Targa NZ 2003
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Targa NZ 2003

Targa NZ 2003

Guys
    A year's planning is turned into action on Monday 27th Oct, when we have 2 prologue stages to kick off TNZ '03.
    There are at least 10 Pugs inc. an 85 205 T16 WRC, a 205Mi16, my 405Mi16, a 309GTi and 6 106 Clubsports(Rallye).
    Budget constraints stopped me doing a Unichip ECU upgrade and we will be carrying our 2 spares aboard, so the 405 wont have the p/wt ratio I would have preferred, but hey I want to finish. The Quaife LSD, baffled sump, sump guard and xtra ducting to cool the finned sump in place.
    My co-driver is a Pug 309GTi driver, with good gravel rally experience, so we will share driving and navigating. I hope my navigating experience last year and 2 1 day Targa events earlier this year will have prepared me for this. I expect it will be a blast(5.5 days,Auckland to Wellington).
    Cheers
    Don cheers!

Advertisement

XTC
    You lucky duck ... have fun man, stay safe and snap some Pug pictures for us !!

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Hi Don.

Nick here just wishing you a great trip and no crashing this time. I want to see you in the finishing cars line up! Anyway have great fun and talk to you later.

Nick.
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

Cal
    Good luck Don. I may end up selling the Unichip I got for mine. I have never got around to fitting and tuning it. I have been using my other car for all competetion stuff this year. BTW, that idiot never finished that airbox either.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Good luck! Is there a website where we can keep up to date on your progress? Last year they did a 1 hour show in review, I think it was on SBS or something...hope they do that again with so many Pugs. The T16 was there last year, wasn't it?
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Is it only on the NOrth Island? Bummer if it is, because there are some great roads on the South Island or so I have been told.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!
    there are some awesome rally roads in the north island too, probably better drivers roads than the south island. I think you could drive from auckland to wellington and not drive more than 500m in a straight line if you chose a suitable route.

The Targa-NZ website has been done for days now - weird?
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

XTC
    WRX2PUG:
    The Targa-NZ website has been done for days now - weird?
    Done or down ??? ... looks fine to me ???
    <a href="http://www.targa.co.nz/" target="_blank">http://www.targa.co.nz/</a>

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Hi Guys
    Back at work today, with a grin a mile wide-probably take a week to lose it.
    Wayne Gair & I finished in 127th place overall out of approx. 170 finishers & 193 starters. We were 48th in Class(moderns).
    It was the most fun you can have for a week with your pants on!!!
    Weather was wetter than any of the previous Targa's I have toured in, but we had a great run. Only mechanical prob. was exhaust pipe working loose at joint in front of rear muffler-needed tightening twice. After 2.5 days we swapped the Formula R's front-back/back-front, reset pressures, and on final day with 2 stages around Wellington waterfront, lowered pressures by 2lbs both front and rear to hasten tyre warm up. Fair to say we only had 1 rallying "moment"- on the final waterfront stage, on cold tyres only 300-400 metres from start, the ass stepped out strongly but Wayne gathered it and we finished strongly(he had warned me in the a.m. when I drove that stage in the opposite direction that there would be salt slick on road!!!). He drove brilliantly in the wet(loves it from gravel rallying and autocross eventing), and I improved a lot from watching him & taking his advice. The Quaife LSD was a huge safety feature enabling us to power out of wet, gravel on tarmac or cowshit on corners situations and the grooved rotors with Mintex intermediate rally/race front pads were fade free on the roads. We drove 4 race track stages,Pukekohe(me),Taupo(wayne),Manfield(dry-Wayne) & Manfield(pouring wet-me).I messed up on Manfield with a few wet spins, but all other track runs were brilliant.
    We used 300ml of TOTAL synthetic oil, about 200ml of mixed coolant, no extra brake or power steering fluids and replaced no parts, although we carried the most essential spares. The overheat warning light came on in the 2nd last stage -Makara, but Wayne was giving it max. stick, as he knew the road having driven it many times in ordinary conditions in either his 309GTi or his wife's 205GTi. He did a time of 9m 57secs compared with a Mini 1275GT developed to Cooper specs which did 10min 20secs in the hands of another experieced local Wellington driver. It was a sensational drive for our 159bhp car.
    Wayne is soooooo impressed with the Mi16 engine he wants to fit the BX19 16v motor he has bought for his 309-tomorrow or the next day at latest.
    Wayne's wife and a mate of his John, were our service crew, who did a great job keeping both car and drivers watered ,fuelled and fed. The 405 was comfortable, grippy, and rev happy. We talked to Murray Walker & Chris Amon while waiting immediately behind them for a stage start, and I got their autographs on my Route Book-quite cool.
    I will buy the CD rom of my car, with dig. shots from all stages, when available and will get some help to post some pics. What a buzz it was !!!!!!
    Cheers
    Don wink cheers!

