OT: Moaning Hard Drive
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

OT: Moaning Hard Drive

Hope you don't mind the way OT post. I've put this on the PC World site too, but though I'd probably get a better answer here!

My HDD, a Quantum Fireball AS Series 30Gb 7,200 rpm jobbie, has started emitting this moaning whine sound which sounds like a rubber belt slipping, while it's spooling up, for about ten seconds. This only happens when it's cold, and never occurs any other time, nor is the computer affected in any way. Now, I know the motor is a direct drive, so there's no drive like a belt or roller. Any ideas? Could it be the bearings? I believe it's got hydrodynamic bearings (think that's what they're called - 'look Mum, no balls) but I'm not sure. I can't get it to perform for the computer shop that manufactured it about 18 months ago...The noise definitely doesn't sound critical, like the heads contacting. It's not the normal whining sound on start up, but quite a bit louder. I've heard the same sound from a VCR on the way out. Ideas?

Cheers

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Back up your data !

Ie, get a second drive, transfer all essential data to a partition on it, and leave 1st part free so you can load an operating system onto it in case the worst happens.

I dont think its wise to second guess a hard drive that makes "funny" noises.

When backing up the files remember to back up :
    mail, favorites, My documents, and any personal stuff you may have floating around the hard drive.

good luck.
    btw. 18mths .. wouldnt it mean the HD is out of warranty?
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts
    Thanks...yeah, I was going to run two HDD's anyway (one for a backup) but this was to be my primary! Bugger, but that's what I thought,too. I THINK it's out of warranty, but the HDD mfr may have two years, rather than one year like the computer builder. Unfortunately, Quantum have been taken over by Maxtor and the Quantum based info. on their site is a bit scant.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

My IBM "Deathstar" (Deskstar) has recently started whining as well, 18 months old

Changing to a Seagate 80Mb 8Mb Cache, will continue to use the IBM drive for the pagefile on a seperate controller until it finally dies.

I'm planning to use "Ghost" to move the data to the new drive, all critical data is now being stored and run from a seperate PC...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information