pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

How to lower the price of petrol

Received this in my email today...

"Price of Petrol" - READ THIS
    >
    > Received the following which sounds like a good idea. A very interesting
    idea...will it work ?
    >
    > We are going to hit close to $1.35 a litre by the winter.
    > Want petrol prices to come down?
    > We need to take some intelligent, united action.
    >
    > Philip Hollsworth, offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
    >
    > BUT, whomever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at .89 / .95 cents, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
    >
    > Here's the idea.
    >
    > For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest
    oil companies (which now are one: BP). If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach
    literally millions of BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
    >
    > I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!
    > Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably
    be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
    >
    > PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 80cents a LITRE RANGE
    >
    > Action - It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Caltex, Mobil, g,a.s. or Gulf Outlets and drive right on by BP Stations.

Advertisement
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

thats a good idea approve approve ,well i`m off 2 buy some shell petrol
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

I can only use Caltex or Ampol with my Star Card.
    Done deal for me.

Paid 88.9c this arvo but I was anticipating the high 90's being a Thursday.

BP & I are no long time lovers between dodgy fuel & the 100% + price hike on LHM a while back coupled with the attitude of the company when approached on the subject.
    I have done my bit by posting it on boards in Australia & Europe. The only downside will be that the servo owners in some cases will feel the pinch if it all comes off but as there are a lot of these who earn the bulk of their income by doing repairs, the impact shouldn't be as bad as first anticipated.
    Be interesting to see how it all fares.

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

We just received this email from a totally different source so it's getting around quickly.
    Litigation awaits the author perhaps whip

gibgib:
    We just received this email from a totally different source so it's getting around quickly.
    Litigation awaits the author perhaps whip
    Why????????
    If someone can encourage you to buy a certain product via advertising without being litigated against by another company, then why can't someone advise against using that product if they are not defaming it?
    Personally, I'd tell BP to go & $(%ew themselves. Now I come to mention it, I already did when they doubled the price of LHM without reason. If the Oil "Industry" is so devoid of control that they are a law unto themselves which the ACCC are only too quick to point out, they can't expect the protection of the law when they feel THEY'VE been hard done by. Up 'em. mallet mallet

Alan S cheers!

rek

BP stations consistently have the cheapest 98 octane petrol around these parts.. not to mention it's also the 'cleanest' environmental-wise.

I don't get the leap of logic in the email that means you should single out BP service stations? Sounds like it's the product of a pissed-off ex-BP employee with an axe to grind more than anything else.

[edit; typos]

<small>[ 27 February 2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: rek ]</small>
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

bp has a very simple pricing policy - 1 cent extra for every unit of RON above standard ULP.

I haven't noticed any real superiority of Optimax, so I've gone back to Ultimate. The fact it's the cleanest fuel and has some level of environmental conscience does it for me.

Buy petrol on the day it's cheapest - that's the simplest way, and it's hardly rocket science either.

Cheers,

Justin

BTW: How much does the QLD fuel subsidy cost the government each year?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

bp are also major shareholders in Roxby Downs and other uranium mines

Just out of curiosity, what's all this "environmental conscience" that BP have supposedly got? roll_lau roll_lau
    If you're talking about the Methanol thing, I suppose everybody is aware that they are phasing out of the program & that it has been alleged that BP orchestrated the buyer resistance to fuel containing Methanol because it can see more profits in fossil fuel? (Hard to float prices at a whim when you've got another group, cane farmers, working to a set price!)
    Some environmental conscience; ask the Canegrowers Association their views on BP & their Environmental conscience (read balance sheet) now. moon mallet whip

<a href="http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6009588%255E3065,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6009588%255E3065,00.html</a>

Alan S cheers!

<small>[ 28 February 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>

stuartb:
    bp are also major shareholders in Roxby Downs and other uranium mines
    Ah... that's where their 'social conscience' is... nice clean fuel for the future.

I'll have to buy more BP, then, though this is at odds with stopping cane-derived fuels.

What to do?

As for the fluctuating prices and buying on the right day... no option to do that in the country.

Hi all,

Petrol is $1.05/l in Wodonga at the moment!
    I like peujohn's idea, might give it a go.

Cheers,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

What evidence (not hearsay, real evidence) is there that ethanol damages engines?

Does anyone have any links to anything with some integrity?

BP...the quiet deceiver.....

bp Ultimate has lower sulphur than most fuels - ie, about 10x less. In addition they have fewer aromatics.

Secondly they claim to donate 1 to 2 c per litre to environmental causes, which is audited.

It's the only fuel that has AGO certification - that must say something.

