Any1 here ever lost their license?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Any1 here ever lost their license?

If so, how?

was it due to running out of points or was it due to a major offense and getting the lisence taken away from you? and for how long?

My mate was caught doing 150km/h on the freeway tonight. He got a big fine and a lisence suspension, he doens't know how much yet because they said he had to wait till the RTA sent him something in the mail. Luckily he was allowed to drive home, and keep driving till he gets the notice. Otherwise he and I would be strandard on the F3 Freeway now halfway between Mt Cola and Hornsby.

Advertisement

anyway, my mate drives in many racing events like the Carrera Cup and Targa tasmania and Bathurst24 etc...

He always drives to the conditions and within his limits. We were in his Porsche 911 (996) and were on a very straight stetch of black top, just chatting and not even thinking about our speed, it was a dry clear night and a new piece of smooth blacktop with 3 lanes and no curves. Our reatcion when we saw the flashing lights behind was "ohh oops... didn't realise, gee I wonder what speed that was?"

well it turned out that my mates luck turned to sh*t and he now has to fork out $1500 to the cops and on top of that be suspended from driving for 3-6 months (the cop couldn't tell us any details because he didn't know the technicalities) We asked to see the radar, and sure enough in big red numbers it said "151" km/h

ANyway, I dunno what my mate is goig to do, our only argument is that the porsche felt like it was doing a lot less then that, just tell the truth...

I feel sorry for him disappro
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

he just rang me.

He is pissed!!! both pissed off and pissed.

I just said "these things happen mate" what can you do?

One of my best mates lost his lisence on a double demerit weekend when he was pulled over for a random breath test, and was fine with a reading of 0, but his rear passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt and it cost my mate 6 points which was a loss of his lisence for 3 months! He was a good driver, he never sped, always stopped fully at a stop sign, never put a foot wrong, yet he gets taken off the road whilst crazy p platers and the likes in twin turbo charged jap crap rockets with no brakes are allowed to drive and creat havoc...
    Where's the justice!!!?
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Fellow Frogger!
    I'm sorry about your friend. I hope they don't give him a stricter than normal punishment because he's a race driver and held to a higher standard. If you're friend has to go to court he might not want to let them know he races.

What's a plater?

nbj thats sad and appalling I feel sorry for your mate hey.
    Some platers are pathetic. cry

Jamesnj... a 'P Plater' is someone on a provisional licence.

In the mid-sixties the NSW authorities introduced a scheme whereby new licencees had to have a 'P Plate' on the front and rear of their car. They were restricted to 50mph on the open road, but otherwise no restrictions not applying to anyone else.

But it was a case of one offence and they were to lose their licence. One speeding fine, one case of rolling through a stop sign or whatever.'

In time all Australian states adopted the practice, though Queensland (at least) doesn't require the fitment of the plate to the car.

So was born a whole generation, now more than one generation, that became very used to licence loss. If they didn't lose it, then their friends did, the brow-beating of authority gone mad was in force.

The problem of bunching on highways increased in the wake of these people trying to go places, of course. No doubt it caused frustration and probably many thousands of accidents over the years, especially the latter years when overtaking has been made more difficult by the imposition of speed limits on open roads that preclude clean overtaking.

I'm not saying they should be given open slather, by the way, but this system has many problems. It does, though, implant in most young minds the need to be careful.

But in others it engenders a high level of daring, as has been implied above.

For my part, yes, you don't drive a quarter of a billion kms and not come under notice. Especially if you drive older cars, as I have always done.

Court imposed suspensions, points suspensions, they've all come my way. Some for a few days, one for three years.

The aggravating part about the latter was that the events described in the court not only didn't happen, they demonstrably couldn't have happened.

I will add, too, that I never drink and drive. I have never registered any alcohol on a breath test and I always tell police on RBT duty that they are doing the right thing.

I've met some liars in my day...

Yeah my mate isn't p plater, he holds a full drivers lisence, he is 28 years old.

I don't know if he is going to take it to court, I mean we were doing the speed, we saw it on the radar, it's just at midnight on the f# freeway in a porsche 911 it seriously can creap up to 150km/h when cruising in 6th gear. The engine wasn't reving at all, like was only about 2,000rpm and we were just chatting casually, no idea we were speeding

Then the extent of the punishment really really surprised us.

It just seems unfair that my mate gets taken off the road when he drives 1000's ok kilometers per week and has never had a crash on the road and instead tells stories of avoiding crashes every week. Like I said, he always drives to the conditions, sometimes this means doing under the speedlimit is safe and other times, exceeding it in certain road and time of day/traffic conditions is safe aswell.

