Side mirror got swiped...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Side mirror got swiped...

Got up this morning, walked out, and saw something's wong with my driver side mirror...
    Upon closer inspection, the mirror is shattered and flew across the street, the "cover" is damaged on the road, door panel and front quarter panel scratched in two places (most likely due to bending and flying cover), electric mechanism and the rest seems ok other then a bit of a scuff marks.

the truck (driver left a note) must be travelling at a reasonably high speed...

Advertisement

The only thing good in this incident is that glad to know that there are still people that leaves a apology note after damaging your car...

did he leave detials for insurance and cost of repair on the note. or just a sorry

It does restore ones faith in humanity a little when you get a note. My friend clipped a Daewoo in her R21 in a car park (small dent to guard of reno vs totaled quater panel on Daewoo ), and she of course left a note. When they rang her, they were so surprised and relieved to have found a note it made the whole thing a lot less stressful than it could have been.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

it is good to see in this world we live in people take responsabilities for their actions just by leaving a note.

I was sitting at a set of lights once, and a guy on a harley type bike came in between myself and the other car on my left. And actuallt bumped into me, putting a few scratches on my car. He looked back at where he had hit me, but not at me to at least acknowledge what he had done...

now that got me angry. he could have at least looked at me, and just made a jesture of sorry.. it's the small things that sometimes mean so much..
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Mitch Mi16:
    it is good to see in this world we live in people take responsabilities for their actions just by leaving a note.

I was sitting at a set of lights once, and a guy on a harley type bike came in between myself and the other car on my left. And actuallt bumped into me, putting a few scratches on my car. He looked back at where he had hit me, but not at me to at least acknowledge what he had done...

now that got me angry. he could have at least looked at me, and just made a jesture of sorry.. it's the small things that sometimes mean so much..
    You expected more from a harley rider??
    Plently of moron riders out there too, i used to know a guy who used to love telling stories of his exploits on bikes, like when he knocked a mirror off a car at the lights and got chased by its driver when he did a runner, and of been chased by cops etc. And he wondered why I would never get on a bike with him...

my mum made a mess of reversing out of our driveway one day putting a small dent and scratch on a newish Tarago. Left a note with contact details.
    The driver turned up and asked if my mum was ok, then said "thanks for the note, my husband is a panelbeater so you shouldnt worry" and left.

On the flip side, I had a "pleasure" of returning to my car finding scratches on grille, bent bonnet lip and a bent Pug bonnet emblem. Well the offending vehicle was white judging by thepaint left over and to top it off the security cameras didnt cover that part of the carpark. moon

<small>[ 22 October 2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Hmmmm, yeah now i think about it... your right, what was i expecting.... Oh i'm sorry dear chap, i seem to have scratched your car...

thankfully that has been the worst of the mishaps i've had, seem to be lucky compared to some of you guys so far...
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

When I lived down the Gold Coast, I came back to my car to find the front guard & door stove in and a note under the wiper.
    It gave the description of the car, rego number & description of the driver and was put there by a guy working in an office opposite. I contacted the coppers who said to leave it to them to sort out.
    They checked the number, went to the address & found the car with the colour of my car all over the back end and the engine still hot. The old boiler who was driving the car denied the car had been out; she reckoned the engine was warm from her driving it back in off the front lawn after washing it. She threatened the copper that she'd take action against him if he pursued the matter on no evidence.Copper suggested civil action.
    I go to a solicitor who sends a letter. He gets a threatening phone call claiming harrassment. The copper let it slip that someone in the complex had seen her do it, so she went doing a door to door "looking for whoever was trying to cause trouble" for her.
    She had the lot of them bluffed with her threats and everyone knew it was her; everything was spot on as described by the witness who by now along with the copper & solicitor were shit scared of this psycho bitch, so I told them to forget it....then one night, I'm driving through the pub car park and there IT is...her Falcon. So I parked, casually walked near the beer garden & there she was half pissed, so I returned to my vehicle (not the car she hit but my Toyota 1 1/2 ton ubte with a big nurfing bar across the back attached to the tow ball and then tragedy eek! eek! my foot slipped off the clutch & it went backwards right into her front guard and door; exactly where my car copped it. I did the right thing though, I left a note "Guess who?? and I don't know how it happened; I haven't been out all day. I have called the Police for you." moon moon

Who says there's not a God

Alan S cheers!

<small>[ 22 October 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

kinda off topic, but i had a guy on a push bike come up beside my car, he was twisitng and turning his wheels to maintain balance whilst we were waiting at the lights. he gave up on this after a while, so he just put his hand on my front quarter panel/bonnet.... not a good move.

so i reversed back about 1m. that sorted him out

XTC
    Xsara:
    That's just mean .. do you how hard it is to stay clipped in and balance on the spot ? ... I can do it for a short while - but not long - surely he wasn't going to damage your car (and yes he would have taken off well before you would have) ..

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC206:
    Xsara:
    That's just mean .. do you how hard it is to stay clipped in and balance on the spot ? ... I can do it for a short while - but not long - surely he wasn't going to damage your car (and yes he would have taken off well before you would have) ..

- XTC206 -
    Hear hear, as a cyclist I wouldnt use a car to hold myself up, but what damage was a steadying hand going to do?

