Berlingo That Caused a Fire
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Berlingo That Caused a Fire

<small>[ 06 March 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: MusTang ]</small>

Advertisement

I think this should go into the "Common Faults" area.

Interesting story , a tad scary too. Thankfully noone was hurt but mind boggles how Citron manages to mishandle the PR. I thinkt he wife's conversation with the sales would have been a tad on the uptight scale, but it still does not excuse a lack of basic understanding of how to handle irate customers.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

UFO
    There have been reports of this happening with various model cars mostly O/S - not just Citroens and not just Berlingos.

Part of the problem lies with the petrol stations not having properly earthed fuel pumps. This is a conduit for the electricity as well.

Citroen has acknowledged the problem, as is stated by the original poster, but perhaps the approach from both ends of the discussion were inappropriate?

This sort of incident is more prevalent in the USA with other brand cars due to:

>people wearing a higher amount of synthetic fibres and rubber soled shoes
    >people getting back in their vehicles while the car is filling (technically not possible in Aus as lock on pumps are banned)
    >more cold and dry air increases potential of static electricity.

Perhaps someone from Ateco is reading this and may wish to respond.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

This gives filling up my Berlingo a whole new meaning
    eek!

It has to be abnormal for the Berlingo to have a plastic fuel tank?
    Or is this normal these days?

I wonder who would be responsible if one of these events caused the servo to go up?
    Perhaps Citroen should do the smart thing & recall the models affected to correct this dangerous fault.

MusTang:
    he asked if her husband wanted a new car or his one paid out or what does he want,she told him that she will speak to him later on and get back to them..
    Are you serious? eek! eek!
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Tadpole
    [

<small>[ 06 March 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: MusTang ]</small>

UFO
    Something strange is going on here perhaps...

While I have heard of Berlingos causing this situation, why has MusTang suddenly deleted everything that was posted before? Were legal type suggestions made in his direction?

Perhaps a moderator should close this one now but leave the message here for future ref?

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Does the prospects of someone saying "belt up or you'll get nothing" sound about right?
    Personally, I think this should have been handled "in camera" as they say in Local Government, so that an attempt was made to sort the whole affair one on one rather than dragging it into the public arena at this early stage.
    It was always going to be a bit iffy given that he was speaking as a third party and not as the one directly involved.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

It appears MusTang has withdrawn his post and whilst respecting his wishes I feel this is important enough to explain briefly..

A ‘vehicle’ in this case a Citroen Berlingo has been involved in a fire at a service station, whilst re-fuelling, the bowsers spout ignited. In this instance fortunately no injuries were sustained and the fire was promptly extinguished.

Craig UFO rightly pointed out this situation is not exclusive to the Berlingo, the small amount of reading I have done since this post supports his view and suggests the possible cause to be static electricity, this is becoming more prevalent as more plastics and synthetics are being used in the manufacture of modern vehicles.

It is interesting to note that it is not the charge that is created whilst the vehicle is in motion, some several thousand volts, (this charge is grounded within a second of the vehicle coming to a standstill) but the charge created when you slide in and out of the vehicle, this is the static that is discharged when you again make contact with any metal or conductive surface on the vehicle.

My science is not the best so I suggest the following link is worth a look,

<a href="http://www.soton.ac.uk/~wolfson/electronews/homecar.htm" target="_blank">http://www.soton.ac.uk/~wolfson/electronews/homecar.htm</a>

Something also worth mentioning is that in the above stated case Citroen inspected the vehicle and it was suggested that they applied some form of fix; maybe owners of Berlingos should investigate this fix.

This post should be of concern to all of us and possibly should reside in Chit Chat.

Speculation as to why MusTang withdrew his post is just that, so lets not go there wink

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information