Frogmobiles: Can you wear them out??
  • Register
  • Help

Frogmobiles: Can you wear them out??

Hi all,

Ever heard stories of people who have had all sorts of troubles with French cars & wondered when it's going to be your turn & it just doesn't happen? Well I recently saw 2 postings on a UK Citroen bulletin board which proves you have to have a certain amount of luck, but reliable & regular servicing must play a big part even when you DIY. These are this lady's postings; worth a read

Hello all,
    Just drove car last night from a 300 mile trip and had no problems at all , reverse from drive and selected first gear , nothing ! all 2,3,4,5 R are all fine , clutch is ok , no funny noises been heard since and now , gear selects cleanly but no drive when clutch depressed , is there a simple linkage failure or is it an internal gearbox fault ?? is it common and is it cheap to repair or is it scrap ??? help please

its a 1991 bx tgd diesel with 525,700 miles on original engine and gearbox , Diy serviced every 5000 miles .

thankyou Wendy

A couple of days later, this response.

Hi,
    Just to say Anders was right , a detent?? spring had failed and stuck and broke a selector fork ??, new gearbox sourced and new clutch fitted 250 by local garage . Back on the road .To answer your question yes its a gen 525,874 miles just mot 2 weeks ago with no faults . Its had a few pipes and spheres and general tyres and brakes , it had major repairs at 230,000 clinder head gasket and injectors , also rear wishbones , and its first clucth, at 300,000 the fuel pump was changed for a s/h unit off a low milage scrap bx , its had a couple of new front seats and now just had a gearbox , the secret is possibly that its always been run on fully synthetic oil and changed at 5,000 miles . The car was an experiment for a major oil supplier to do research and development since new and the car had a full mechanical strip at 100,000 to examine wear and tear , my husband bought the car after it was rebuilt at 100,500 miles as it made way for a new test car a nissan engine that never saw production which was fitted in a primera . thanks Wendy

Kinda makes you wonder whatcha been doin' wrong, don't it? Perhaps I might get wendy to service MY car.

Advertisement

Alan S

If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    My Pug still has the original clutch @ 190,000 klms......

Hi guys, my wifes MI16 has done 275000 without a clutch, my brothers BX 16valve is over 320000, but were talking KM and she's in miles so thats amazing at the other end of the scale, my 12 Gordini has done only 35,000 and has had a full restoration and that was 15,000km ago, the best I heard of was an old battered 504 auto that had done one 1.1 million km and never had the head off, even the Borg Warner transmission was original, the car has since been written off so it gone now, but I think the secret is regular oil changes with quality oils and most important, long runs, keep the engine warm, I've always said I'd rather buy a high milage country car than a low milage city car.
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Tadpole
    Yeh - frequent oil changes and keep 'em warm is the way to go. Short city trips are bad news for a cars longevity. But a lot depends on the driver. My Uncle got a VK C'dore new and didn't have to replace the exhaust until it was 10yrs old. He always warmed the car up before driving, kept it garaged and drove with a light foot.

Fellow Frogger!
    I only ever start the Pug if its going on a longish run, dont drive it'to the shops', I have a town car for that..a 665 cc "all sound and no action" Subaru Sherpa for that

Thread Information