Friggin dying batteries
  • Register
  • Help

Friggin dying batteries

Yesterday my 306 died of shame as it couldnt master enough spark out of the battery to gets its engine breathing.

All was fine until the battery didnt have enough voltage to even light up a dash when ignition was on. When NRMA road service arrived they declared the battery dead with an open circuit and 1Volt when ignition was turned. I had it "proptly" replaced 3 hours later when the battery service arrived (NRMA).

Advertisement

What was interesting that the previous owner had the same thing happen to him about 1.5 yrs ago and he fitted Marshall batteries.

Now the questions:
    1. The batteries shouldnt die that often. My pug is late 99 model and already had the battry replaced 2 times. Why?
    2. Is 306 prone to battery killings?
    3. Since I know batteries die when used in hot enviroemnt Pegueot fitted containment box for this pug. Is there a better way to protect the batteries? (I am not moving it to the boot btw)

BTW. If you battery is going to die make sure it is close to the restaurnats and nightclubs as the wait could be substantial for the service people on saturdays.

cheers all.

<small>[ 09 March 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts
    tekkie,

I had a battery go in my 306 XR early in the piece as well.

I replaced it with a calcium plated battery and never had a problem since.

We only use calcium plated batteries now - normal batteries get vibrated to pieces in our trucks, whereas calcium batteries seem to last longer. I have no idea why!

They are fully sealed, and just have a little indicator which is green when the battery is OK, and red when it's cactus (or nearly cactus) on the top.

Derek :-)

I would suggest one thing I did with my car was I just went and bought a truck battery and fitted that. (If you have room or can make some.) The last time I replaced it was eight years or so ago.

You also may have something earthing somewere in the system I guess the only way to find out is to disconnect the positive and wire in a load, a light or something between it and the battery if the lamp does not glow then try the multimetre. make sure you disconnent any items that are not effected by ignition. I dont know what that will do ecu wise? More than likely reset any learned info. It is one way find a fault in a sensor.

If you leave the car for long periods unused disconnect the negative.

My battery died all of a sudden, but that's because I abused it by playing my stereo consisting of amp and subs etc with the car off and draining the battery a few times.

replaced it with a standard pug one and no probz since, however I don't play my stereo anymore with the car off.
    1995 306 XR

yes u could try a more powerfull battery, (i ve got a DIN 65 in my 205 with some 500+ cca)but i ve heard that going to high with cca output (ie larger battery) can cause some sort of SHOCK to the alternator...ie its as if the alternator gets used to a particular sized battery and can then have problems in the future if you go up to high,,,this is somthing i ve heard but ceartinly have not had any problems with my upgrade...maybe somebody can elaborate further...??

cheers
    dino

well,i`ve change my batterie once in my 306 and i`ve had it for over 2yrs,i but a nrma batterie in it,and its been good,and i have 2 amps in the car aswell
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

I try to be easy on my battery , ie switch lights accessories etc off before starting the car, making sure I dont load it with all the lights heater, fan etc on short trips. And I dont leave the car unstarted for long periods of time. I spoke to some Taxi drivers about their batteries and the consensus is that the EF/EL Falcon kills batteries 1 one year mainly due to the headers being so close to the battery.
    Fitting a larger battery seems to be a no-no in the 306. The Engine bay is choc-a-block right now and the battery box is full when the battery got replaced. I have opted for the cabriolet battery with larger CC rating of 540 (I think?)instead of stnd 500. It was the same price.

I got the 2yr warranty on it. I'll see how it goes.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    the one in my 306 died when the car was about 2.5 year old
    i think i am going to have to change it again this winter as on the odd cooler morning it will turn over slower than it normally does
    i have heard of a few 306's now going through batteries every 2-3 years
    not like the old days when my mother had her 203 and the battery to her total disapoinment died after 8 years
    i had the 306 all checked out and ther ewas nothing abnormal found as to why the battery did't last very long so i just take it as part of life
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

the death of the battery in my case was very rapid.

