Good wiper blade refills?
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Good wiper blade refills?

Hi everyone,

After a trip to Melbourne in the 306 last weekend for the International Airshow, I realised that with probably more than 6 months of very little use my wiper blades are stuffed! All they did was make a smeary mess when it rained. How typical for Melbourne hey? :p

Advertisement

I know we've had a thread before on wiper blades, and it was discussed that the best are genuine Valeo wiper assemblies. I put new assemblies on not long after I got my 306 - so about 2 years ago.

Does anyone know of any really good refills that I can put in these assemblies? I've never had any luck with refills (before I put on the Valeo assemblies) - whatever I put in just skip across the window, make a smeary mess and make lots of noise.

Any help much appreciated - I'm driving to Melbourne again next weekend

Derek.

Hi
    I use silicone rubber refills.

They are a pure silicone extrusion with friction modifiers in the shape of the more traditional black rubber ones.

They last just about forever in my experience, at least 2 years anyway, and they operate as smooth as a.......very smooth thing.

They come in all sorts of fetching colours like yellow, blue, clear and red but not black.

They cost a couple of bucks more than traditional rubber but you will easily make up for this with their increased longevity.

Available at most of those aftermarket spares places, Autobarn, Sprints, Roccas etc etc.

Give 'em a try
    cheers!
    citroen_ AXGT
    citroen_ Xsara 1.8 16v

1000+ Posts
    Not black hey? hmm! OK. I think red would look good on the green C3 (that your dad's seen).

I'll go for a drive and have a look-see.
    Thanks for your advice.

Derek.

UFO
    I also find one of those windscreen treatment thingys very good. It helps the water run off far better and sometimes you don't even need the wipers on.

You do have to reapply on a regular basis though.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I'd stick with Valeo. Normally the wiper jumping is caused by a dirty windscreen because you're not washing your windows well enough. Get a good quality glass cleaner and give it a decent clean. If you find that the glass cleaner starts to not work so well...umm..this gets a bit complex, but glass cleaners all work different and can only break down certain things. So one cleaner might work for a while and not clean something off that another cleaner can clean. So you kind have to use multiple glass cleaners to get it free of grit. If it remains gritty (put your fingers in a plastic bag and rub your fingers along the screen and feel for imperfections), then try claying your windscreen...which is another cleaning process which removes surfance contaminants. Mother's bar is quite good for this.

It could also be incorrect tension on the assembly, too tight or too loose..

Err..yes, I'm a nutter.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

GTI124:
    If it remains gritty (put your fingers in a plastic bag and rub your fingers along the screen and feel for imperfections)...
    I would love to know how you came across this technique...then again, maybe not :p
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

you use the same technique on the panels of the car. Makes it easier to feel the grit than with the your fingers alone, or using the back of your hand.

I read about this technique. As I said, I am a nut
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

UFO
    I am surprised that DoubleChevrons has not chimed in on this yet. Just recalled another tip he gave me once.

Carefully clean the screen with brasso - HOWEVER, with the newer screens having built in stuff for rain detection etc (especially Renaults I believe) this may not be wise.

I think the PSA system uses the detector box behind the upper centre of the screen so therefore it is not affected by the surface on the screen.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Craig,

actualy that's a truckies tip I was told when I used to work at a petrol station, brasso is slightly abbrasive so cleans well.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts
    Hi all,

Well I got new blades today - they are the silicon variety - and they seem to work very well, with either a spattering of water, or a flood from the garden hose.

Maybe I should try the hand in a plastic bag technique.

The brasso method would be fine on my car - no rain sensing in a 1994 model.

I'll let you all know how it goes

Derek.

Are these silicone blades readily available? Is there a brand name?

I've never noticed them.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts
    John, Marlows and Repco has them. Or did last time I bought some ordinary black ones. Very common on riced cars along with those coloured boots over the wiper arm.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts
    The silicon ones I got were 'Big Grey' from Auto One. Cost $13.00

Might be cheaper at SuperCheap but I wouldn't go near that place after a previous experience.

Derek.

Thread Information