ELF Oils
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: ELF Oils

ELF Oils

Guys:

I have been offer a price for ELF engine oils.

Advertisement

In particular, the HTX 822 (15W-50) for $165 for 5L or 4 x 5L for $115.

On the ELF oils website, the HTX 822 oil is rated for Rally/Endurance application.

I am planning to use that oil in my 205 GTi.
    Do you guys think it is an overkill or just simple not suit for road applications.

Cheers
    Billy cheers!
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

I use Shell Helix Ultra (15W-50). Rallyart use it on their cars so I figured it must be OK. A 20L drum cost approx. $150. Not bad for full synthetic. I use it on all my cars. One size fits all.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Pete:

Where do you get the Shell Helix Ultra from then??

20L for $150 do some tempting

CHeers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Green Goanna, Silverwater. It's a long walk from Brisbane though. Find a bulk lubricant supplier, not a spare parts place.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Pete:

This may be a dumb question mallet : Where can you find a Bulk Oil Supplier??

Cheers
    Billy cheers!
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Billy,

Try "Onshore Oils" at Lytton in Brisbane. You'll find them in the white pages.
    They will talk to you and are importers for Total Oils.
    A couple of years ago I was given their details by Total in Singapore and organised a deal on LHM that was head & shoulders over anyone else in Australia could match.
    It's run by Steve Holland, ex Olympic 1500 metre champion who is a top operator; Sarah Webb is his "girl Friday" who usually organises these things. Worth a phone call & being Total should be as good as you'll buy anywhere for a froggy.
    they do everything from cheapjack mineral up to top grade synthetics and everything in between

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan,

Thanks for the details.

I still can't understand why ELF cost so much $165 for 5 litres of HTX 822 (15W-50) eek!

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

BW205:
    Alan,

Thanks for the details.

I still can't understand why ELF cost so much $165 for 5 litres of HTX 822 (15W-50) eek!

Cheers
    Billy
    Probably because there's people prepared to pay that for it.
    High sales/big hype = high prices

Low sales/no hype = realistic prices.

A while back, I walked into "Crazy Clarks" and walked out with their stock of fully synthetic Pennzoil for $7.99 per 5 litre container. It was a promo deal. Same stuff at SuperCheap was $54 for the exact same stuff so it's not what it's worth, it's what people are prepared to pay.

Alan S

Which TOTAL fully synthetic oil would be good in me pocket rocket 205 GTi.

Using 5W-50 at the moment...which I think is too thin....thinking along the lines of 15W-50???

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

I'm using 5W-40 in my 16V and my son has 0W-40 in the one we just did the motor in that he used at the sprints.
    My motor has less rattles in it than his but then mines standard whilst his has had a "touch up."
    According to the oil experts, the thinner the better on the multi valve stuff, but the beauty of using Total is that whatever the manufacturer recommends, that's exactly what Total will be able to supply.
    If it's not piddling oil out the gaskets or smoking it out the exhaust, I really can't see much point in going thicker.
    I had some brochures here somewhere on their range & it's very comprehensive. If you ring Saeah, I'd be interested to know what prices she quotes you; may even be feasible to look at 20L at a time.

Alan S

Alan:

5W-40....isn't that a tad low for the Australian hot condition. I was led to believe 50 is minimum or it is better suited to the Aust Environment.

Do the people "Onshore Oils" only sells TOTAL oils.

CHeers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

This "harsh Australian environment" they talk about is a bit of wank at times. I have a friend in Portugal and they seem to get it as bad or worse than we do. I'd reckon if you were in Malaysia or somewhere they get overnight minimums of 28 and days of about 40 & almost no winter coupled with humidities so high you could almost drink the air, then there's a possible problem as regards contamination regardless of grade. If you lived in say Norway with average cold temps, then again I'd say thick oil could be a problem due to the car taking so long to reach temperature, but in reality when it comes to our temps (which are really only looked upon as "temperate" by description) the thermostats & fans on our cooling systems control the engine temp at around say 90 degrees + or - 5 deg, and regardless of ambient temperature be it 20 degrees or 35 (the average summer range for this region) the engine temp is approx 90 degrees. If the engine temperature were to rise with the seasonal temperature then it may be a concern but 30 degrees here is the same as 30 degrees in London, Paris or anywhere else so as I say, in reality, the "harsh Aussie Climate" in this instance is not relevant.
    About all thick oil is any good for is slowing leaking gaskets, reducing slightly oil consumption in old motors and increasing wear rates in newer ones.
    Alaso, AFAIK, Total is all that Onshore sells, but I could be mistaken as the name "Elf" & "Fina" keeps popping up in things associated with Total so chances are the range could be much wider.
    FWIW, "Total" is called Total due to the fact that they claim(ed) to be the only total oil company in the World; by that they mean they do everything from exploration through to retailing.

Alan S

Alan:

Thanks for the interesting information esp. about the TOTAL oil name.

What you said about the temperature is true and I agree to it. But my 205 is an OLD motor, so using a thicker oil may benefit in oil consumption.

Thanks for your responses, Alan, now you have given me more thought of which oil to use.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Thread Information