OIL change when?
  • Register
  • Help

OIL change when?

The following study is being conducted as we speak on <a href="http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html" target="_blank">web page here</a> on the longetivity of synthetic oils using single car (I know its a GM product but they probably didnt want to possibly damage anything worthwhile) wink , same grade of oil, and religiously taking samples at 1,000kms and having them analised at the same laboratory.

Advertisement

Interesting reading, Mobil 1 5w/30 test has just finished, with conclusion suggesting at 18,000miles it could have probably went longer. Amsoil test due to begin shortly.

cheers
    Voytek

<small>[ 23 October 2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

great link Voytek, thanks for that. I'm very curious to see how Amsoil goes. Not that I'm using it anymore, but Tonia still is...
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Lincoln,

I expected to see you here, considering your own oil testing experiments. wink

Like you (and probably Paul) I cant wait for the results to start appearing.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

...Voytek. remember that old stuff iused to carry to the track, in an old bottle. Well that was a blend of Mobil SuperSynth 75% and Castrol Magantec 25%, got it from a few race guys in the NSSCC, who swearr by it. Id like to a test on it too... but perhaps not really worth while. - chris
    ... ptui!

I had the Amsoil tested in the GTi6 after 20000km, which was just a small test on electricity conductivity, which indicated that the oil was still good. These thorough tests are much better though. It'd be interesting to see how a dino oil would hold up here too, just for comparisons sake.

I'm using Neo (5w30) in the Micra now and it's running so smooth. I'm sure Amsoil would give similar smoothness, but the car is a lot smoother than it ever was on the dino/dino-semi synth I was running before.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Thread Information