504 Diesel Experiment?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

504 Diesel Experiment?

Couple of things that somebody round here may be able to give me some thoughts on:

1. How hard to find are Diesel 504s?

2. Will a 505 Turbo Diesel (or the Turbo off a 505 TD) go into a 504 - I assume so, but thought I'd better ask... What are 505 TDs like to drive and has anybody got any experience squeezing a few extra kw out of them (higher boost/intercooler, that sort of thing...)

3. Has anybody got any experience running a 505 TD motor on an alternative fuel like bio-diesel or (preferably) pure veggie oil (www.biofuels.ca)?

With juice hitting $1.05+/l and heading god only knows where, I'm thinking a alternative-diesel is the way to go. I have spent quality time in enthusiastically driven petrol 504s but never in an oiler... are they "ok"?

cheers,
    nik.

Advertisement

I know where there's a fairly good 504 diesel with a crook engine... ring me on 0411 280 267, tell me your mobile number and what provider you're on and it will cost you nothing to hear back from me with that information.

I don't think you'd have any problems either fitting the turbo diesel or running it on bio-fuel.

The turbo diesel 505 motor has been put into 504s a number of times, by various enthusiasts.

Keep in mind that diesel 504s don't handle quite so well as the petrol versions, due to the extra weight over the nose. I've done alot of miles in both types. I haven't yet driven a diesel 505, but my guess is that they probably handle the extra nose weight better due to the wider track (and negative camber on 84 onwards models).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Vegetable Rights and Peace dudes,

The alternate energy mag RENEW and publications like Grass Roots and Earth Garden have broached this subject, If I recall correctly, there is a local source for conversion kits to allow the use of straight vegie oil. This consists of a preheating device in the tank, which warms the oil and makes it less viscous.

There was one story about a character running his van by collecting the used oil from chip shops and restaurants. I think he basically filtered the oil to get rid of the half burnt chips etc and just used it straight with a preheater system.

The exhaust was alleged to smell like a chip shop.

head_ban
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

We had a member on this forum; "Biodiesel" a few months back & that was his greatest claim to fame wasn't it?
    Might be worth chasing him up and asking him what the score is/was. Hasn't been on for a while so hopefully it's not due to having car problems. :p

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I had to deal with a press release a while back about the stuff... it covered aspects of treating used oils for automotive use, was very informative.

The NRMA carried an article about it in The Open Road about August 2001. It might have been the Road Ahead, but I think it was the NRMA.

The guy the story was about was located around Rockdale or Hurstville.

I have run my 505 SRDT exclusively on homemade biodiesel for the last 20k klms very satisfied, 25cpl

I have a sticker for it also,

Caution this car farts french fries.

Neil
    505 SR "B" T
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

nJm
    Hahahahahaha clown

Give that man a a_drink
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tadpole
    cruiserman

Caution this car farts french fries.

Neil
    505 SR "B" T[/QB]
    Les frites, non?

Thread Information