import laws
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: import laws

import laws

I know David has offered to give me details of an importer but now i'm looking at eruope, something i cant resist has come up.

so do any of you know the story?
    apparently only half cuts can now be imported into Australia due to
    rebirthing issues, though i've heard that's not the case in Victoria.
    i want to import a complete wreck, no intention of rebirthing as it's
    LHD and i've got a donor car already, just want to use it for parts.
    any idea what's involved.
    I've looked into freight, duty, qaurantine etc
    what else is there to be aware of?

cheers,

Advertisement

Andreas

Andreas,
    For what it's worth, I *had* a website whic I stumbled across one night regarding importation of vehicles. It was on a Federal Government website either Customs or Transport I think. It gave a detailed description of what was allowed & what wasn't & procedures for all the red tape & associated complications. I do know that years ago the RACQ, NRMA & I assume other motoring type clubs could help with the importation of vehicles. May be worth a phone call to your State Head office & ask the question.

Alan S

If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I have looked into it further on the customs site among others.
    quite involving and the costs associted with a complete car are alot.
    you cant import a car for parts only, has to be for road or race.
    am still hoping i can buy the engine seperately, thats all i want anyway.
    thanks for your help.

jr
    andreas, hi from jr again. i feel your pain as i know what you are going through with this import stuff[ remember i tried to bring in the dimma turbo] i ran into lots of brick walls!! i looked up my recent vehicle standards bulletin no10 and it states...cars imported for dismantling purposes is not permitted' on the brighter note just bring in the motor and ancillaries yourself[about $600] esscargo in sydney recently impoted a gti6 lump and people here in bris are continually bringing in integrale motors. hope this helps....cheers jr

------------------

Andreas, I just had a thought, I know some people in the CCCV who are sharing the costs of bringing in a container of Cit bits from England, I wonder if there is enough Pug people interested in the same, might be away everyones dreams can come true.
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Hi all,
    See on our Queensland news last night (Tues. 3/4/01) that the Government was busily doing the dirty work for the car manufacturers (sorry I should have said "upholding road safety standards" to be politically correct) by confiscating a load of imported cars at a couple of car yards in Brisbane.
    Amazing how much action you get when you "lobby" (preferrably with a cheque book) Politicians isn't it??
    Thought I'd mention it whilst this thread is going regarding problems with importing.

Alan S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

it's now easy to import a car (I think) it just has to be over 15years old...

The only other 'easy' way was to own and use a car for a minumum of 3months overseas. This is how my parents bought back there 2CV and CXturbo. Last year my parents were in the UK for just on 3months.

I'd arranged to buy a 88' Citroen CX Gti Turbo II series II with the works (black leather interier, air-con, you name it...). Just as I was about to arrange payment for the car I found the import rules had changed. You know have to own and use a car overseas for 12MONTHS NOT 3MONTHS...... I had to tell the guy the sale was off... $750pounds for a CX turbo ..... Makes you sick. There worth nothing over in the UK as petrol is about $3.00 a litre.

seeya,

Shane Leviston
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

a car can alos be brought in if it is for race/rally use but it cannot be road registered.
    you are limited to 1 car and must have a C3 cams licence with the intent to use it for those purposes, log books, lap times etc are needed.
    you cant import a car to be used for parts, as i was planning to do.
    apparently all cars imported must now be cut in half, i've heard it's not the case in victoria though.
    either way i think my plans to get a T16 are on hold, the motec and throttle bodies will have to do for now.

If the above is the case, why are there so many Japanese import road cars around, Nissan Silvias and the like. All of these are about 8-10 years old. Are things different for cars imported by an individual cars as opposed to dealer imported and complianced cars for resale? Or have the laws changed VERY recently, like in the last month or so??

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

the laws have just changed due to rebirthing issues, cut and shut etc
    the Australian car manufactureres have been lobbying the govt for a while, i'm not sure how it affects importers.
    maybe it's only for personal imports?

Fellow Frogger!
    So the t16 engine is inside a wreck ?!?
    Will they separate the engine?
    Give me the contact ! PLEASE !!!

Hi Guys,

there's a car yard here that has EVERY car on it's lot stamped as a japanesse import. Every one of them is a different make/year/model. Apparenlty they just get stamped with a 'rebuild' number issued by the RTA.