Cal
    Good work Don. Sounds like you guys had a blast. The old Mi16's still holding there own hey.

Cheers,

Cal. dance
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Don,
    great stuff, I was at Puke briefly and saw the pug tearing around the circuit. Sounds like you had awesome fun. I may try and run in the 'tour' next year as funds nor car (or wife)allow me to run in the targa proper at this stage...
    I also kept an eye on another fellow frogger- Ross Webster. It showed a clean pair of heels to the full race prepared (and very well driven) Fiat Abarth Corsa of Mike Lowe around the Puke race track!! I am sure Ross or Frans will post something about it in a few days, but I understand they did really well too. All up a good amount of French representation - about 10 pugs/renos- no citroens though- any comments re this?

Ben

Ben et al
    There was 1 Citroen in Targa NZ-Ron Mackesy's Xzara Coupe(Dunedin lawyer). Wayne my codriver helped them on Friday night fit a new CV joint boot-he provided puller and expertise! Ron is an experienced pedler, drove an 01 Pug 106 S16 last year(yellow) and was highly placed in class, had driven 106 Clubsport for about 4 years previously.Check the Targa website <a href="http://www.targa.co.nz" target="_blank">www.targa.co.nz</a> for his overall & class placing.
    I can totally agree about Ross Webster's Targa, he went very well indeed, we were behind him on 2 shorter,winding & hilly stages and could not catch him although we got him into sight within finish area once.
    We were also behind Mike Lowe on a couple of occasions in similar terrain, that Fiat Abarth is so well driven and so reliable-an icon Targa car now, as I think Ross's Dauphine will become after a similar period of time.
    Cheers
    Don

Thanks everyone for your congratulations, do have a look at the website-www.targa.co.nz for the overall results and class results.
    From my perspective the 2 Peugeot disappointments were Peter Johnston's 205 T16 WRC failure(into 2nd day)-he has yet to finish a Targa event in that car.Gearbox broke again apparently. He had a sequential gearbox made for the car on OZ, but since he presumably has a standard T16 manual box for the car, which coped with the power in its earlier life, I can't understand why he does not revert to that.
    The other disappointment was my mate's 504Ti. Greg blew up his rally motor after about 2.5 days, then did an engine change to his spare motor, which was in near standard tune, but that overheated and blew a head gasket with ? warping of head so that put them out during 4 th day.
    Greg was then offered the navigator's seat in Peter Lubrano's Alfa Sud(NSW visitor) on the Saturday, so finished the event in a different car. It was hard luck after all Greg's previous motor failures last year, crashes last year and in the Dash and his huge rush to get the 504 prepared in time for this big event..
    Cheers
    Don

Cal
    So Don, there is no problem at all in sharing the driving of special stages 50/50, like in Targa Tasmania?

