Insurance to be cancelled????
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Cal

Insurance to be cancelled????

I will just give a few details of what has happened and perhaps someone can offer me advice. I currently have comprehensive insurance on my Peugeot with company XYZ (not sure if I am allowed to name them in here?). I am a rating 1 and until December last year had never made a claim on an insurance policy in 12 years of driving. I made a small clain of about $2800 relating to a handbrake not being applied properly. Anyway my policy costs about $570 a year on a 1990 Mi16.

The policy is due for renewal in July, at which time I will fall to a rating 3. I would therefore expect a policy increase of about 20%. I was talking with my insurer today, getting a quote on another vehicle. They won't even touch the other vehicle as it is modified. It seems that because of my traffic history, my current policy will not be renewed in July. In the last 5 years I have received a total of 4 speeding tickets. No other driving offenses.

I rang a different company and got a quote at rating 3 of $1600. I want to sort this out before they deny me insurance in July, as that will pose even more insurance problems in the years to come. Has anybody else got 4 or more speeding tickets in a 5 year period? What should I do?

Cheers,

Advertisement

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Have a talk to "Chipper" who is in the Insurance Industry.
    Sounds like you have a Company like AAMI who seem to have a habit of pulling weird stunts like this.
    My son copped 3 tickets (big ones) in about 3 months; 2 in Queensland & one in NSW and just recently insured a GT-R, mind you, it sure cost him but the tickets I don't think came into the picture.
    Shop around the usual suspects; Metway & Racq etc, & try "Young & Cool Insurance" they insured him where I wouldn't, and I'm his father... mallet mallet

Alan S

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

It might be possible to avoid having an "insurance denied" on your records by cancelling your insurance early (cashing it in) and getting insurance with another insurer. This way your record with them is shown as terminated by yourself.

Just an idea.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Hi Cal,

I have had 3 speeding tickets in the last 3 years. My current car is a 1976 Peugeot 504 which I wanted to have comprehensively insured because it is in good nick and I have spent a fair bit on it. I tried the company I was with at the time of purchase (GIO) but they said they do not comprehensively insure cars older than 25 years.

Through another French car buff, I heard about Shannon's Classic Car Insurance. They were willing to insure my car comprehensively, and had no problem with my driving history which I was completely up-front about. Cost ~$250 year. They might be worth trying, but I don't know whether they would consider the Mi16 to be a "classic car" or whether they also insure not-a-classic-car-yet vehicles.

Cheers,

Doug.
    renault_ peugeot_ renault_ peugeot_ renault_
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

I tried Shannons a while back, they didnt even know what an S16 was so wouldn't even look at me
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Cal
    Moderators feel free to can this if it is inappropriate. Shannons are the ones who quoted me $1600. They don't really feel it is a classic, rightly or wrongly. Funny because my father has a WRX STI & an MX5 insured with them. I am currently with Allianz, so Chipper will be getting a call.

So the moral of the story is, you will continue to be reemed long after the pig with the laser has done up his fly! Pricks.

Cal.

PS People with fish stickers and other do gooders, please don't lecture me about the speeding tickets. I'm not in the mood.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Phasis,

try Shanons again. Just don't speak to the braindead b!tch they have answering the phones there. She must loose them LOTS of business. I forget the guys name, but I'll let you know tomorrow that you want to talk to.

Maybe emailing them may be worth a try?

AAMI were scumbags that treated me like [email protected]+ whenver I tried to get quotes from them a few years back. Guess what?? Those younger poeple that you refused to cover ...... They get older, & of course wouldn't touch you with a barge pole now mallet

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I can see no wrong in naming names & quoting prices; if they think it's defamatory, well that's a self admission of guilt in my books.
    FWIW, I'm with Shannons and a couple of things worth remembering with them is that if you're under 29 you might as well have the beubonic plague and if the car is neither an antique or a classic, they really don't want your business.
    The only concession they will make is if you are a member of some kind of auto club; me, I'm a member of "aussiefrogs" which they actually did accept and whilst my car is not an antique, methinks I got such a good deal because the driver was.

Alan S cheers!

Alan S:

FWIW, I'm with Shannons and a couple of things worth remembering with them is that if you're under 29 you might as well have the beubonic plague and if the car is neither an antique or a classic, they really don't want your business.
    The only concession they will make is if you are a member of some kind of auto club...

Alan S cheers!
    I'm 36 so no problems there. But yes, one of the first things they asked me when I rang them for a quote was "are you a member of a Peugeot club?". I told them I wasn't (true enough) but that I was a bonafide rusted-on French car freak of at least ten years standing due to ownership of several R16's prior to the 504 etc. etc. (also true). The guy on the other end of the phone was happy enough with that, and then proceeded to tell me a great story about being chased out of some country in Africa, flat-out in a Renault 16, by a bunch of thugs with guns. The R16 saved his life. I then went on to tell him a couple of my stories, and much to my surprise they were still prepared to insure me after that! head_ban
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

I actually just got insurance for my newly acquired 205GTI with Shannons. The guy on the phone was telling me stories about some Renault rally car a mate of his has and how he loved 205's for their handling.

I got a limited km, modified vehicle policy and it cost me just under $600. I have 1 speeding ticket, soon to be 2 ( I got the notice after I took out the policy) and I had no problems getting insurance.

But then I'm also 31. I think its under 25 they don't want to touch.

And the older the vehicle, the more chance you have of them insuring your car, and the cheaper the policies get as a general rule.