See: <a href="http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuels/bp_ultimate/ultimate.asp?menuid=ed" target="_blank">http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuels/bp_ultimate/ultimate.asp?menuid=ed</a>

Don't know about the uranium interests - but bp does stand for "beyond petroleum" now

I don't think you'll find many energy companies that are totally blemish free. But on the basis of the product - I'm not complaining about bp Ultimate - what is there to complain about it? I'm sure someone could start a tirade about Shell and its great human rights record.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

VIP Sponsor
    Further to Justin's comments, BP Ultimate has only around 1% Benzene, a known carcogen, compared to 5% for Optimax. You can tell this when you fill up, Ultimate doesn't smell as much.
    I don't see the problem with pricing, petrol is only a small part of running expenses, particularly with modern cars with their good economy but horrendous parts costs.

Graham Wallis

First of all... let's get this straight... Uranium is good.

As for petrol price not being a problem, when you have a car that's beyond depreciation and you do 100,000km a year in it, petrol prices matter big time!

I must be spending between $50 and $100 a month extra on fuel since the Iraq thing has come up.

And as somebody pointed out, oh, yeah, the RACQ, the price per barrel of oil is yet to reach the level of the Kuwait conflict period, when petrol got into the eighties for the first time! Now it's over a dollar!

VIP Sponsor
    Ray,
    You and I are probably in the minority with our cheap to maintain cars. I don't do a lot of km but I reckon you could definitely benefit from a Gas Research LPG conversion.
    Graham Wallis

No doubt... no doubt at all... I've been down that road before.

But a wagon gives serious packaging problems when you want to put gas on... especially if you want the comfort of a bit of petrol for emergencies.

Do I detect a hint of tall poppy syndrome?

As far as me and my car are concerned, I will only fill up with BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax as in my experience they are good quality fuel and I don't mind paying the few extra cents per litre. The attendants are always courteous and provide good service and the forecourts clean (particularly BP). Their equipment is generally in good repair - especially the air compressors.
    I have no reason to boycott either, and am certainly not going to for the sake of bringing down some big faceless multinational corporation that are somehow exploiting the consumer.

As far as I'm concerned, Australia and the US are very fortunate to have fuel as cheap as it is. Perhaps we should be more grateful about what we have.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Craig & the Citroen owners.
    In light of some of the comments made, I wonder if I should go looking for some of those patronising and arrogant e-mails that we received from BP when they jacked up the price of their LHM by 100% & thought they has us by the short & curlies?
    As far as BP & their quality goes, I refuse to use it after having a tankful of badly contaminated fuel pumped in at 4am a few years ago that culminated in us being stuck on the side of the Bruce Highway and as I was going to Brisbane for some medical work & was incapacitated, had to call the RACQ at 5 in the morning to drain the tank, fit filters etc so I could make my appointment.
    Also if it makes those happy with the price hikes feel any better, Caltex have just posted a $400 Million profit for the year in Australia and at the same time predicting that prices will go yet much higher.
    Comments saying how lucky we are would be manor from heaven to these guys. I just spoke to a guy in the UK who just filled his tank for 47 UK pounds ($140 approx) on a car with a 65 litre tank so I presume when it is costing us $150 instead of the $50 it used to cost we can then we proudly boast that we are in the same league as they are with spiralling food & commodity prices and rampant inflation.
    As Ray says, in country areas, the ones worse affected, the cost of transport is horrendous already and when the last time we had a "spike" in fuel prices, there were large transport companies claiming their fuel bills had increased by over $1 million per month. Guess whose got to pick up the tab for that?
    It already is affecting Ray personally with his own fuel costs and the flow on effect is enormous.
    If this thread has proven one thing though, it's that fuel prices are governed by a lot of things; Fuel producers, Oil Companies, Governments and shareholders profits, but the greatest contributing factor to how they keep getting away with it is obviously apathy! disappro disappro mallet

Alan S whip

By the way... in the seventies we got a wonderful new tax, one I didn't really mind... Oil Parity it was called... putting us on a par with the rest of the world when our own local fuels were so much cheaper to produce.

The purpose of this was to encourage local oil exploration. The tax would be used to subsidise the oil companies as they found more and more oil to make us self sufficient in the stuff.

Is that where the tax is going?

I don't know... and I'll bet you and your mate don't either...

So Australian and the US enjoy low prices? The US price is about the same per gallon (tiny US gallons, admittedly) as we have per litre. I think it's close to three times the actual US price that we pay now.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Ralph:
    I like peujohn's idea, might give it a go.
    Not peujohn's idea, I refuse to accept any responsibility for it. wink

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    guys,

i got this same mail a couple of years ago. Good to see someone has recycled it

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

[QUOTE] [First of all... let's get this straight... Uranium is good.] EEERrrr please elaborate...I always had the feeling radioactive waste, and nuclear weapons were a bit of a problem, and Chernobyl 2 was a matter of time....

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information