Importing half cuts from the US
  • Register
  • Help

Importing half cuts from the US

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that second hand French cars are worth nothing in the US and they seem to have more of some things than England and in some case even France. The 505 turbo and 505 V6 are a case in point. They are worth nothing in the US and seem to be easier to find there than in Europe. I guess that this is because cars in Europe go to the crusher pretty early and also because Peugeot focused on selling their top models in the US rather than the cheap ones. The warmer parts of the US like California and Texas seem to be the best places to look. I saw heaps of 505s when I was in San Diego for three weeks in February 1995.

Advertisement

There's a place in Austin Texas which has heaps of unregistered French cars in stock. I wonder if it would be worth a group of us putting in to get a shipping crate load of assorted bits which are rare and in demand Australia (heads, 15 inch alloy wheels, gearboxes, etc). A friend and I thought about doing this a couple of years ago, but we decided against it because there were only the two of us and my sister (who works in the import business) quoted a $2000 figure for 2 cubic meters worth of stuff. I'm not sure what the costs are now.

Just a thought.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

That place in Texas is called French Revolution (www.frenchrev.com). They haven't updated their website in a while because the "Junkyard sale" advertisment section has been there since mid 1999, which was when my friend and I thought about importing some 5 speed gearboxes, 15 inch alloy wheels and other stuff.

There's also another place in Georgia called Java MacGarage: www.athens.net/~macjava/Peugotpage.html

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information