To upgrade or not to upgrade?
  • Register
  • Help

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

There is a newer version bulletin board out from infopop.
    Just wondering whether we want to upgrade to it or not
    It makes a few things easier for all but may look a little different - don't want to scare people off!!!
    A friend of mine is running it. His board is here:
    http://www.aus-city.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Advertisement

He has a lot of the features active which I feel looks a bit confusing.
    What do we think people??

What do we think people??[/B][/QUOTE]

Could say if it ain't broke don't fix it !!
    When Inside the Web shut up shop, the Citroen Bulletin Boards went ballistic trying to find a replacement. The BX Tech Forum went to a similar type of system to the one suggested only to find useage dropped off for several reasons including that it operated s quick as lightening from overseas but slow as a wet wig out here. (Nobody could explain why.)
    Out here there was a split in the camp with some wanting to go to a Yahoo board. The problems again were unreal, & for me still are as the other day I tried to post a pic on the Oz board but find I can't. Can on the UK board but not the Oz. Maybe I've been excommunicated. Personally I don't go much on looking or posting on the Yahoo set up as if it is small it's OK but if it gets a lot of use it ends up like an unmade bed; hard to get into, looks messy, uncomfortable once you're in it, can't find anything and a pleasure to get out. I get the feeling the new set up suggested could tend to end up the same way.
    The Aust. Cit. Bull. Board we found, is as close as what we had before but it has its limitations as has the UK Cit BX board. I think the main point is that with registrations presently going well,why risk frightening any off? Simplicity I feel is always the key with this type of board & it doesn't take much of a change to slow the flow such as we are presently enjoying.
    That's my two bobs worth - no doubt others will agree or otherwise.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I dont mind it as is, simple to navigate and obviously quite a bit of interest from around the world.
    Of course you never know, if you changed it you might have an increase in members but probably not.
    If you've been to the PCCV site lately since they've changed to a new style forum it's died.
    I suggest you stick with it as is, maybe mes here and there as you have been doing and you'll know when it's time to upgrade.
    BTW, as of now 205 members

205 is a sexy number

I was thinking of using some space on a clients server to add the new version as a trial & see how much different things are.

You guys are probably right on this though. It would be advisable to tread carefully with changes...

BTW hitwise ranks aussiefrogs @ 7319 this week, that's over twice the rating of last week of 18,408!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gibgib:
    205 is a sexy number

I was thinking of using some space on a clients server to add the new version as a trial & see how much different things are.

You guys are probably right on this though. It would be advisable to tread carefully with changes...

BTW hitwise ranks aussiefrogs @ 7319 this week, that's over twice the rating of last week of 18,408!

gibgib,

The only problem with "giving it a try" as we found in Citland was one half like it whilst the other doesn't. Then you have burnt your bridges because one half wants it to continue whilst the other wants to stay put; you must end up rocking the boat with one camp. It's got to be a clean break or not at all. While things are on the up & up I think you're flirting with death.
    The Citroen boards both here & in the UK have never been the same since they changed & that was caused through necessity not choice. The guy who runs the UK board is in the process of setting up an archive type site & transferring messages of importance. My guess he has picked up the same vibes as me that since the change that board seems to be in decline. There was no evidence of this a couple of months ago.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

With giving it a try I was going to put up the new version somewhere else - in no way affecting this board, for me to experiment with. No one would know about it, I just want to take a look at it

This board will remain unchanged unless the majority want it upgraded.
    Rest assured

i dont think minor changes would be a problem though.
    how about showing the last person to add to a thread?
    I know it has it on the main page but no inside each section.
    or possibly showing the newest member or featuring a different member each day, these are just things i've noticed on other UBB's.
    there must be soooo many options it's wouldnt be hard to start cluttering the board, i say keep it simple.

They are 2 things I want too.
    For some reason the last to post hack isn't working on this board at all. It is sitting there inactive
    New usersnames at the top are on the new version.

Thread Information