Why the hell can't I bring in a couple of dozen V6XM's and CX turbos and just 'rebuild' them like this.... Bloody loopholes that no-one will tell us how to use.

seeya,

Shane Leviston
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I reckon you can still import whatever you like. You just need to have the available funds to compliance the car if you have owned it for less than 12 months or it is less than 15 years old.

It mentions that a vehicle cannot be imported for dismantling purposes, but that surely wouldn't include front cuts or rear cuts. They would be classified as parts not whole cars. Otherwise all those Japanese parts importers may be doing something totally.

For a whole car less than 15 years old, it seems you need to line up an engineer who is willing to certify or modify the car to enable it to get a compliance plate.

See this link

http://www.dot.gov.au/land/vehicle/imports/impbroch.htm
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

There is a French guy that I knew who was importing 2CV's like they were going out of style. At one stage he had I think it was 32 of them sitting in his garage. He was producing all these receipts in the same handwriting written on old paper bags & they were all for $50. The compliance plates were all over the specified age limit & he carried a briefcase full of bodge compliance & ID plates which he swapped once the car arrived in Australia. Fake compliance & ID plates are so common in the UK that they advertise in papers the equivalent of our "Trading Post." The Customs are so thick that not only were they totally unaware of the models, hence age of the vehicles none of them were bright enough to see one glaring anomoly; they were all RHD cars. Frenchman with cars bought in France & all RHD - Doh!!
    To my knowledge he's still getting away with it.
    Alan S

Hi Simon,

your right about the compliancing, but it allows you to compliance ONE SPECIFIC type of car.

This guy that's importing cars here has every car different and NONE have compliance plates, they have 'rebuild' numbers as issued by the RTA. This is crap if you ask me, how are they even legaly getting them off the docks??'. They are ALL japanese imports, every single car in his yard.

seeya,

Shane Leviston
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

With this French guy, he simply unscrews the compliance plate overseas & replaces it with one of his own. The genuine plate might say 1987 so he puts one on that says 1979.
    Gets it here, unscrews bodge plate & refits the original.
    But getting back to how these guys are importing these cars "legally" it used to be that if a car wasn't sold here new, you were entitled to import it hence the Lexus was sold in Oz but the Toyota Soarer wasn't; you could import a Soarer but not a Lexus. The main difference was the badge. If this is the case, I can't see why you couldn't import a BX 4X4 or for that matter, a BX 16V mark 1 (oops no Cat) but then I wonder how many of these Yank tanks (ie) Mustangs, Corvettes, Comaros & Pontiac GTO's have Cats?
    It's a wonder some of the guys who import 2CV's haven't bought into this little debate.

Alan S

The compliance plate is a different plate from the VIN plate, and is issued by the Federal authorities in AUS, also it is stamped with the VIN or chassis number of the car it is attached to. So you theoretically cannot do multiple registrations using duplicate plates.

As for single vehicle compliance, a certified engineer needs to be engaged to make sure that the car complies with all the required safety regulations. The most awkward ones seem to be side intrusion in the doors, and child restraint anchorages. Although things like seatbelts may be required to have AUS safety markings etc.. The engineer would be able to advise what is required, as the rules do change depending on the age and circumstances of importation.

In the case of a BX a simple fix is to fit the doors from an AUS spec car, and get the anchorages placed in the car by an approved engineer. Then the car may have to be fitted with a cat, again depending on age and circumstances.

The reason that there are so many older US cars around are that the rules change again when the car is 15 years old.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

My car is 87 which is after the law came in saying cars from then on needed Cat, but because mine was imported without Cat it doesnt need to have a Cat... like anyone would know

does that make sense???
    Daniel Djuracic

Ex UK spec 89 309
    206 XT 1.6 16V (Diablo Red)with Peugeot Lion in back windows

Here you go Andreas; eat your heart out.
    Bet they couldn't say one of these was a standard model sold in Australia.
    This came off the Auto mart on the BX Q & A forum in the UK.

Alan S

BX 4x4 Pick up for sale
    Posted by CLIVE (uk) on 4/1/2001, 5:30 pm

Strange thought eh? but true,
    Its been on a farm all its life, once a wifes car , hit by a tractor bucket , wrote off, and converted into a work horse , very smart in its day but now due to f+m the whole euipment is for sale . Cant be viewed just yet, is taxed and tested , serviced by a farmer , and open to offers. Got a photo but needs developing before scanning . Hexam area. Will keep you posted on price and more details if any interest ?

