Desprete Uni Student Seeks Cheap RWD Destoryable car.. lol
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Desprete Uni Student Seeks Cheap RWD Destoryable car.. lol

Hay all..

Well after my mate found it in her intimate wisdom to run my charade up the back of a Ford Capri.. and futher more ruining any sort of long term planes me and my Charade might have had.. I have been driving around in my Dads 504 Ti..

and well.. damed if ill ever go back to FWD ever again.. lol!!

Maybe ive been spoiled in the pug.. but overstear is just.. well.. coming from the originaly land of FWD.. Overstear is one of those magical things you dream about sitting in your FWD car..

Advertisement

So anyway.. sooner or later im going to have to give my precious.. ok .. his precious pug back to him.. and have about 2 quid to rub between fingers.. So im looking at Old Sckool possibly even Japanese Dirt Cheap "japo crapo" cars..

I feel so sorry for even mentioning Japanese cars around the like of you.. but .. mehh.. lol

So Short list come down to Old Round Body Rolla. 70's shape.. little light fun factory.. Then ive had other sugustions to look at the Mighty Datsun Nissan 1600.. or any dato for that reason as parts come and go betwee them all easyilly as all hell.. (not to mention the crazy aftermarket guys who seemingly have a never ending garage full of Fast bits for the beloved dato..)

And Even The allmighty Rust and ring breader and destoryer of a Sigma..

im undecided us to which path i should follow.. Ideally cheap.. strong.. and dirt friendly..

Comments.. Criticisms.. raised concerns... ??

<small>[ 06 May 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: bowie ]</small>

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

nJm
    Well how much do you want to spend, and what sort of condition are you expecting it to be in? I've seen early 505's go for around $650 in rough condition.

It would be nice if you could find a froggy (well Pug I guess if ya want RWD ).

Keep an eye out for a 404-505. You never know what sort of bargain will pop up. I've noticed 505s are heaps cheaper than when I bought mine. I paid $4250 for a good condition 83 GR just over a year ago. Now for $3k you can get a nice STi or even early GTi. Ya never know!

If you are interested in Japanese cars, I can say this much - my friend has a 1982 Celica (2L truck engine, 5spd, RWD liftback). He since put large wheels with fat rubber on it so it is quite entertaining. Live rear end means plenty of fun in the wet (or dry due to such limited suspension travel). Engine isn't nearly as sweat as the donk in the 504/505 (and that is really saying something!). Mind you, this thing sounds like it will spill its guts around 4500rpm, whereas the engine in my 505 doesn't really sound like that until you hit around 7000rpm....

EDIT: I don't know how much you have to spend, but there are two 505's around the $1700 bracket in NSW trading post. One is a GTi, the other an STi Executive. Both are 5spd manuals and apparently in "good condition".

<small>[ 06 May 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Get a Pug if you can.
    My first car, and my only registered one to the moment, is a 403. It cost $200 with one day's rego. Granted it had a tired motor, noisy gearbox, noisy diff, and it looks pretty beat up, but it was cheap.
    On the other hand, my 404 was advertised for $200, but the bloke didn't turn up, so I got it for free. I drove it home on a temporary permit, and there were only one or two thngs that needed doing to register, such as a non functioning blinker.
    If you go non pug, the Datsun 120Y is cheap, reliable, and has lots of hot up potential. Some people have even stuck in L20 Bluebird motors.
    For goodness sake stoy away from early '80s Mazdas. I helped rebuild the engine in one of these once, and the end of the camshaft snapped off when we were halfway to the required torque, and I have heard of many other examples of unreliability from them.
    And don't touch anything english unless you like fixing wierd cars often ( What am I saying, this is a French car forum )
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

nJm
    I remember way back when I first came on this board asking about a good first car, the RWD pugs were always highly recommended due to simple mechanicals and fool proof handling. You can have your RWD fun, but at the same time, you're not going to kill yourself as would be easier in something like an old Falcon. The five oh's tend to naturally understeer (well, from my limited experience), only going into oversteer slides if you really provoke them or in wet weather. I think if you could get one you'd be much happier .

EDIT: When I say understeer, I don't mean anything like you'd experience in a rather ordinary FWD car. It is gentle, and all you need to do is adjust the throttle or turn in a little more sharply to get the tail out. On the last aussiefrogs cruise I only experienced anything that could be regarded as 'strong' understeer once, however I had plenty of tail action - just ask SilverExec who was following me! mallet

<small>[ 06 May 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

You invited comments...?
    You're not doing any Literature subjects at Uni are you!
    Buy a 504, or an Alfasud and a welder.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

no.. leave my lazy tied arse speeling alone..

Well idealy a pug woudl be great.. but i think due to my fathers condition.. it would realy bother me if i ended up wraping a lovly 504 or evn 505 round a small embankment or shrubery for that matter.. I dont think i could live with myself if i did.. lol

Im realy after somthing i can leave on the street. wash once every 3 months.. treat like a bucket oh shit.. Rally it hard on the dirt and track.. and it still turn around and ask for me..

if i do break it.. Parts should be everywhere.. without fuss to obtain or replace or repair for that matter..

So i was thinking a Disposable late model Japanese car would be ideal for such a task..

I realy could do that do a pug.. could I.. i really love that 504 out in my driveway.. "EVIL GRIN"

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Bowie,

I've got a 505 STi sitting on my front lawn up in Newcastle that needs a home. Not looking for a high price. deal

But its an auto. eek!

