Fuel price went up 10c Wednesday morning in Sydney:(
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fuel price went up 10c Wednesday morning in Sydney:(

Fuel price went up 10c Wednesday morning in Sydney:(

It ended up being 99.9 almost everywhere, yet the day b4 it was travelling around the 90c mark.
    This annoys me

Advertisement

Quick survey
    What are other states paying at present?

about the same, high 90's today, high 80's yesterday for ULP

In central Queensland coast, ULP 86.9 but expect this to rise in the next day or so; Holiday prices they call that. We are supposed to be subsidised at around 8c a litre & prices for West Texas Crude is less than $2 a barrel more than it was when petrol was 79.9 so somebody's giving somebody a touch up.
    Case of things have changed. Sure have:- Bend over here's a nice new pineapple - Which end first?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    93c NZ for 96, 87c for 91 !
    Is the aussie dollar still falling ?!?!
    It has recently been as high as $1.20 for 96 !
    I still run 91 with 1/3 to 1/4 av-gas !
    Lovely fragrance and that white exhaust deposit. Can see it pretty clearly down the twin 65mm DTMs.........

Tadpole
    hi commiserations on the high cost up in N.S.W we in victoria are suffering as well one other thing that is really makeing my blood boil, is the fact that the federal government has, in it's wisdom [or is it greed?]has conveniently maintained the 2 cent tariff on leaded fuel How is this so? when there is no lead in petrol now? this just targets the people that can least afford the added costs involved, im interested to know how other people feel about this

Why do they target those who can least afford? Well it's what's known in the Police force & legal circles as "hitting soft targets" in other words belting the ones who you know have neither the finances or political contacts to get even with them. If you go to the Peugeot Forum on this board & a few other postings relating to importing cars you can see the same thing happening in that regard to.
    The initial idea comes from Motor manufacturing companies in particular Jap brands & in particular it used to be Honda & Mazda who "lobbied" politicians to increase roadworthy inspections, put tariffs on leaded petrol to "discourage" people from owning them, at one stage it was suggested that they (Fed Govt) pay a bounty to get people out of 10 years + vehicles plus a range of other draconian measures which even our fearless leader Herr Howard was bluffed to come at; at one stage I was starting to expect someone in a uniform & jackboots arriving on my driveway & saying "sherr!! dis is your Folksvagen!!!"
    As Motor manufacturers are no doubt strong supporters of major political parties financially, during one of their brainstorms I asked if they would tell me how much cash & incentives were donated from which manufacturer to which political party.
    I once wrote to some Federal Politicians on this matter & asked the question; where does lobbying end & bribery start?
    You know; I have never received an answer to this day!! I wonder Why??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Icon13 Historical low price of fuel, this year....Yer dreaming.

Just for variety, What is the lowest price in each category and what outlet is selling it.

ULP 91 RON Petrol?

95 RON petrol?

98 RON petrol?

Diesel fuel?

LPG fuel ?

Petrol ethanol premium blend ?

Participation IS NOT compulsory

I am told the price is coming down SOON.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I am told the price is coming down SOON.

Ken
    And Santa is coming SOON.

But here the petrol price appears to have eased off a bit.
    I filled one car on the 9th and it was at $1.51/ltr, last week i filled the other and it was $1.39/ltr ( 95RON after discount).
    Looks to be even lower today going by the service station billboards I pass on the way to work.

But look at the posts from 2001, 90c/ltr and we were bitching.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Icon6 Bit of history that repeats..

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    And Santa is coming SOON.

But here the petrol price appears to have eased off a bit.
    I filled one car on the 9th and it was at $1.51/ltr, last week i filled the other and it was $1.39/ltr ( 95RON after discount).
    Looks to be even lower today going by the service station billboards I pass on the way to work.

But look at the posts from 2001, 90c/ltr and we were bitching.

Cheers
    RTT
    Yes and not one post on that thread from yours truly (IWS to note) I became concerned a bit later when the carer staff, that were looking after my friend Albert, 24/7, started complaining to me about how the then high price of fuel directly ate into their earning capacity. I was a volunteer helping to walk Albert each day to improve his fitness level.

As they explained to me, carers were on contract, but only from the time they drove to a clients address, and the way things were structured, they would finish one job (washing dressing client) then have to drive to the other side of Melbourne to attend to another for a couple of hours (critical time care) then set off to help another and the fuel cost factored in meant they barely covered the cost of petrol, let alone earn to support their own families. In talking among friends I found others were doing it tough as the fuel price bounced up and down. And it was of interest to me due to past association with insiders in the Industry. Sadly most of those have passed on..

As to international pressure and prices, the USA is having rapid improvement of pump price and a lot of pressure is on local suppliers here to start a rapid reduction in our pump prices also. The high recent Metropolitan price might have banked enough "windfall" profit especially on LPG and Diesel to speed up the process with the ACCC and election pressure looming.

Well we can hope.

Any other real low prices trending out there?

Ken

I purchased E10 yesterday in Brisvegas for $1.24.something
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Going Down $1.19 for unleaded today 23/11/18 in Melbourne

I saw 121.9 for unleaded 91 at Creek Rd Carindale couple of days ago
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

The important thing is diesel gas gone back down to regular price so dieselgate must be over😅

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Icon14 2 cent drop in 24 hours.. accross the board. (for me) Hope you did better.

Don't know about Dieselgate, its Diesel hate that seems to be the go in Europe and many drivers out protesting and rioting over Government interference and preferences after encouraging people to buy diesel cars - gee they must be much more volatile in France over essence prices..

