional Falkens on my 404 around the same time and they did seem to grip better than the other Falkens. I took them off the car when I sold it so didn't get a chance to see just how long (or short) they'd last. I imagine they're pretty rock hard after sitting under the house for about 8 years.

Dave

<small>[ 12 March 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Shane,

Yep, I was of the same opinion until the W-10, FM901, 300E and LM702s came along. The rest of the range is still fairly ordinary and they don't have a flagship tyre that can hold to the Michelin Pilot Sport or ContiSportContact, etc. But I now see them as making good quality and value tyres in the above styles now (especially when compared to Michelin, who have become horrednously expensive for something like an MXV3A (over $200 compared to $155 for the LM702).

The lower range does nothing for me (LeMans, etc). I guess it'll take a while for them to get their reputation across the entire market.
    - Lincoln

Dave,

I believe the Falken directionals could tend to perform better on FWD cars than RWD as I think they were developed about the time there was a move in the tyre industry to make tyres (at least sound as though they were) special designs for special applications.
    I took one of my sons "ricey" friends for a larrop in the old Trs and he was more than a bit amazed at the handling & immediately jumped out to see the kind of tyres it had on it & was gobsmacked to find they were Falkens because his ricebox apparently used to aquaplane on them. It was a wet night when I had him in my BX & we hit plenty of water across the road with no dramas, which is why I think it's a case of horses for courses.

Alan S

Really depends on the Falkens Alan,
    I had ZE-509s (i think) on the AX, and they were ok, but moving to Dunlop FM901's was an absolute revelation, both in the wet and the dry.

Since moving to them, i havent got the car to understeer once, except for on a skidpan covered in diesel and water.

I guess the only Falkens i'd recommend would be the Azenis, but they arent what you'd call a comfort tyre.

Thread Information