Car Covers
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Car Covers

Tadpole

Car Covers

I have a vehicle under under a carport and covered with a good quality carcover. The car gets used fortnightly, never gets covered hot or wet. I have had several negative comments re the cover, but it does keep the dust off etc.
    any comments re long term use of these things.

Advertisement
    Jim-T

They're just like car bras - use them incorrectly, and you'll get chalky / cloudy paint.

The main thing is understand the humidity of the car's environment. Being in the Sydney surrounds, you have high humidity most of the year, so you can expect the car to sweat under the cover.

If your tarp is one that allows the car to breathe, and you should be right. What type of material is your cover?

Andrew

<small>[ 25 October 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: vanderaj ]</small>
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

I used a Kenko one for a while and dirt gets inside the cover and causes more scratching on the panels than it was worth. They were hard to wash well enough to remove the grit, so I just threw it away after a while. Maybe there are some better quality ones out there that can avoid this, but everytime you remove or put on a cover that has grit you will scratch your car.

I'd suggest maybe having a look at <a href="http://www.autopia.org" target="_blank">www.autopia.org</a> to see what some of the guys there recommend about covering your car.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

GTI124:
    I used a Kenko one for a while and dirt gets inside the cover and causes more scratching on the panels than it was worth.
    I had a similar experience with the Kenko tyvek? cover for an outside car - kept dirt off and breathed well, certainly reflected heat reasonably, but a pig to wash. OK as a dust cover inside the garage, where it doesn't get so dirty. But a cotton dust sheet would have done that.

I'm using an Italian silver PVC cover for outside now, with a sort of grey "felt-like" soft cloth inner. It has 4 flaps to help breathing and seems quite good. It is Perth not Sydney of course. I don't even try to take it off when it is raining or wet, so it never gets wet and dirty inside.

I don't like it much and really want an extra shed! But it is much better than nothing and seems to work reasonably well.

JohnW

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

i have bought myself a very nice Dupont car coer. fits the xsara very snugly. has securing straps underneath the car so it cant blow off and is light, but keeps dirt/dust and dew off the car too.

I think on the Dupont box it had some guarantee about quality paint proteciton and no scratches.

Hey Julian, what's the Dupont one made of? Where did you pick it up?
    - Lincoln

i picked it up from Autobarn... i had some Autobran vouchers, i think it was around $150, not the cheapest cover around mallet

it is made from a thin material that the water seems to beed off when it rains, and the dust doesn't seem to stick either. i will have a look at the box if i can find it, and see what the material is.

Is it lined at all? Have you seen the Kenko one, is it similar? I was using one quite a long time ago and I'd cover the car when it wasn't clean...therefore dirtying the cover...stupid, I know...how dirty do you reckon a car can be before you would stop using a cover? I would think that to avoid any extra dirt possibly scratching your car that you'd only ever use it when it was clean...

What do you think?
    - Lincoln

Thread Information