C'etait un Rendezvous
  • Register
  • Help

C'etait un Rendezvous

The above film is completely mad! Basically, someone bolts a camera on the front of their Ferrari, and proceeds to drive around Paris like a maniac! Plenty of 70's style Citroen Peugeot and Renault action for all. I was lucky enough to see the film some years back, its a bit of a cult thing. Anyway, its finally been remastered and will be released on VHS. Its an absolute must.
    News story below is courtesy of <a href="http://www.honestjohn.co.uk" target="_blank">www.honestjohn.co.uk</a> website to give you some more details:

Advertisement

LEGENDARY SHORT FILM – 'C'ETAIT UN RENDEZVOUS' TO BE RE-RELEASED

For many years 'C’était un Rendezvous' has been enjoyed as an almost Masonic secret among car enthusiasts. Whisper the words "Have you seen Rendezvous" and you’ll receive either a knowing, "No, but I’ve heard it’s unbelievable" or a smug, "It is un-be-lieve-able".

Filmed in 1976, the revered short film by seminal French director Claude Lelouch is regarded as the ultimate in chase scenes - the connoisseurs’ trump card in response to 'Bullitt' or 'The French Connection'.

Lack of availability (pirated poor quality VHS copies being traded at $50 on the internet) has only fuelled the myths surrounding the film. Was Lelouch really arrested when it was first shown? Was it Lelouch or a hired Formula One driver who drove the car? And was it really a Ferrari 275 GTB?

What we do know is that there are no special effects or blocking off the streets. Lelouch simply mounted the camera on the front of the car and took us on an astonishing, death-defying drive through the streets of a beautifully filmed 70s Paris with a brutal soundtrack courtesy of the engine, exhaust and tyres.

Richard Symons, a documentary film maker (The Cobra Ferrari Wars) with more than a passing interest in fast cars, came to hear of it by chance and managed to acquire a very poor 2nd generation VHS copy. He wasn’t disappointed…

"I’d never seen anything like it, nine minutes of adrenalin that simply leaves you with your jaw on the floor. Lelouch was supposedly arrested the first time he’d shown the film and then it simply dived underground. To cut a long story short, I tracked down the director, we dusted down the original 35mm negative, restored and re-mastered it for release – we’ve brought back all the details and colours and it looks stunning."

Politically incorrect, anti-establishment and overflowing with a primitive passion - it is everything Ken Livingstone would hate. Which perhaps explains the cheers and whoops of delight at recent test screenings - contrasting strongly with the controversy it was met with at first release. "It makes Bullitt look like a cartoon," says Jeremy Clarkson. 'C’était un Rendezvous' is the road-users two fingers up to bureaucracy, a clarion call capturing the public’s resentment – particularly relevant as London introduces congestion charging.

"You can’t condone the driving, but it has struck a chord with audiences. It captures a freedom and spirit that seems a long way away from sitting impotent in traffic and hoping some local authority will figure it out," says Symons.

C’ était un Rendezvous will be shown for two weeks (before George Clooneys’ "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind") at The Electric Cinema, Notting Hill, London from March 14-28.

DVD/VHS copies will be available on-line from March 14 at <a href="http://www.spiritlevelfilm.com" target="_blank">www.spiritlevelfilm.com</a> priced at GBP£14.99.
    BX 1.7TD TZD 1993
    Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi 2004

rek
    .. or else you can get your hands on a dodge copy from Kazaa tongue
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

It was pure madness... emerging from blind lanes etc.

Good thing he had a lucky run and didn't hit any milkmen.

Cal
    The white Mini very nearly gets cleaned up too. Drysdales has been selling the video for years. The sound is out of sync on my copy though.

There are three others that come close, Climb Dance, Fasination on the Nurburgring (RUF CTR) and the Porsche Stockholm one (can't remember the name). Rendeveous however, is the original. A true icon.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

1000+ Posts
    I have seen the Nurburgring one. There is a crazyman (His name is in an issue of wheels, i gave up looking) in an RUF tuned Porsche Turbo.... one of the old ones that people claimed handled like a sledge hammer... Anyway, the drifting action (on any corner, any speed) is like ballet.

Incredible.
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

Thread Information