Maybe, once I get around to putting the radiator back in, I'll try to get rid of it.

The flat mates are getting sick of it just sitting there.
    disappro
    Jono

<small>[ 06 May 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: crosspug ]</small>
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

thats ok.. my dad has a 5sp sti box im trying to talk him out of putting in his 504..

Hmmmmmmmm

my mate has just ofered me his 82 2.6L Sigma..

aparnatly they were trying to sell it 18 months ago,..for $1500 and no one was interested.. so it just sat there..

His mate tells me he cant rember there being any rust.. and engine still ticking over ok..

no rego naturally

oh.. and its in Brisbane

Hmmm It would want to be in remarkably good condition to warrent $200 od in pety to go and get it.. Hmm.. but then again.. $200 for a unregisterded sigma.. mmmmm probably a fair prise.. lol

dare i mention:2 door torana...preferably in faded brown/gold with every panel dinted....sure u ll get pulled up by the cops maybe 3 or 4 times a day
    but at least u ll have some cred as a hoon...

cheers
    dino

a sigma....hehehhe..seriously....$200 hehehh
    think about it....they really should be paying you at least $200 a month as compensation in case any aussie froggers see u driving the thing...

just kidding
    cheers
    dino

nJm:
    I had plenty of tail action - just ask SilverExec who was following me! mallet
    Yep, thanks for a most entertaining display of 505 dynamics! Despite all the roly movement, it seemed very controlled and composed.

bowie, if you feel sorry to bash up a Pug (and who wouldn't?), how about a Cortina? A friend of mine had one as a paddock bomb and said it was virtually indesctructable. It withstood all the beating he gave it and only died after he'd rammed it head on into a tree and burst the radiator.

Cheap to buy and get parts for as well.

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

least you'll get the street cred...

and thats the important thing.....
    head_ban head_ban roll_lau

<small>[ 06 May 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: bowie ]</small>

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    yeah who wants to pay too much for something that has probably got a cracked block and goes through a litre of oil every 1000km's whilst you are trying to get the gearstick to stay in the gearbox
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Having done may kms behind the wheel of the likes of a 1976 Corolla and a 1978 Cortina, I would recommend if you buy a RWD then atleast get something which has a DeDion or an IRS rear end. So go for things like:

-Datsun 1600
    -Alfetta
    -504/505
    -early Toyota Supra

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

a sigma....hehehhe..seriously....$200 hehehh
    think about it....they really should be paying you at least $200 a month as compensation in case any aussie froggers see u driving the thing..
    hahah oh no.. this is the QUAD head light one.. Its teh preety one.. aparantly..

how about a Cortina?
    nothing wrong with a cortina.. Hmmmm still in love with a old Capri actually.. one day.. one day..

....probably got a cracked block and goes through a litre of oil every 1000km's whilst you are trying to get the gearstick to stay in the gearbox
    Isnt that half the fun

.... DeDion or an IRS rear end
    good point actually.. wink Hmmmmmmmm

<small>[ 06 May 2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: bowie ]</small>

QUAD headlight....woww...i stand corrected...nothing beats those sealed units for replacement cost....and the chicks just dig those sigmas so much.....

i d still go torana...just because there are so many better cars out there...does that make any sense????(sigma chicks are teasers...wheras torana chicks are EASY)

cheers
    dino

Hey, old corties kick ass........(usually their own) wink

My flat mate has a TF 3.3L Six cortina. Goes alright. But could go alot better if he actually wanted it too.....

Damn that 1.5inch exhaust roll_lau moon whip

The only way this thing corners is because its lowered 3 inches, and has duel 19mm sway bars on the back. Funny to watch but......

Jono

PS I'll stick to my IRS, 4 wheel Disc, Inj 505 for now wink
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

(sigma chicks are teasers...wheras torana chicks are EASY)

A classic roll_lau roll_lau head_ban

Get the torrie, be just another Hill Billy at Newcastle Uni.

You can park next to the guy with the VK holden with steel rims and crap loads of rust that has the "LIFE starts at 200kph" sticker in the back window.

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

QUAD headlight....woww...i stand corrected...nothing beats those sealed units for replacement cost....and the chicks just dig those sigmas so much.....
    replacment??? lol pffffff wouldnt replace it.. get pulled over.. yeah got stolen out of parking lot.. on the way to wreckers now...

what do woman have to do with it.. ??

its a car man.. i dont need cars to pick up chicks.. you sad sad melbournite..

It would ive its days trecking through the gravel roads in my local forest.. lol .. oh.. and the ocasionaly burn out to uni.. but i have dark sunnies.. no one would know it was me.. :p

<small>[ 06 May 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: bowie ]</small>

"LIFE starts at 200kph" sticker in the back window.
    hahah gota love those guys.. BAhahahahaah

If you want a japanese rear wheeel drive you should look into the mitsubishi starion. Its a quirky wierd cheap almost rally rear wheel drive '80s turbo. But that's only if you want a jap car. If you like that can of stuff
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

hehehheh...hehehheh..what do woman have to do with it...?????hehehhe...shit man you r not going to catch a train or a bus and than take the chick out on a date...hheheheh...hehheh...and think about it....the two door torana is soo soo unconfortable in the back and so bloody hard for them 2 get out of....food for thought

cheers
    dino

if dad doesnt know i have another car... he wont expect his 504 back now will he

if i was going to be left with a shitbox.. your right.. torana all the way..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information