It was just his unlucky day frown
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hmm,

my cars barely upto cruising speed at 150km/h either. Regardless, if he was doing 150km/h ... Bye Bye license... 130 (or is it 120km/h now) is instant license loss

If he'd doing 115-120 km/h I'd feel sorry for him, but at 150km/h he has absolutely no excuse. R U really trying to tell us you had no idea you were do 50km/h over the speed limit roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau Man if your that switched off the two of you should've been walking, cos your concertration wasn't good enough to be in control of a motor vehicle.

Nope, this is one instance where I'm with the cops ... If you going to be driving that fast (no matter how safe it is) you've gotta be prepared to be caught eventualy :p

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

DoubleChevron:
    Nope, this is one instance where I'm with the cops ... If you going to be driving that fast (no matter how safe it is) you've gotta be prepared to be caught eventualy :p

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane,

I think he is refering to two different incidents. The speeding guy may have deserved it, but the passenger seatbelt bloke may not have.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

If he'd doing 115-120 km/h I'd feel sorry for him, but at 150km/h he has absolutely no excuse. R U really trying to tell us you had no idea you were do 50km/h over the speed limit Man if your that switched off the two of you should've been walking, cos your concertration wasn't good enough to be in control of a motor vehicle.

Nope, this is one instance where I'm with the cops ... If you going to be driving that fast (no matter how safe it is) you've gotta be prepared to be caught eventualy
    It is for anything over 130km/h is an instant suspension.

We were in a 110km/h zone too.

now if it was in my car, believe me I would have known how fast I was going, but believe me in the car we were in, like I said 6th gear, engine basically idling, it just crept up. I must say I felt we were going to quick, but I didn't say anything to my mate, we were just chatting, but he was concentrating. ANyway I am not saying I think he should be let off.

We copped the fine and he isn't going to debate it you can't say anything and if you tried eg "my car can handle that speed" then you would just look like a f#*king ******. It's just a shame, still don't know how long the suspension will be for, but in order to compete in rallies (which he gets paid for) you have to hold a drivers lisence, he will still be bale to race on the trak though.

I'm sorry about your friend. I hope they don't give him a stricter than normal punishment because he's a race driver and held to a higher standard. If you're friend has to go to court he might not want to let them know he races.
    No he won't have to make a court appearance, the issue is now in the hands of the RTA, he will pay the fine to them and they will then issue him with the suspension notice. If he was caught by a fixed or mobile speed camera however, it would be a different story, if the cop doesn't catch you and hand you the ticket on the spto, then you have to go to court.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

50kph over the limit is alot....

It's hard to feel to much sympathy i'm afraid....not "noticing" the car creep up to 150kph would seem pretty irresponsible, Regardless of the vehicle he was driving

What's he do in a 50 zone? eek! ,
    It's a hell of alot easier to get a 911 to sit happily at 100kph than at 50kph.....

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    over the years i have lost my license twice
    due to accumulation of points
    both times i have gone to the RTA and sat for a probationary license which the last one cost $110
    they last for 12 months and you can only accumulate 2 demerit points
    it was either that or i went without driving for 3 months and regained a full license again
    i needed to drive so i had to get it
    in saying this though i haven't had a ticket for anything for about 5 years or so now
    my brother on the other hand lost his license 6 times and to top it off is now a driving instructor
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

damn!!!!

thats pretty crazy.

Yeah I don't know the technicalities of my mates offense, but I doubt he would elect the probationary lisence option, having 2 demerit points for a year would be more stressfull then having to use public transport for 3 months. But thats just my opinion.

I lost 6 points off my lisence in Easter for doing 98km/h in an 80zone between Lithgow and Mudgee at 11:45 at night. It pissed me off, especially it being double demerit weekend. I copped the fine and got on with it, but I can't afford to get any offense now for a couple of years.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

XTC
    While the loss of license is real pain, there is no excuse for those speeds on Urban Freeways. Sorry no sympathy here - one does not "creep" up to 150kph without noticing. Even when I've driven 500 series Mercs you notice these things (and those things are quiet!).

50% over - take your medicine and swallow it ... 10% over and getting pinged I'd say the cop didn't like Porsches (or was just doing his job to the letter).

He's lucky they don't fine him according to a % of his salary (as they do for major traffic speeding infringements in some European country - I think it is Finland).

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Folks... this would be a 110 zone, not a 100 zone.

And it should be neither, but that's another story...

n b j, you don't have to go to court for a camera offence, you just get a notice ("Pay up or else!") in the mail.

XTC
    Ray Bell:
    Folks... this would be a 110 zone, not a 100 zone.
    40kph over or 50kph over, it's academic really - it's a LOT.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

It's very easy to pass judgement, however looking at the facts stated 28yo, experienced Race & Rally driver. Should have known better! Your statement NBJ, that he was driving within his & the cars limits, suggests it's a common occurence, however the LAW allows no driver discression on when it's safe to break the Laws and SPEED.
    Personaly i think it's a shame CAMS have changed their licensing criteria, it used to be you couldn't hold a CAMS license without a valid Road license. That provided the incentive for the race driver to abide by the road rules.
    And No i'm no Saint, i've had my share of lost points, currently sitting at six i think.
    2_cents 2_cents 2_cents 2_cents 2_cents
    My 10c
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

150 km/h sounds bad on paper, but on the road it doesn't feel much different to 110 km/h.

