Segway Transporter
  • Register
  • Help

Segway Transporter

This is sweeeeet...http://www.segway.com
    Wonder when Citroen will buy the rights and bolt some hydro-pneumatics and swinging headlights to it....

Advertisement

cheers
    Ken

I dunno. Whenever I read about this Segway, I can't help but think about the Sinclair C5. It's a very clever design but I don't see any use for the average pedestrian. Try walking, it's not that bad.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

I love the segway, it's great. The main use, I see, is for factories, where you have long distances to cover to check stock, talk to staff, etc. Much easier and personal than a golf cart. As for day to day transport, well, not so sure, but in the mid-west of america, where it's nice and flat, it'd be a great machine to use to go up to the shops.

I think it's more comparable with a bicycle, with greater convenience in space, maneouvaribility, and, of course the lack of exertion.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

UFO
    GTI124:
    I love the segway, it's great. The main use, I see, is for factories, where you have long distances to cover to check stock, talk to staff, etc. Much easier and personal than a golf cart. As for day to day transport, well, not so sure, but in the mid-west of america, where it's nice and flat, it'd be a great machine to use to go up to the shops.

I think it's more comparable with a bicycle, with greater convenience in space, maneouvaribility, and, of course the lack of exertion.
    Of course in America, you'd have to ask:

Do you want fries with that?

I can just see the fat kid getting on his Segway to go through the drarv-throo at Maccas.

shudder... mallet whip
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

rek
    It's a solution looking for a problem IMO.

The limited range of the thing (it's about 15 per charge under ideal conditions, IIRC) means that for most return trips you'd bother to take it, you could just go for a nice walk or bike ride instead.

And once you do get to where you are going, where are you going to put it? Carrying the thing up stairs is just going to make up for the exertion you didn't have to take in travelling..

The thing is of limited use in a factory as there is no load capacity. In any case, if that was really the intended purpose, there'd have been no need for all of the legal grandstanding trying to get Segways to be able to legally travel on the footpath.

There is one guy who makes it work -- he made a website about it (I forget the URL though.)

As for UFO's prediction, well it's a matter of when, not if, I think..

The technology has uses, though, I think .. just Segway isn't it. They should make a self-levelling heavy loads carrier tray type thing, so you can move fridges/couches/TVs etc. about with ease
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

rek:
    The thing is of limited use in a factory as there is no load capacity.
    Sorry, I have my manager hat on. I'd find it useful to talk to staff in large spaces, which iws why USPS, GE, UPS, etc are all trialling it. It does have some load carrying capabilities, which is why the Us Posties were trialling to deliver mail.

Anyway, I like the thinking outside the square thought behind it. There can be a market for medium distance travel, especially for us fat americans (ok, I'm not fat, but I am a yank).

I agree that it is the first step in developing further technology based on the gyroscopes.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Thread Information