Thought I'd recycle this topic due to just receiving an e-mail from a guy I know in the UK. Tends to throw all of our theories into chaos to a point but is an actual experience presently happening right here in Queensland. Gives you some ideas of the trials & tribulations involved. The message contained this guys e-mail address which I have cut out of this posting but if anyone wants it, contact me off list & i'll send it to you.

Hi Alan ,
    got this off the xm list and wasnt sure if you were on it and could help him might be interesting to see how much it costs bringing whole cars over to you .
    chris,
    esp as 16 V are going for anywhere between 100 to 300GBP running
    Hi group,
    I've just picked up my 3.0 SEI and my BX GTI 16-Valve from the cargo company
    in Brisbane (Queensland), where after spending 5 weeks on the ocean from the
    UK in a 40 foot container, they then spent 8 weeks in the Customs warehouse
    whilst waiting for endless quarantine inspections/disinfectant/steam
    cleaning/fumigation/more inspection, and also a duty battle with Customs
    (which I won!!). All at my expense of course.
    Now comes the next fun bit.
    To register the cars for road use here, I have to get them inspected by
    safety authorities (more red tape). To pass the cars for use on Qld roads, I
    have to get a "personal import compliance plate" fitted. This MAY possibly
    involve having to modify the cars to make them an identical specification to
    those sold here by the Citroen dealer network.
    Can anybody tell me (officially, not just heresay) what differences there are
    between a UK spec and an Australian spec car so I can show the inspectors?
    Same for the BX.
    Or who the new Aussie dealer network is since the demise of Franzcar.
    My bank account is currently like a tank with an open tap at the bottom for
    all the (meagre) funds to pour out of.
    I've never seen so much mould inside a car in all my life.
    AND they managed to rip the (new) exhaust away from the catalytic converter
    whilst loading it too!
    No respect.
    Cheers,

Hi Guys,

roll on/roll off seems to be the way to go. The trouble with a Citroen is what happens if the batterie has died in the 3month trip out here. Will they just drag the car out with a tractor destroying the chassis or use a forklift....

When my parents imported there 2CV and CX, the 2CV came roll one/off. We just had it cleaned and drove it home from the docks.

The CX came in a container. It received dents across the roof and a couple of marks from someone working there way down the side of it in the crate. The old man wasn't impressed. They had used and owned them for 3months over seas so just had to get a personal compliance plate fitted.

If you haven't used/owned them for 12months overseas nowadays I don't think you can get them off the docks unless the car is over 15years old, or you have a license to compliance that type of car. (eg the 2CV's the at get done out here).

seeya,

Shane Leviston
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

If you haven't used/owned them for 12months overseas nowadays I don't think you can get them off the docks unless the car is over 15years old, or you have a license to compliance that type of car. (eg the 2CV's the at get done out here).

seeya,

Shane Leviston[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't believe this is correct Shane, that is the point I am trying to make. The instance I quoted wasn't something that happened a couple of years ago, it's something happening right at this very minute. Also, if the rules were so strict, then how are David Parkinson & Bob Conley among others still importing them ??

Alan S

Hi Alan,

I could be wrong, I think you can now import ANYTHING over 15years old. Someone must know more about this than us? To import newer 2CV's I'm think David Parkinson will have a license to fit compliance plates to 2CV's. He's probably had to crash a couple of cars etc..? in order to get it.

There's a mob here in Ballarat the do Mustangs and a couple of other types of American cars. They are probably also licensed to fit compliance plates... I think this is a very grey area, you just need to know how to work the system in each state, Who nows?. I heard the go used to be import the car into NSW, compliance and register it there and then drive it home to Vic and transfer the rego as you cross the border. Apparantly is was that much easier to bring them into NSW it was worth the effort (of course that could just be a tale to...).

seeya,

Shane Leviston
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Alan, provided your friend's 16 Valve doesn't have a split fold rear seat, I have a spare of the bar that was bolted across the back of the BX wagon's back seat to act as the Australian child restraint fixing point if he needs one. Simply bolts onto the backrest near the catch points. Know they didn't do it this way in the hatch's - did they put a hole through the boot floor or (as in AX) mount it from the top of the hatch opening?
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thread Information