My day of fun at Wakefield!!
  • Register
  • Help

My day of fun at Wakefield!!

I was going to put this in the Club section but, thought we might all like to know,.... besides it wasn;t through any real club....
    Yesterday (5/3/03) i did my first open day at Wakefield, and IM HOOOKED!!!!, leaving sydney about 6:45 we arrived well early and got breifed and paid our DUES, its $30 for yearly license and $100 for the whole day, about 18 cars went down and we had the track to our selves. We paid the $100 to the organiser, who then after some clever rules so people don't hit each other we were let loose!!,..
    Rookies (like me) were let out first to LEARN the track, and the racing line is not a obvious as it seems at first, but i had a good mate to show me a good line, safe but very quick.
    Then until 4pm it was all go for those who wanted with about 10-12 cars at the most on track at any given moment...
    It's run-against-the-clock and for a first timer im pleased with the result, very pleased... infact coz of the great time i finished the day with i could have SOLD my car to a bloke who "just want it!".... funny.
    I was slow with my first session in the 1min 28's being the quickest... the top runners (a worked RX7 S6) was doing 1:17's.. which is quick and a R34 GTR was doing 1:19's flat.
    By the END of the day in the last session i had i got my times down to regular 1:22's and two laps were 1:21's, so i was happy.
    To compare the Top 3 fastest time were 1:16 by Worked RX7, 1:17 by modified B4 Lyberty on Semi-Rubber, and a GTS Monaro (slightly modded for 340Kw) doing 1:18's all day,..... but that RX7 was untouchable, he was driving like and idiot and got two 1/2 hour suspension but drifted for 1 whole lap and still did a 1:19!! freak.
    My AZENIS copped very little abuse as i only came off track three times, while trying to learn the track. Im very glad i purchased a race seat wink
    The drive home i had a grin approve (tyred on at that) from ear to ear!!.... i now cant wait for our day at Wakefield on the 25th.
    Xq mallet

Advertisement

ps, my tips are, learn the track with some one who knows the line(s), fill about Half way with petrol, not much more or less. Bring drinks and food, bring TOOLS and TAPE, CABLE TIES etc. and a hat!!
    ... ptui!

Cal
    Good to hear you had a good time. I've got my first hillclimb in the Pug next Sunday 16/3. Looking forward to it.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Awesome Chris - glad you enjoyed it.

A couple of things - how did your brakes go?

What speed were you reaching at the straight?

Were you braking for turn one?

Did you overheat the Azenis?

Engine mount problems?

Just to scare you, I have two mates in road going 200sx's that are both doing under 1:10's. One of them should be doing 6's shortly.

Good to here you had a great day. Wuillemins were doing 1:14 - 1:15 last year in their relatively standard (if you can say that) 205/Mi16. Makes those big hp cars look ordinary! Supersprints are at Oran Park this Sunday. There are at least three 205's entered.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Would the times have been affected by the temperature on the day?
    When the comparo's are made I would think that a second or two per lap wouldnt be out of the question?

ideas?

Chris
    How many km's did you do? (just trying to get an idea how much fuel is needed).
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

we know now who two look out for
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Hi guys,
    Cal, i want to try hillclimbs too.

Maq, Brakes my EBC gear didn;t miss abeat all day perfect.
    Down the straight i can just hit on 160.
    Turn 1 i learned by the end to just drift through, and brake real late into tircky no2, which you need to get right for the climb up.
    NO faults with the car, except the AZENS did shit themselves after more than 5 laps straight so i then did warm down lap to rest them out.
    Tekkie As for fuel i used about two 3/4 of a tank coz i did a lot of laps and heat up and down idling too, but i kept the tank about 1/2 to 3/4 full, more and it weights you down and i can actually feel the fuel moving in the tank. too little and you can starve out the pump, and the engine might stall, but that didnt happen to me.
    As for 1:10's thats very quick and the heat of the day made the times slow (most there were experinced and said they ad put down better times in cooler weather), also the track needed some work, its not as well looked after compared to Eastern creek for example.
    The RX7 that did a 1:16 said that hes got a 1:12 out there on low boost, higher boost is fun on the straight but it weel spins too much for quick times. But once he sorts out his suspension and overheating problems (it is a rotor), he's confident to dip in the 1:10's.
    But power isn't everything, a stock F2 charade on Kumo ectas did a 1:18 flat, so it goes to show its your technique that counts.
    Im awaiting some emails from these guys to tell me other times as the times i posted above were what we measured with our stop watches. so there is a degree off there either way.
    Xq

