hot hatch test latest "CAR" magazine
  • Help

hot hatch test latest "CAR" magazine

gday all, just thought i would let people know to keep an eye out for the latest CAR magazine because they have around 50 pages on hot hatches including the 306 rallye they got over there that does 0-100 in 6.9, the clio sport, the new mg hatch, the 206 gti etc.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts
    As I've said on here, THE BEST car mag money can buy. I haven't missed one in about 13 years.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

It is unbelievably good, worth the 10 bucks or so that they charge for it. 250 odd pages, great articles, and most importantly, they don't mention commodore in there. I buy MOTOR as well, to catch up on the aussie scene, and last month they had 40 odd pages dedicated to monaros of new and old. Sure, the car might be an aussie icon, but it was really a pretty shit car when it was new, and the latest incarnation is simply a two door commodore with slightly different suspension. And don't get me started on how bad WHEELS is.

rek
    I went out and grabbed a copy today. Not a bad read, if you can get over the fact that about 80% of the cars they test will likely NEVER see Australian shores

If you own a 206 GTi, don't read it .. you're not going to like what you see.

The hot-hatch winner was the Mini Cooper, and the "Mega" hot-hatch winner was the Clio Sport.

Also a piece on what they consider "hot hatches for grown-ups", the BMW 3-series compact (fugly!) and Merc C-class coupe. Being a bit of an Audi fan myself, I was disappointed to see that the Audi S3 barely had any mention at all...

They also have an article on the "Old School" hot hatch icons of the 80s (VW Golf GTi) and 90s (Pug 306 Rallye -- essentially a GTi6 with all the luxo bits stripped out)

Interesting that there was precious little about the 205 GTi, except for the occasional passing reference.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Being a long time CAR magazine reader, I must say I am losing faith in some of their decisions, the latest magazine being a good point. While BMW owned Rover the Rover range was considered by CAR as outdated and rubbish, the 75 being a bit of a dud. Now Rover is back in British hands suddenly the updated 25 and 75 has suddenly become a good cars, and the MG derivative considered a BMW contender despite comments about questionable aesthetics and quality of construction. Seems a bit of bias really. Probably not much more than Motor though, with the HSV vs BMW vs Merc comparo some months ago, the AUS magazine said the HSV was best while in CAR the same cars at the same time in the same place the Euro cars won. I must admit I find some of the MOTOR articles hard to read though, perhaps I am getting old and not able to keep up with youngspeek!

The best days of Wheels were back in the Peter Robinson days, now it is a shadow of its former self, seemingly more a consumer mag than one for enthusiasts.

One other mag I like is EVO, nice writing and nice articles. I also note it is run by Ian Fraser, a WHEELS editor from way back and CAR magazine owner in the 1970's and 80's when CAR was also one of the better mags.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts
    Hey Simon,

You saying CAR isn't one of the better ones now? I reckon it's still easily top dog. The knowledgable writing, world coverage (I'm not interested in Commodes) fantastic photography and great locations still win me over. I suppose I could be biased as I'm a Brit (Scot) although I've been here since I was 3.

I agree partly about the 'bias' - but I reckon it's nothing to do with British bias. They seem to sometimes decide on a policy on some things and stick to it. Does sometimes irk me. Still second to none, at least in the 'new car' mags.

BTW anyone want 'CAR' from '89-'99, intact (except for one issue that I dumped in a bin a Luton airport to reduce my 1000 pound excess baggage bill ). Free except for the postage...

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey,

I agree that CAR is probably the best magazine currently, and the photography is superb. But I reckon EVO is closing the gap on the quality of production and writing. Certainly CAR does not have the lead as much as it did say five years ago.

A shame postage is so expensive, I could be tempted to fill a few gaps in my collection from 1989 to 1993. Moral, never loan magazines to anyone :-).

Simon

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

There seems to be a constant bias towards two cars in every magazine I read. Toyota and BMW. It appears that the only 4WD worth owning is a landcruiser, and the 3 series and 5 series are the greatest sedans ever made. Aside from that, CAR usually has good things to say about the pugs (bar a couple), and even though we won't see a lot of the vehicles over here, its nice to dream! Hey Stuey, how much would one be looking at to freight all those 100+ magazines?

Thread Information