Scratched Paint
  • Help

Thread: Scratched Paint

rek

Scratched Paint

Hey all,

when washing my car I noticed that the edge of one of my doors has been bumped into something and the paint has scratched looks like those side door sills are there for decoration only

Advertisement

Considering it's the edge of the door, I don't care about it from an aesthetic point of view. But what about rust? What should I cover it over with to prevent rust? Just some white touch-up paint, or some sort of rust inhibitor?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

1000+ Posts
    Get it quickly with white touch up paint (from your dealer). Should be fine but make sure it covers the metal. A tiny bit of metho or if you're careful, acetone, on a tissue will remove any grease beforehand.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

rek
    Just a semi-update.

Not so much for the big scratch on the side of my door sill, but I've noticed that the front of the Pug is quite susceptible to stone chips.

A little while ago I came across some Turtle Wax polish product (I forget the exact name) with a "chip stick" bundled with it -- basically it looks like lipstick, but it is body coloured.

I haven't bothered to polish the car yet (lazy me! ) but I had a go of this chip-stick right away.

Basically you scratch the heck out of the chipped paint with this chip-stick, the waxy stuff sets in, and the chipped area gets filled in.

I've fixed a few small stone chips on my bonnet, and a small scratch on the side of my car, and the result is unnoticeable from the rest of the paint, unless you really look hard to try and find where the chip was.

Great stuff, unfortunately I don't think you can buy the chip-stick seperately, you have to buy the bottle of polish too all-up for about $20.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Thread Information