XTC
    Haakon:
    Hear hear, as a cyclist I wouldnt use a car to hold myself up, but what damage was a steadying hand going to do?
    I normally look for a pole, or unclip if I can't sustain the balance while still. Sure you probably shouldn't put you hand on a car - but by in large car drivers show NO respect to cyclists ...

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

XTC206
    [QB- but by in large car drivers show NO respect to cyclists ...

- XTC206 -[/QB]
    Also true - I have been known to put little fist shaped dents in the bonnets of cars that try to kill me, but only if they have genuinly nearly killed me...

i dont think it was mean, its my car hands off. simple. unclip your shoes, thats quite easy. when i am walking down the street i dont just sit on a pushbikes backtyre to rest myself on. even worse he was riding increadibly slow in the centre of the road and holding up everyone.

XTC
    Xsara:
    i dont think it was mean, its my car hands off. simple. unclip your shoes, thats quite easy. when i am walking down the street i dont just sit on a pushbikes backtyre to rest myself on. even worse he was riding increadibly slow in the centre of the road and holding up everyone.
    Don't ride much do you ?

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!
    Xsara:
    did he leave detials for insurance and cost of repair on the note. or just a sorry
    Left a business card with only business details and no personal details or rego number, and a sorry note on the back. Called back to get rego and drivers details, and still waiting for a call back....the driver was out and about...

Alan S
    [QB](not the car she hit but my Toyota 1 1/2 ton ubte with a big nurfing bar across the back attached to the tow ball and then tragedy eek! eek! my foot slipped off the clutch & it went backwards right into her front guard and door; exactly where my car copped it. I did the right thing though, I left a note "Guess who?? and I don't know how it happened; I haven't been out all day. I have called the Police for you." moon moon

Who says there's not a God QB]
    Alan, that's awesome! Good work.

JG.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Oh isn't revenge sweet.....

I used to race mountain bikes and i could trackstand (maintain balance) for a little while, but i would never used someone elses car to balance.. i might use a mates car to balance, but only on the pillar next to the windscreen...

On another incedent involving me while riding, i was crossing the road at a zebra crossing, This person of other ethnic background, almost runs me down. So i unclipped, almost ready to scratch cleats across the front of her bonnett, but thought better of it... wasn't gona be worth the hassle if she kicked up a stink.
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Yeah its generally not worth the hassle to hurt someones car, I've only ever done it in that big flash of adrenalin you get when you've just had the shit scared out of you... When I get a really big fright, the next thing that happens is I get really annoyed

It's not that drivers have no respect for bike riders, it's bike riders that want to much from the drivers... I know that we should be able to "co-exist" on the roads. But what generally pisses me off is when you have to bikes riding side by side, taking up half a lane, when right next to them is a bike path??? Clearly it would be easier to use the bike path, then when they ride down the road a little bit further they get to a set of traffic lights, so then they use the bike path for like 3 meters, then get back on the road??
    Personally the reason why I dun like riders on the road is I spent a lot of money and time getting a licence, to earn the right to use a road, and you get those jokers riding half on half off the road... By and large I dun have a problem with actual riders, just the losers that think they own the road on a push bike... snail
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

Last November while my 505 was parked in the street someone hit the front on the passenger side.

Headlight totalled, bumper pushed in, grille cracked, bonnet v-dented and now difficult to close.
    No apology, no note, no witnesses.
    Letter-boxed the street but zippo results.

Last month same car gets 45 degree, 12 inch long, 2 inch wide scrape on rear passenger door while in secure carpark at work.
    Electrical contractors working close to car but again no acknowledgement or responsibilty taken.

Makes me wonder now what I'll do if the boot is on the other foot.
    --------------------------------
    Frustrated and Agrieved

Makes me wonder now what I'll do if the boot is on the other foot.
    --------------------------------
    Frustrated and Agrieved[/QB]
    Dont stoop to their level! You have to be able to look yourself in the mirror after all- a conscience can be really annoying sometimes :p wink

<small>[ 24 October 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

XTC
    buzzedmi16:
    It's not that drivers have no respect for bike riders, it's bike riders that want to much from the drivers...
    Get on any bike forum and I'll find it's drivers that are the main problem ... there isn't a single rider who hasn't crashed due to the stupidity of the driver or had an NDE.

Drivers forget they have 1000kgs of metal etc wrapped around them ... riders have nothing except a helmet, gloves, a thin layer of lycra, skin and bike that is lucky to weight 10kg under them ... no contest.

As for owning the road .. we are entitled (by law) to a lane. Trust me, serious riders treat cars with far more respect then you think. I know I do.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Yep - I have some good scars were I took my elbow and knee off down to the bone when some silly women in a car cut me off when she came down a one way street the wrong way. I was given the choice of hitting her new Merc or the pavement, and I made the wrong choice - if I hit her car, she might not have driven off oblivious to the whole thing, and I might have got back the $200 it cost to fix my bike and the 2 weeks off work with major pain and blood poisoning....
    When riding with a friend, I ALWAYS take up the whole lane - it makes people wait for sensible oppertunities to pass (or at least slow down) rather than try to squeeze past me at warp speed with inches to spare. But on the whole, I stick to the bush for riding - its no use being in the right when I'm in hospital or dead....

Fellow Frogger!
    Finally talked to the manager and got the driver details and had a chat, they want to pay for my damages instead of going through insurance, so the premium doesn't go up, I understand that. Just want to confirm with you guys that this is OK? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information