Advanced Driver Training
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Advanced Driver Training

Hi all,

I was given a 2 part driver training course for my birthday - I did stage one in early February and stage 2 today, and thought I'd post a message about how much I learnt, and how much fun it was.

I did the course with Ian Luff Motivation Australia at Oran Park in the skid pan. <a href="http://www.ianluff.com.au/advanced.html" target="_blank">http://www.ianluff.com.au/advanced.html</a>

Stage 1 was really all about braking - in the dry, in the wet, with obstacles, with corners, tightening radius corners. There were a huge mixture of vehicles on Stage 1, from 4WD's to HSV Commodores, to a WRX STi, to my 306. The course started out with a fair bit of theory, but then half the morning and most of the afternoon were spent out on the skidpan in the vehicles. I got *really* sunburnt that day - ouch!

Advertisement

Stage 2 which I did today was all about maintaining (and/or attempting to regain) control of your vehicle in unexpected situations... like entering a corner too fast and realising *hey I'm going too fast for this* A major focus was on learning to recognise exactly what understeer and oversteer feel like, and how you need to react differently to these different types of skids. Nothing like feeling the lift off oversteer of the 306 in an environment where there's nothing to hit! Today we had a Nissan 200SX, an HSV Senator Signature, a Volvo 240, a Channel 10 Landcruiser WITH satellite transimitter on the roof, a Commodore V8 wagon and a Falcon ute - another wide variety of vehicles. The lady driving the Senator had great fun! Of course so did I. We finished up today with a cloverleaf pattern (start and end in the "garage" like at a motorkhana.

Both courses were run by Warren Luff (Ian Luff's son) and Ian Kimber and they both made it all very enjoyable. If you made a mistake or did something wrongly, they'd just get you to try it again and again until you got it right. For quite a few of the stage 2 tasks, you have one of the instructors in the car with you, and for people who were really struggling with the task, the instructor would give them another demo in their own car.

I hope someone finds this post useful - I know there have been discussions previously about advanced driver training courses in Sydney, and although I didn't get to pick which one I went to because I was given it as a present, I'd have to recommend the Ian Luff course very highly A good present for inexperienced and experienced drivers alike!

Derek

I am definately going to do this. Maybe get my parents to buy it for my birthday It'd be looked upon nicely by my insurance as well.
    1995 306 XR

Deka (and others), im already booked in for Stage 1 and stage 3 in mid March. All paid for and ready to go.
    Thanks for the sun burn tip. I cant wait im hoping to put these skills to use on the track, even for the 25th people!!!! wakefiled awaits!.
    DEKA!!?? was it hard to get to Oran park?
    Xq
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    Hi Xq,

No, easy.

Take the M5, and leave it at the Narellen Rd exit. Go straight ahead towards Narellan, through all the roundabouts

At the end, turn left and then right into The Northern Rd (sign says 'Penrith'). Head up there and I think it's second road on the right - Cobbity Rd.

You worry about getting lost too much Xq :p

Warren Luff will like your car - ask him to tell you about his story about when he raced 306 XR's.

Enjoy!
    Derek.

These courses are good learning tools, you quickly find out just how much you didn't know.
    Back before these courses were available for joe public,about 1973 i think, the Club i was in at the time arranged for us to attend the Vic Police driving course in Bulla which is behind Tullamarine airport, most of us in Renaults having a wonderful time over 2 days. The driving techniques learned have saved me from fools countless times, i'd recomend them for all drivers.

renault_

<small>[ 02 March 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Damien Gardner ]</small>
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

<span><span class=ResizableText0>
    Originally</span> posted by DeKa: <strong>Hi Xq, Warren Luff will like your car - ask him to tell you about his story about when he raced 306 XR's. Enjoy! <span class=ResizableText0>Derek.
    </span> </span>
    LOL, the lads at esscargo put me onto this course and they to said he's pretty keen on the wee pugs.
    Xq
    ... ptui!

I did a mini-advanced driving course when I did a track day with the new MR2. Ian Luff's crew got us to do some emergency stop maneouvres and was quite useful. I'm looking at doing it too as we get a 20% discount through work. But, alas, no car provides less incentive at the moment.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts
    I should warn you guys I put some serious wear on those Michelin Certis tyres on Saturday at the advanced driver training course.

Part of it was caused by most of Stage 2's tasks involving a right hand turn (ie serious wear on the outside of the left hand tyres particularly the front)

On the other hand, stage 1 was mostly emergency braking and left hand turns, so I guess it evened out the wear?

I guess what I'm saying is if you do the course, don't put new tyres on the day before just to do the course!

Derek.

Originally</span> posted by DeKa: <strong>I should warn you guys I put some serious wear on those Michelin
    Certis tyres on Saturday at the advanced driver training course. <span class=ResizableText0>Derek.
    </span> </span>
    mm i seeee... i was going to go on the AZENIS semi's but im not too sure now. ill give em a call.
    Deka i received my info pack, whats tis rubbish about NO LUCH provided!, guess that means a nice cup of twinnings around the old gum tree late in the afternoon is out of the question too ahey.
    Xq
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    Xq,

For stage one at least, I'd go with whatever tyres you normally use on the road. Stage one is more a road-oriented day (still useful on the track no doubt) but I wouldn't be putting expensive tyres on for that day, in order to loose them in smoke when you practice emergency braking all day.

Derek.

Do you have ABS, Deka? Wouldn't an ABS equipped car minimise tyre wear?
    - Lincoln

Originally</span> posted by GTI124: <strong>Do you have ABS, Deka? Wouldn't an ABS equipped car minimise tyre
    <span class=ResizableText0>wear?
    </span> </span>
    I think it s the loaded heavy cornering that Deka is refering to. Heavy breaking is gonna add too, plus when road tyres get hot they wear much quicker too.
    Xq

ps, Lincon are you gonna sort out a car for the cruz with Phasis or for wakefield?? come on we neeeed ya buddy!
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    No, XR's don't have ABS, as Justin (PUG307) found out when he was driving my car!

Derek

I've got the GTi6 for Wakefield, no problem there.

As for Phasis's visit, I looked at getting a Clio or a Laguna, but I really don't like Budget. (No unlimited kilometres, lots and lots of hidden charges...don't like companies that aren't up front). I get very good rates through Hertz, so was going to call them and see if I could get my hands on a Focus, or if that failed a BA Falcon. Worse case, I could just borrow my flat mates RAV...hmm..I think you guys would be leaving me behind there, somehow wink
    - Lincoln

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i did those courses with luff and kimber a few years ago and highly recommend them
    ian luff was there for stage 2 when i went as well as ian kimber (police trainer) and warren luff
    would you know it but stage 2 i had the Mi-16 and trying to get ian luff out of it was a problem
    with the clover leaf at the end of the day i tied with a person in a porsche boxster
    we both had runs that were only 1/100th apart over the two runs after the practice run
    i was extremely pleased
    be warned though, stage 3 you will need new but scrubbed in tyres and new brake pads
    all in all a damn good time to be had by all and an excellent learning curve
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Well im itching now, i think ill use normal tyres for Stage 1 and the AZENIS for stage 3.... mmmmm i hope Luffy dosn't get flash backs while in my car and run off to MT panorama or something... lol.
    Gti124 mate good to see you are coming and try to get to the cruz with Phasis, get a cheapy rental it dosn't have to be froggy.
    Xq
    ... ptui!

Thread Information