All suggestions gratefully accepted.
  • Register
  • Help

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

As most are aware, we get a posting from time to time from Jon Woods from the UK who is the I/T Administrator of Andyspares.
    I've been associated with Jon since pre-January 2001 when a new forum was established as an "extra" to their website and on-line shop and this forum was looked upon by many as the ultimate forum for French cars as it had a solid technical base, catered for all models from all over the World and had the backing of Andyspares who must have gained financially from the volume of business it generated both directly & indirectly even though it was never used by Jon or Andyspares as a tool to promote their business over any others & in fact was generating business obviously due to that; people were talking of positive experiences and if anyone had a negative, it was usually sorted out in the public arena which hence gave Andyspares the look & feel of "whiter than white" to those doing business with them.
    However, it appears that Andyspares forum was so successful that there became a cost factor due to the amount of bandwidth it was using & last month cost almost A$2000 in fees. As a result, it would seem one of the Directors with more of an eye on the "bottom line" than the overall picture has decided it had to be shut down & yesterday it was without warning; it will be interesting to know what the effect overall on their business will be but he's the boss so it's happened.
    Jon is now looking for other avenues with lesser cost to restart this asset and is asking for input from those who might have any contacts or suggestions to forward them on to him.
    Here's the posting along with the contact for Jon.
    Anyone able to help a fellow keen Frogger like Jon??

Alan S

Advertisement

<a href="http://www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/" target="_blank">http://www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/</a>
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

How much bandwidth?

Can I suggest, if bandwidth is the issue, looking at POWWEB for hosting.
    It is very inexpensive & service is great.
    For only US$7.99 (per account) one could get 2 accounts & share the bandwidth between.
    You could juggle 60gig p/m & 6gigs per day.
    Or flick them an email & see what they can do.

<a href="http://www.powweb.com/" target="_blank">http://www.powweb.com/</a>

Thanks,

I'll pass that on.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hi all,
    Thanks for your suggestion Gerry.

It could be that I'll host the forum in its own right probably in the States as they seem much less bothered about bandwidth over there.
    I checked out Powweb, which is a terrific deal, but they do not support MS SQL server which is the DB that drives my forum. Doh.
    Have had a telling off of global proportions after I removed the forum and posted to the World exactly why I had taken it down. Note for budding Webmasters, do not make emotional goodbye posts after you have been to the pub for lunch!

I hope to have the Forum back and running as soon as I can, I miss it already!!

I'll check back in soon with more news.

<small>[ 08 March 2003, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Jon Wood ]</small>
    BX 1.7TD TZD 1993
    Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi 2004

Do you mean MySQL database?

They have that but it costs $10 initial setup fee.
    I believe this is a once off charge.

No, not MySQL, we have to use SQL Server, not alot of hosts support it, and with those that do we have to rent space on their own SQL server. We use SQL Server for the databases for both the Forum and our on-line Shop.The problem here is that our hosts regard traffic between our our server, and the SQL server as external bandwidth, and charge us for it accordingly (7.4GB last month just on SQL Server traffic disappro )
    The other option is to buy the MS SQL Server software, and install it ourselves on our own server, but its about 3500GBP.
    Anyway, other Andyspares Forum news, it is hoped that the Forum will be back up and running by the end of this week, I will report back soon.
    BX 1.7TD TZD 1993
    Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi 2004

Thread Information