Checking oil level straight after running engine?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Checking oil level straight after running engine?

Just wondering...

Is there under any situation engine oil level are checked immediately after running the engine?

Advertisement

AFAIK the dip-stick are always read over night or at least when engine hasn't been turned for 15min or so, isn't it?

Need to ask to see if someone is BS-ting me...

<small>[ 20 October 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: rc968 ]</small>

A few minutes to drain back to sump, should be all that's needed. Unless the owners manual says different, it shouldn't matter whether the engine is hot or cold. Of course the longer the engine stands, the greater the drainage to the sump.
    When topping up a hot motor, i usually leave the level just below the top marker, as over filling can cause worse damage than slightly lower levels.
    2_cents

Ps: Lots of Auto trans require checking within 10 seconds of switch off.

<small>[ 20 October 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Damien Gardner ]</small>
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

1000+ Posts
    In your Clio the on-dash indicator won't show the oil level unless the engine's been off for a little while won't it?

My 306 is like that. If you stop the engine, and start it again a few minutes later it doesn't show the oil level.

The Clio distick isn't really designed for "regular" use - it requires a good stretch of the arm to do so!

Check your on-dash indicator each time you start up in the morning and you're set. If it ever shows something inconsistent, check it with the good ol' 10cm bright yellow dipstick!

Derek

Fellow Frogger!
    DeKa:
    In your Clio the on-dash indicator won't show the oil level unless the engine's been off for a little while won't it?
    Derek
    Yes, the on-dash oil level indicator is c\very handy, use it all the time, shame that it can tell if it's over filled (like after a service).

Unless your Clio works differently (?), on mine the "OIL OK" is always shown (and level can be read) after starting the engine, regardless if engine has just been running and stopped.

rc968:
    Just wondering...

Is there under any situation engine oil level are checked immediately after running the engine?
    Well, when it comes to cars with dry-sump motors (eg Porsche 911), you have to check the engine oil while the engine is running.
    Not sure if you'd get an accurate reading by checking it immediately after running the engine, though.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

rc968:
    Just wondering...

AFAIK the dip-stick are always read over night or at least when engine hasn't been turned for 15min or so, isn't it?

Need to ask to see if someone is BS-ting me...
    Some racers need to check the oil at both HOT and COLD readings, i think its coz they want to know how much returns to the sump under heat Vs under cold, hence if its thining out too much etc. But that last bit is a guess, all i know is i have seen lots of race cars do this. cheers - chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information