Bad Question
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Bad Question

Fellow Frogger!

Bad Question

This is an awful question:
    When you guys are in traffic do you ever intentionally intimidate other drivers with your car? For example if you're in heavy traffic in Brisbane or Sydney are there any techniques you use to make people let you into traffic or pass or merge?

Advertisement

I know the following distance rule, but if you're driving along at 110k and a driver decides not to let you pass, what's the closest you'd come to their bumper?
    Thanks for answering my off the wall questions

Fellow Frogger!
    I gotta say I cant think of one instance where I have forced someone to let me into traffic. I have to say I look far enough ahead to see whats going on and I make a move well and truly before I get to said obstruction (roadworks etc).

As far as merging with traffic (i dont drive to work), i stick my indicator on and patiently wait for someone to let me in if the road is congested or make sure I have enough speed on board to merge without them having to make allowances if its a free run onto a freeway, for 1 good reason.

If someone wants to barge into my lane cause they havent seen (wasnt looking) something ahead and tries to force the situation, I take great pleasure in looking them in the eye and giving them the finger. If they cant read traffic conditions in enough time, their problem. If someone just gets caught out and sticks a blinker on, I am more than happy to give them plenty of room to merge.

A few weeks ago, this young girl in a Mazda 121 got a bit shitty at me because I knew she wanted to drag me off to get into the lane I was in. Suffice to say, she failed in her attempts, then proceeded to sit up my ass with her high beam on. I accelorated away from her and got onto the freeway only to have her scream past me and an MX-5 with inches to spare. I saw her coming, and anticipated what she was doing and the car in front of me was close, so I backed off. After she made her blatant move, I tailgated her a bit and then backed off again thinking it was not worth the effort. She damn near sideswiped an S2000 of all things a bit further up the road when a slip lane merged with the 2 lane freeway, and 1 Honda, 1 MX-5 and 1 Pug driver became a bit pissed.(My suggestion was all 3 of us were not your average commuters in average commuter cars). It was an almost simultanious action when the 3 of us took off after her to express our displeasure of her less than safe driving skills. I managed to get in behind her on a corner and flew up behind her with driving lights and high beam blazing. The 3 of us must have known what the others were doing as we effectively blocked her into the left lane (S2000 in front, MX-5 beside and me behind)and showed her we were none to happy. She *may* have learnt not to be such a twit on the roads that night, but I doubt it.

I do sometimes intimidate other drivers, but only the ones that have taken steps to piss me off first rather than getting jollies out of terrorising other road users....

Chipper

Fellow Frogger!
    Chipper, how close were you tailgating her and how fast were you driving?

Fellow Frogger!
    Fwooooor, geez, a car length behind her at about 80klmh with my left foot squarly over the top of the brake pedal. This was to make sure the lights were not hidden from her view below the rear glass.

I am usually a very reserved "takes a fair bit to piss me off" passive/aggressive kinda guy in traffic as I 99 times out of 100 will not be in peak hour traffic, so I dont seek these situations out, just deal with them at the time it happens with a dose of what they gave me times 10.

Chipper

Fellow Frogger!
    Chipper, I gotta say if you tailgated me like that it would have scared the crap out of me even if your left foot was squarely over the top of the brake pedal!
    I've heard of people just being tapped at those speeds and loosing control

Fellow Frogger!
    Yeah, it wasnt really a hairy situation, and I was concentrating on her tail lights should she cram her brakes on, but I dont think there was even a slight chance of me tapping her or her tapping me, I would never get so close as to endanger myself, another driver, and the Pug, all in that order.....

Chipper

deja vu.....people like you and insurance haha

Fellow Frogger!
    Andreas,

Howd I know you would pop up in here???

Tadpole
    Young tarts in 'tin cans' are a definite prob. One of my bosses does the F3 Syd-Gosford every day and he is a real laid back guy but he swears that this combination is becoming a cliche.

Good move to hang back a bit with all the candles on. Makes everyone else notice the dimwit too!!

------------------

Fellow Frogger!
    JamesJ,

Are you doing a poll on driving habits or something hope your not the local insurance guy as i have been flat out on princess hwy melb at 230 km plus in a 265 hemi powered charger running a xbgt coupe it was 4am in the morning though if that makes you feel better It was only a 4 speed 275 single spinner spewing.

Thread Information