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Thanks for the complements Don and Ben
    Yes a great Targa for us as well. Second in class behind the Abarth, 11 in historic and 120th overall (not bad for a 1962 car with 1400cc).
    We loved the rain, I had made some suspension changes to the car before the rally and was unsure how it would handle but it was just great. Our best stage place was 90th which was stage 3 in the pouring rain.
    Unlike Don we had plenty to keep the service crew busy. Starter motor, alternator, cracked extractors, 3 breakages in the front suspension, etc, etc.
    Had one off on day 2, came in too hot into a 90 degree left hander into a one lane bridge and decided the bank would be a better option. Only minor damage luckily and once again great work by the team meant we didnt miss any stages.
    Well done Don. We could see your driving improving as the targa went on.

Ross renault_
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Hi Cal
    No, there was no problem in having both crew drive special stages. We would have been the exception with 2 "drivers" rather than driver & navigator but it worked well for both.
    If you do reconsider about fitting the Unichip to your Mi16, then I would be a very willing buyer.
    The mods I think we need for future are to get more cooling into engine bay, remove spotlights and take cool air to air flow meter as Gerald Cullen has done, remove aircon-compressor,condenser and sundry piping, remove burglar alarm,rechip with Unichip, replace rubber susp. bushes with urethane. Just small enhancements(apart from Unichip) so that reliability is not compromised.
    Cheers
    Don wink

Cal
    Don,

Neil and I are considering coming over to do Targa NZ. Assuming we have a fully prepared car, what would you say a fair budget would be? Including entry fee, shipping, food, accom ect ect. Everything I suppose. Ball park anyway?

I will let you know about the Unichip. Send me a PM or email if you like, with an offer you think is fair and we can go from there.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Default Targa NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Don,

Neil and I are considering coming over to do Targa NZ. Assuming we have a fully prepared car, what would you say a fair budget would be? Including entry fee, shipping, food, accom ect ect. Everything I suppose. Ball park anyway?

I will let you know about the Unichip. Send me a PM or email if you like, with an offer you think is fair and we can go from there.

Cheers,

Cal.
    [COLOR=Red]

Hi Cal
    Bloody great to hear that you & Neil may come over for TNZ next year. Next year there will be 6 full days of rallying, as they are including route to Napier on East Coast-New Plymouth on West Coast, being the widest part of North Is. It is 10th anniversary of TNZ.
    I will find out trans Tasman shipping costs and prepare an approx. budget, which I will send as a personal email. There were a good no. of Aussies in event this year. We helped a near new Lotus Elise's
    crew(from OZ) that had a racing incident on Pukekohe track on prologue day, with materials for repair to bodywork and then returned 2 of their mates driving a Porsche 928 V8 back to their hotel in Auckland, as cars had to stay in Parc ferme at nights. There is great cameraderie among contestants.
    Rest assured we would make facilities available in Auckland, and try to accomodate you both depending on how many service crew we had from Wellington(was 2 this year).
    Will keep you posted.
    Don

Hi Don,

Sounds like you are having fun! What car number where you so i can grab some images.

Nick
    Auckland NZ -

Brisbane Aus -

Hi guys and well done

Like Cal, I'm pretty keen to do Targa NZ, perhaps next year if I can get the car going as I want and the budget together. I have heard that the entry fee from Oz includes shipping to and from NZ from any major Australian port?

I'd be interested in budget details as well as it looks awesome and is cheaper than Targa Tasmania. Also do you need a full roll-bar as with Targa Tassie?

Cheers
    Steve
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

I'm not sure if it will be next year as I will be going to Europe for a month and the budget will not allow both. That is unless Cal's going to pay for the lot?

But we will be doing it at some point soon.

Neil
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by neil
    That is unless Cal's going to pay for the lot?

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Icon7

Hi Don,

I'm back in the home country next year and i might make it up for the Targa is it around the same time and what time is the small targa on , will you be completing in it??

Nick
    Auckland NZ -

Brisbane Aus -

Icon6 Targa NZ

The Targa Bambina was 22/23 March this year, so will be closest weekend to that date-I will check with Targa website and confirm. Yes, I definitely intend to compete in that event. It is usually a hot and dry drive. Entry fee was $500+gst in 2003 and should be same in 2004, as same format/similar course.
    Usually attracts 140-150 competitors.
    Cheers
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information