Darren

Cal
    Shannons limited kms policies sound pretty good. Under 4000kms a year I think. Their quote on Toyota Sprinter (ducks for cover), I just bought for track work, was pretty good. About $600 also. I'm 28.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Hi Guys,

Ok I'm 28, listed a sh!tload of old Cit's I own with them. Told 'em I was a member of the CCCV and COCCA. I'm 28 & apparantly there 'ideal' customer (ie: nuts, & obvioulsy a car freak).

The CX2500 GTi Turbo personal import on limited milage is costing $640 a year.

The '63 ID19 club rego car is costing $89 a year.

The BX19tri is insured through whoever will gimme the cheapest 3rd party property insurance (which the cost of is rising dramaticly, couldn't get it cheaper than $140 this year ...). Scumbag insurance companies. ...

This is using multi car policy discount, & one speeding donation to the government (no traffic offences, and never had an accident).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Cal,

Out of curiosity, did you speak to Peter at Shannons Brisbane office?
    He's the guy I dealt with & seems very obliging.
    Their Brisbane office is at the corner ofOrange Grove & Riawena Roads, Salisbury.
    He seems to be out most of the day and usually gives me a call anywhere between 4 & 6 pm so depending where you work & live, you may even catch him after work.
    If he knocks you back, you can always do a burn out on his driveway; that'll fix 'im!! dance roll_lau dance

Alan S

insurance is a nightmare these days, but that's because there are so many people taking advantage and ripping off the insurance companies. They blame young drivers, drivers with speeding tickets etc, but really it's their lawyers that have to go to court and fight to win cases that take all the cash.

Anyway, try <a href="http://www.famousinsurance.com.au/" target="_blank">http://www.famousinsurance.com.au/</a>
    1995 306 XR

Cal
    Alan,

Phil is the guy I spoke to. He seemed pretty good, just not at all competitive. I told him I am a member of 3 different car clubs ect. They seem more competitive with older cars and also older drivers. I thought I was out of the woods there three years ago when I turned 25.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

You tried Suncorp Metway? I have no probs with insurance for my car, though I have only had 1 ticket in 3 years. The mods I have make no change to the premium or excess, only that if you have anymore then 2 of a certain class (ie lowered, exhaust and air-intake) your excess goues up another 300 to $650. No effect on the premium though.

Try their online insurance calculator.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

1000+ Posts
    Maybe I should have put this in the humour section but RACV quoted my $4400 to comprehensively insure my '89 Cressida. I gave them a good snort before asking about 3rd party fire+theft
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

I'll jump in here as I recon I've got a great deal, admitadly I'm over 25 by a decade or more but I have the 12 Gordini insured with Torque, there a fairly new mob and I know the only way to test any insurance company is to make a claim, which I have not done, and I've only had one ticket in the last 5 years but the 12G has full comp agreed value of $30,000 and only cost me $250 per year, they also agreed to ad the 17G (valued at $5,000) and the MI16 (valued at $10,000) to the policy for a total of $1,000 the lot. So far I'm not complaining. Give them a try, I recon I'm onto a good thing.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts
    Cal, this'll make you sick. Peugeot have 0% finance and free insurance for over 25's in the UK on all models of 206. eek!

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts
    Stuey:
    Cal, this'll make you sick. Peugeot have 0% finance and free insurance for over 25's in the UK on all models of 206. eek!

Stuey
    eeeeek and insurance in the UK is VERY expensive apparently. My cousin (female, same age as me - 23) bought a 1.4L Golf rather than the 1.6 or 1.8L Golf just before I visited them last year because the insurance was 'only GBP800' rather than something near double for the 1.6 and more for the 1.8.

That's $2400 Aussie for a female in a 1.4L car. I nearly died!!!

The insurance on my new 306 XSi is $1057 (or $210 more than my old 306 XR) with NRMA and I'm 23.

Derek.

rek
    UK insurance scares me.

I pay a touch over $1200 for insurance on an '00 306 GTi6 .. and I'm just 22 I guess having a claim-free, incident-free driving record pays off..

I tell you what, I have gotten a few shocker insurance premium quotes before though ...
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I can't believe how much some of you guys pay for insurance eek! eek! eek!

I'll drive my old bombs anyday, and just use bomb insurance before I'll pay in the thousands for comprehensive insurance :p (everyone else must get paid a sh!+load more than I do to afford insurance rates like this )

Yeah UK is a shocka when it comes to insurance, my father was getting horendous quotes over there for the CX turbo. They wouldn't accept his 30years of accident free, never had a speeding fine/demerit point history (even with certificates from his insurance company). He ended up insuring it on a monthly basis, and even that was hidiously expensive

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

We were/are paying $1350 per year for nominated driver and over 25y.o insurance for a $35000 agreed value GTi6. That's through CGU.

AAMI were $1100 or so, but I prefer to pay more for a company where I have choice of repairer.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Don't forget that your postcode has a bearing on your insurance premium as well as the type & model of car.
    A Valiant at Redfern would be a much higher premium than the same car at Concorde or a place like say Coffs Harbour.
    All of my premiums went down after I left the Gold Coast and went bush. When I was down there, Holden Statesman were the ultimate thieving toerags target with a mate of a friend staying at Rainbow Bay, would be thieves having 3 attempts in 2 nights at stealing it & 5 times in the first week. He then took the car home after the first week to get it repaired and caught the bus down...that's one way of saving the planet I suppose; own a car everybody is trying to pinch and then you're not game to use it. roll_lau roll_lau

Alan S mallet

Cal
    Seeing your question and the thread that developed reminded me that I intended to ask you about the cold air box that were fitting in February. Would you please send me a photo(digital attachment would be good) or two which clearly shows its size,shape,etc and some measurements would be helpful?
    Are you pleased with the result?
    Cheers
    Don wink

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information