No problems cranking, than 5 mins later, dead.
    Looks like 1 cell died.

i didn't get any warning with my first battery either
    it was fine one day and then the next it just wouldn't go
    i checked all the obvious things and then took the battery out and got it tested only to find that the only cure was a new one
    put that in then took the car back to the auto spark and he found nothing
    out of curiosity does anyone elses 306 on here have a fairly warm battery after the car has been running ?
    or is supposed to get warm seeing as it is in a battery box ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I have a theory on batteries and most 306 owners, one thing most of us "enthusiast" have in common is that we drive our pugs the way they should be driven.
    Hence this is shaking the shit out the batteries and vibrating them to death, around those sweeping bends, taken ala-306.
    Xq
    ... ptui!

Without trying to shoot theories down I have to point out that the 4wd's with much harsher suspension seem to keep their batteries ok. I drove a landcruiser for approx 4 years as a part of my work (in my past lifetime before I discovered 306) and never had a problem. Likewise none of the 4wd owners that I know had any battery problems.
    Vibration that would hurt the battery would have to be severe enough to jar my teeth loose. (Baja Race?)

I think it could be a combination of:
    1. Quality control in manufacturing (throws my 4wd theory out though)
    2. under the bonnet heat (land cruiser had a mother of all walls seperating a battery from the engine compartment)
    3. higher demands on the battery caused by EFI and ECU's strewn around the modern car as well as the numerous accessories (p/windows, mirrors etc)

tekkie,

I have mentioned this before, but are you aware that there is such a thing as a battery for "European cars" available through a lot of the makes?
    I found recently that a 420cca battery in my BX was struggling whilst a 520cca ate it.
    All of our cars these days have the 5200 - 520 cca batteries. It's hard trying to buy a battery as per specs due to the Europeans rating batteries different to us.
    They will speak of a 200 amp battery that our fellows give you a blank stare at, whereas others will quote things like a "13 plate battery" but when you go to buy eveyone talks cca's out here.
    I'd suggest looking at the 13 plate battery with 520 ccas as supplied by Bosch and see how it compares to the specs for your car.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Heat kills batteries. I don't know what it's like under the bonnet of a 306, but if the battery is close to the exhaust manifold this could be killing the batteries prematurely. If you can't insulate the battery, go for the biggest battery that will comfortably fit and a low maintenance type battery. These have plates made of a special lead alloy that are able to handle vibration better than a standard battery and generally have more battery acid which provides extra insulation for the plates. The "DIN" style batteries (recessed post) generally fitted to European cars might have the same CCA rating but, because of the dimensions, often have less acid than a battery of the same rating designed for Australian conditions.

Overcharging can also kill a battery. Check your alternator's output and charging circuit if batteries are dying prematurely.

Beware of CCA ratings. The Australian and European standards measure the CCA at -18 degrees celcuis. Presumedly, something to do with conditions in Europe and North America. There aren't too many places in Australia where you need to worry about the temperature getting down to -18. Some batteries imported from Asia have their CCA measured at higher temperatures giving a more favourable rating. Higher CCA doesn't necessarily mean the battery is going to last longer.

Ren cheers!
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Battery life might have something to do with driving conditions.

My AX used to use batteries at the rate of about 1 for every 2yrs, or about 1 per 30,000km when I lived in the city.

I then moved to the country (best move I ever made but that's another story) and the same car has had the same battery for the last 7 years with no sign of letting me down yet(touches a piece of wood).
    The Xsara has had the original factory batery for 5 years now is still going strong also.

Both of these vehicles spend 95% of their time at 110kmph+ on open roads.

Short hop city driving may place more wear and tear on the battery and electrical system leading to shorter battery life....maybe.

bloody murphy
    all this talk about batteries in cars (esp 306's) mine decided today was a good day to say no more go and so dow nto repco i go and get another one
    on talking to my little mate there he was telling myself that the exide man was there only 2 days before hand and how he was saying that the heat in these newer cars is killing batteries so much quicker in these new times than the older cars in winter times
    i am going to now work out how to feed cool air into my battery box
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts
    pugrambo,

Don't mention it! My new car turned over *incredibly* slowly this morning...

I had a look at the battery terminals, some doofus has banged them down with a hammer so they're all splayed out, and probably not contacting properly - that's what I'm hoping anyway.

My dad has a great line he has written in whiteout on batteries on other vehicles, with an arrow pointing at the battery terminals.

It goes like this:

Spread me and screw me but please don't bang me

I know it gives mechanics & autoelectricians a laugh!

Derek.

Thread Information