ps cant wait for 25th!
    ... ptui!

did my first open day at Wakefield, and IM HOOOKED!!!!,
    haha i know exactly how you feel. I did my first track day at Calder last year and it was the best fun i have ever had i couldn't stop talking about it for weeks.

I did the Jim Murcott Racecraft day...the instructors tell you about racing give u techniques racing lines and some drills then they let you loose on the track.

I didn't take the 306(it prob would have blown up lol) but the Mitsubishi GTO....and i can tell you now i wanna do more track days.

We had 2 timed laps the first was before they taught us how to drive and i pulled a crappy 1:25. At the end of the day we had 1 more timed lap i pulled a 1:16 which is ok but still fairly crap.

The biggest mistake i made was not getting race pads...i used normal road Bendix pads and they shat themselves after a few laps.
    I.e I was doing 215kmph down the main straight at Calder and my brakes just faded really bad....i was pumping the brakes and everything LUCKILY Calder has a run off area so i ended up going straight through the gravel road and through sum gate into a paddock....i got out of the car and smoke was pissing out of all 4 wheel arhches lol

Anyways after that i broke very conservatively....if i had of got race pads i should of been able to get a better time plus by the end of the day heat sink was setting in and the turbos were quite hot... but now im just making excuses Max Biaggi style.lol

Anyways the other cars racing that day were unbelievable the guy that lives up my street brought his modded R33 GTR N1 and pulled a 1:10
    he also brought his Ferrari F355

There was a extremely worked R33 GTR with the biggest turbo i have ever seen this thing is rumoured to have 900+HP. There was also a single turbo race GTO pushing 500+HP. The GTR pulled a 1:03 and the GTO a 1:05.

Anyways sorry to blabber on but i get excited when talking about the track day i did and only after you have done one do you realise how much fun they are.

Your one sounds unreal and id love to race at Wakefield but its a problem seeing as though i live in Melbourne
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

WRCPUG,
    you should try Winton raceway, 3 1/2 hr drive somewhat cheaper than Calder & a damn good drive.
    I've been hill climbing & sprinting since 1972 and i'm still hooked
    renault_ renault_ renault_ renault_ renault_ renault_ renault_ renault_
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

I was wrong. Owen W. corrected me. They were doing 1:12-1:13 with their std. 205/Mi16 on new Formula R's. Should be quicker this season though. They've got 200+ hp now.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

<span><span class=ResizableText0>
    Originally</span> posted by PeterT: <strong>I was wrong. Owen W. corrected me. They were doing 1:12-1:13 with
    their std. 205/Mi16 on new Formula R's. Should be quicker this season though. They've got 200+ hp <span class=ResizableText0>now.
    </span> </span>
    DumlopR's, mmm a trend is forming here at my outing all the top runners too were running the R's and had good consistent times.
    On the 11/12 (two days away) or march im doing my Ian Luff race training and CAMS endorsement. That should help get my times down too, with the current package ill be happy with 1:18's or better, for my next upgrade i will put tuned headers and Silverstone slicks. Once again i hope to get in minute and teen something low ie 14,15's... next Oran park, then Easter Creek.
    Maybe something radical to the egine too..... waiting till its more certain.

Xq

ps, bring on the 25th at Wakefield.
    ... ptui!

Thread Information