Motoring costs...... Pommy style
  • Help

Motoring costs...... Pommy style

Here's a posting off the Citroen Bulletin Board regarding the costs of running a car in the UK - Scarrrey Stuff

Re: Greenslip prices - NSW
    Posted by Richard (UK) on 11/9/2001, 3:39 pm , in reply to "Greenslip prices - NSW"

Guys,
    I am amused by this section! Your rego/insurance seems awfully complicated, but also relatively cheap - let me explain!

In the UK, you first have to get an MOT test (roadworthyness check) which costs £30, and seems to get ever more stringent, so you end up coughing up more to put things right. Then you have to insure your car. Over here BXs are worth bugger all - my 88 TD with 130k miles (210k km) is worth maybe £200 BUT last year I paid £350 for fully comprehensive insurance (3rd party is mandatory here - covers you against damage to other people and their property, but is often not all that much cheaper than fully comp) - this may not seem much but we get "no claims discount" over here - ie if you go a year without a claim they knock some off your premium. Now, I have 5 years no claims, which relates to a 65% reduction in the premium, so the full premium is around £1000 (A$3000?) FIVE TIMES the value of the car! I am now 27, married, home owner and professional engineer, all things which should push the premium down. Oh yeah, and we had lots of floods last year which wrecked loads of engines so there is talk of 25% increase in insurance premiums. On the up side, all insurance is private companies, so you can shop around for quotes, but it takes a long time!

Next you take your v expensive insurance document and MOT cert to the post office and get your tax disc - another £160. So far about £600 spent, and not a wheel turned in anger. Now the real sting in the tail - petrol/diesel here is about 70p (A$2.10?) per LITRE - due to the Government taxing it beyond all recognition. The tax rate is about 650%, based on the actual price and the forecourt price. Now you know why I drive a TD, not a 16V!!

Can I come to SA (where's that?) where you don't need an MOT equivalent????

Just thought I'd let you know you're not the only motorists getting persecuted by your government!

Advertisement

Richard

This is what happens if you just sit back & think that it's no use screaming at politicians when they get up to their shenanigans because they don't listen.
    I think you'll find most of this crap came from the Maggie Thatcher era (Remember her? the old boiler that looked as though she had someone elses false teeth in?)

They don't seem to be able to score too many points now as regards getting these prices/taxes lowered mainly due to it being a big part of their economic base; perhaps if they went back to the "good ol' days" and burnt a couple at the stake, perhaps that might work :p

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Yeah,

that's right Alan, the fuel price is why they all don't drive CXturbo's & BX16valves over there. The insurance on them is outragious. My old man was kinda glad that the CX turbo sale I bought over there fell through. You see he would have had to pay to run it while he was there. What would you rather do, insure a CXturbo, and get 20-30mpg or by a Visa Diesel for 200pounds tax & drive that at 60+mpg. Guess which one he did. He did several thousand miles while they were over there so saved an enormous amount in petrol costs driving over UK & France.

Remember they get paid LOTS more than us though if you take there average wage into account.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tell you what, they'd bloody well need to going on those prices. The thing is though, that when you look at the figures in a relative sense, regardless of what they get paid, how could any insurance company justify charging 5 times the value of the car to insure it?
    OK it might be argued that they could hit a near new car, but assuming the guy in the new car was in the wrong, his premium would be mind blowing and let's not forget that Insurance premiums are supposed to be based on claims against premium received and with the large number of cars opposed to the number of claims and making allowance for the fact that a 10 year old car is basically worthless there, somebody is having a lend of somebody there big time.
    Another point is that we recently had BP telling us that we have the 3rd lowest fuel price in the world, so if UK has 650% tax on fuel, where on the scale does that leave them? And whatever happened to "world parity oil pricing?" Sounds to me that it's another case of the "level playing field" running up a hill :p

Alan S

Alan,
    Pulled this off a recent post on yahoo XM forum.

Subject: Cost of ownership

I've recently traded in my Feb 1995 2.5TD VSX and now I've done my sums I
    thought the results might be of interest.