Bought fuel on Sunday heading to the Country for a funeral Monday. prices Sunday were Diesel 142.7, 98 136.7 and 91 118.7

Called in on return from the trip and each fuel grade had dropped by 2 cents per litre, at the pump.: nice surprise I noted on the trip the others are dropping slightly and slowly... Not sure about the LPG prices, I see that Shell have theirs at 95.9 and most of the others are in the low 70's. I passed APCO at Bendigo, their fuel stations were extremely busy with 4 x 4, camper vans and cars 4 or five at each pump. but their Diesel was 145 + cents a litre and I knew Costco was lower than that so back to Melbourne for another fill (590 Km's travelled).

Hope the ACCC is monitoring the rate of price fall. Shell might have to pull their finger out and start dropping fuel prices or they will get stuck with expensive fuel they cannot discount. Now that would be terrible wouldn't it

Did you do better at your local outlet. I hope so....

Ken

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I've noticed in the last couple of years that there is a highly artificial chocolate price cycle.
    Sometimes chocolate is below cost in the shops, then it shoots up to rip-off, price-gouge prices overnight. What is worse, is that Nestle and Cadbury prices seem to correlate, which proves there is collusion going on. I've also found that chocolate is frequently more expensive in country towns; obviously these corporate criminals know that country areas are under the radar of the ACCC.

We know that the petrol pricing is all absolutely legitimate because the ACCC has thoroughly investigated, and even explains why it happens on the ACCC website. What we need now is for resources to be diverted to investigate this serious problem. Lindt have been consistently gouging desperate consumers for years with rip-off prices and deceptively light blocks. They rarely participate in the artificial chocolate price cycle. Hopefully, Lindt will end up stuck with over-priced inventory it cannot discount, ant those theives will go out of business.

I drove to Western Australia last week, just for the experience, and was forced to buy a block of chocolate at a gas station in Cocklebiddy. It worked out at about 5.7c per gram! I hope you did better at your local chocolate outlet..

1000+ Posts

Icon11 Back to fuel pricing that some motorist's pay from their pockets.

Ignoring the lucky ones that have job supplied and fuelled motor vehicles as a salary package, most motorists have to dip into their own pockets to pay increased cost of fuel.

Today the Herald Sun published an article by Karen Collier, featured on page one and continued on page two headed "SAVE $250 A YEAR ON FUEL, IF YOU CAN"

Melbourne drivers can save $250 a year if they buy petrol at the cheapest point in the price cycle and shop around at other times
    I note it is now called a "price cycle" rather than promoted as some sort of motorist competition driven discount cycle. so that is some progress towards identifying that it is run by the oil industry that prompts the sharp rises and slow falls when it suits their marketing assessment (informed sources industry data and all that..)

article goes on to claim
    but a probe has also found it is now harder to consistently buy the cheapest fuel than it was in 2009. Frustrating city price cycles see the cost of unleaded spike by 20 cents to 30 cents a litre from a low, then slowly fall back to lower prices , in 2009 the average spike was 11 cents a litre. While there was once a predictable, weekly cycle with a cheap Wednesday and peak Friday, cycles can now last five weeks.

You will note that the industry concentrates on the base 91 RON unleaded price, but that is an illusion as most fuel popularly purchased is other grades of fuel. Diesel fuel pricing has disengaged from the old "unleaded price" where it was roughly the same pricing but now can be any price the industry chooses.

There is even a suggestion that the oil industry expects a SIN type tax loading politically imposed here, similar to that imposed by France (and the subject of much rioting by French motorists who self identify by wearing flouro, jackets they are required by law to carry in their motor vehicles.) President Macron has, in the face of this motorist disapproval, removed or suspended the state. imposed SIN taxes.

One does note anti motorist lobby calls, a form of "virtue signalling" designed to foster SIN taxing. I would hope that Australian motorists and politicians resist that divisive pressure without resort to rioting in the streets after the fact. Sugar is also subject to emotional/legal pressure towards SIN taxing.

In the Collier article -

The changing pattern and regularity of price cycles had cost Melburnians and estimated $30 to $35 million in a year
    but little about the necessity of these industry induced price rises that varyin application around the country, so that like the rim of spinning top the controllers can dip that low price in one area, while lifting it in another, all the time calculating by the average of sales at a higher overall net price over the duration of the artificial high /low price cycle. Far better to quit the illusion and sell at a better price every day where far more motorists benefit IMHO! of course.

Of course motorists would then become attuned to the actual price in each fuel range and be quick to react to any attempt to boost the base price level. i.e harder to fool motorists AND the media.

Collier goes on to write -
    ACCC Commissioner Mick Keogh said "There's a common perception that all retailers put their prices up or down at exactly the same time, but our research shows this isn't the case. So if you see prices going up at one retailer, use an app to find another.,who hasn't yet raised their price"
    What a defeatist attitude!, yes we are powerless as motorists unless we become slaves to an "app" and seek out sellers that haven't raised prices, take our business there.. (even if uncomfortable about that change) and I guess for us disempowered motorists who are determined to beat the "b@rstards at their own game and force competition by our own informed choice, that is what we are reduced to. It is just a new computer game to play to keep us plebs sort of happy.

Not ideal, but do the best you can out there folks. The force is not quite with us these days! but awareness helps.

Reporting lower prices and ignoring industry trolls, is the best we can do I guess, and it is "your money Ralph"

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 7th December 2018 at 09:45 AM.

Thread Information