'D' brake pads
  • Help

Thread: 'D' brake pads

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

'D' brake pads

Just spent a few 'enjoyable' hours pulling my old 60's 'D' apart to access the brake callipers. Man the old 'clockwork' disk calipers on this car are amazing. Designed in the early 50's!! incredible!!. Man these cars must have been the most potently braked production cars in the world back then...

Anyway a while back Dave said he had 'D' brake pads an special. Will these fit the early disk calipers??

And more importantly anyone know where I can get hold of special tool #2129T to withdraw the brake pistons back with in order to fit the new pads....

seeya,
    Shane L.

Advertisement
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole
    Hi shane,
    I have been told by a reliable source, that the pads, are sadly not interchangable with the new pads. I was also told that it was cheaper to have new pads glued to the old backing plate, then to buy new pads to suit the older D's. please inform me if i am wrong as i am also trying to source some.
    Jake R.

Hi Shane, I've got one set of those pads left, will they fit your car? I dunno, I know early D's had different pads to later D's, but how early is early? I think you should grab these pads before you miss out, I'm sure you'll use them.
    How good were D brakes when they were new? A few years ago we sponsored a DS21 in the Duttons rally, the owner/driver told us that he met Norm Beechey and Norm told him how he used to race them and how the brakes were so good that Norm used to wait for everyone else to hit the brakes and count 2 seconds before hitting the brakes in the Cit and advised our friend to try it, well he did and scared the crap out of himself and thought he was going to die, you see, Norm forgot that these days everything stops well............Whoops.
    Seeya,
    David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Hi Guys,

thanks, ok I will need to chase up/rebuild the existing pads. The cars a '63 'D' with the early 'clockwork' calipers. I've decided to pull my calipers down just so I can ponder over how incredibly intricate they are!! Still can't get over the fact they had such a good handbrake using those huge disk pads, with mechanical operation at the same time as hydraulic operation with the 'pedelo'. How did they go from these amazing brakes to the shitful CX setup with seperate pads, & a handbrake that won't work 2months after adjusting

Dave do you have any idea who might have the tool to withdraw the calipers with?? I guess Mel Carey or maybe Bob King?

Yeah I might take you up on those brake pads, I'll check the DS21 tonight and see how much meats left on it's pads.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hi Shane,

Just checked with Denton at European Autocare - he has the pads new at $120 +GST. They are quite different to the late ones.

He also thought that the NSW club had the tool 2192T for sale or loan - I will check up for you on that one.

Good luck - even Denton says the handbrake adjusting is fun!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Hi Paul,

thanks for that. I'll give Bob King a ring tonight, he'll probably have the special tool. I've contacted Mel Carey, I'd rather support the local guys here if possible to buy parts. He can be quite expensive though... Silly prices == Me going somewhere else Maybe he may even have the calliper tool. He is the Classic car club stockist.

Roger Parker has the Brake pads (later pads I guess) for sale for $90bucks each on his site.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information