I had the car (from 2 years old) for 4 years and eight months. I covered
    39,106 miles and when sold it had 58,200 on the clock.

It cost me 47p per mile or 3,901.52 GBP per year, made up as follows:-
    Capital 24p/m, 2,012.85/yr
    Maintenance 8p/m, £655.15/yr
    Fuel 9p/m, 734.08/yr
    Tax, Insurance etc 6p/m, £499.34/yr

It averaged 35.04 mpg. The best tankful I ever had was last year during the
    blockade when I religiously kept to speed limits and got 40.49mpg

So tax and ins, convert to about $1500Aus. an equivalent car here would be much the same. $450.00 rego and $800 - $900 comprehensive ins. Total running costs seem a bit high given it's a diesel, but given the higher wages I think they might still be better off

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts
    Last time I was in the UK ('91), I bought few year old Nissan Pulsar for 300 quid to tour 'round in, got an under the arm MOT (it's not what you know it's who you know) and the 3rd party insurance was going to be 300 pounds, again. We just insured it under a mate's name (lives there) but it was still 120 quid.

The only good thing is that if you shop round, you can pick up REAL bargain cars compared to here, not to mention the huge range of different cars we don't get a sniff of.

Another thing is that they've brought in or are bringing in a CO2 tax based on CO2 output, to add to costs of running. You'll notice UK based car mags now discuss this as a matter of course as a factor in road tests.

As an aside, dodging MOT's and other scams (free petrol anyone?) seem to be fairly prevalent.

Ah well, we don't have roadworthies here yet...maybe a matter of time.

Stuey

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: Stuey ]

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Has anyone figured out why we are paying about 87c/l for unleaded (in Wodonga Vic)at present when the price of a barrel of oil is going for $20.30? We were paying this much when oil was over $30 a barrel earlier this year! Are we being ripped off?
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

rek
    Ralf, here in suburban Melbourne we are at our "low-point" of about 73c/l for bog standard ULP.

It's a nice feeling to be pumping 98RON fuel at just 80 cents a litre...

BTW a handy web site regards to fuel prices. Take a look at Fuel Watch at http://www.fuelwatch.com.au/ -- unfortunately it doesn't cover regional areas, though.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I paid 73.7c here in Sydney this arvo, though I did see it at 71.5 cents (I'm stuck with Caltex - StarCard).
    These prices are the lowest I've seen in over 6 months.
    One servo here staged a protest (to do with independants against the big guys:rolleyes last week selling at around the 50 cent mark for 1 hour & apparently lost 10 grand in the act

You want to know what rip off is?
    Here in Queensland, we are supposedly getting subsidised to the tune of 6 or 8 cents a litre so our prices are supposed to be equal to or better than yours. Standard ULP has gone down to 77.9 c/l in the past couple of days but at some you can still pay 81.9
    BTW, when we screamed about the price of BP LHM being doubled, that doyan of integrity, an oil company (that was basically how they described themselves) the argument was that world parity oil pricing or the price of crude was the reason. Does that mean that the price has gone back to what it was now?

Anybody want to ask them? :p

Alan S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

try our prices then, barley 100km from Melbourne (closer than most of the petrol stations in Melbourne to geelong where the oil comes in). We have a low at the moment of 82.9 cents a litre. It's take a LONG time to get there. The reason were over 10cents a litre more expensive than melbourne??? Transport cost. Yeah and look there's a flying pig!! It'd be much cheaper to transport fuel here than it would EVER be through melbourne traffic. Man they don't even do vapour recovery here. Were considered 'the country' so there aloud to pump 30,000litres ++ of highly toxic fumes directly into the surrounding schools/houses etc. rather than caputure them You see it's 'safe' to do this in the 'country'.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole
    At least you guys drive dainty French cars. My 1966 Humber Super Snipe gets about 15mpg but the way the guage moves it must be 15 gallons per mile. But its got picnic tables and older people cry out when they see it so i can't complain really

Thread Information