I can understand perfectly how your friend drifted up to 150 km/h on the F3. Given that there were no cars around, it's a perfectly comfortable speed. Especially in a 996.

The other day I had a go at my Dad for accelerating to 70 km/h in a 50 zone near a school. He said I had no basis to tell him what to do, given that I was caught doing 139 in a 100 on a remote highway out west last year.

He was doing 20 over, I was doing 40 over. Naturally my offence sounds worse, and if he was caught he would get a lesser fine. Where is the justice in that?

I applaud the RTA (or whoever) for introducing 50 zones. Fines given in residential areas are completely justified. I'm not exactly an angel but if I got caught, I'd think it was not unfair.

My next car will have cruise control, as I don't trust myself on highways. There is always the temptation to travel at a comfortable speed.

Sorry nbj. No sympathy here , either, I'm afraid. One of the problems with this sort of speed on an Australian freeway is that other people simply aren't expecting it (it would be different on a known "unlimited" road).

Other drivers do things assuming that their fellow drivers will be at least within say, 20% of the limit. They develop habits that are based around such expectations. A single car travelling well outside the anticipated range is not a good thing.

Note, I'm not saying that people SHOULD develop assumptions about the speed of others. The simple fact however is that they do, and your mate's behaviour was very foolish accordingly.

Cops have a bit of discretion about some things, but I doubt that any would put their own neck on the block by letting someone travelling at 150 kph in a situation like this get away with it. We can all imagine the outcry if they did and the driver managed to kill someone a few days, or a few minutes, later doing the same thing.

The fact that he was driving a Porsche doesn't enter into it. I know from all too close an experience that an exotic sports car at speed can kill a completely innocent person in another vehicle just easily as a Datsun 120Y. Much more easily, in fact, in some circumstances.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Ray,

Suspended for 3 years?

Wow, you've done some serious time!

I sense a story coming on.

=)

Fellow Frogger!
    Yes XTC206, a rich man in Finland had to pay like $US 20,000 for a speeding offense because in Finland the fine is based on the offenders tax return. It's done all by computer from the minute the cop stops them all the info comes up. Its simple and convenient. I think the guy who got the ticket owned a hockey team among other things

Evidentally, Australian males used to have quite a reputation of being real lead-foot drivers. I've read some old guide books from the 80s on Australia and they warn visitors that cars traveling at the speed of light will come out of nowhere on country roads, oblivious of everyone and everything.

From what I've read, title of "lead-foots of the world" now goes to South African white males driving Mercedes and BMWs at 200+kph! The article said they drive faster than guys on the autobahn. I got that from an article in the Economist.

As mentioned by RODHAGEN, even though the car doing the speeed and the driver driving at those speeds may be capable, MOST people aren't expecting a guy doing 200+(150+ in his case) to pass their donkey cart.

<small>[ 14 August 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Jamesnj ]</small>

Now we know where Ray's love of speed limits comes from

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Administrator
    Pug307:
    Now we know where Ray's love of speed limits comes from
    No comment

You people mustn't read what I write...

This has nothing whatever to do with it.

n b j:
    on the f# freeway in a porsche 911 it seriously can creap up to 150km/h when cruising in 6th gear. The engine wasn't reving at all, like was only about 2,000rpm and we were just chatting casually, no idea we were speeding
    (
    You guys that dont understand this have obviously never driven a Porsche or been in one....my dad had a Porsche 944 which is obviously inferior to the vehicle mentioned but man that thing used to do about 2500rpm at about 120km/h and begging for more. Lucky for us we owned it when we lived in Europe....these cars were made for the Autobahn, not for Australia Having a super car here is like having the hottest girlfriend that doesnt r**t roll_lau

I totally understand NBJ, hard luck

I agree my mate should have been busted, he deserved to get the fine and not let off, etc... it's just bad luck, thats all. If you were in the car, you would realise just how the speed crept up and how unfortunate it was.

Anyway, on another note....What does shit me off is the story of the 18 year old p plater on the F3 freeway about 2 years ago.

Now I don't know if any of you know this story, the Sydney people may know it, but it is apaulling and I know the guy who commited the offence (he is not a friend, I just know him)

Anyway an 18 year old on his P plates was driving his daddy's BMW M5 down the freeway one lonely night and was clocked on the cops radar travelling at 205km/h in the 90 zone section of the freeway. Apparently he was travelling faster too, but the cop got him well into his braking and yet still was over 200km/h

Well the matter went to court and the boys daddy just happened to be good mates with the CEO of BMW Australia, as well as hiring the best 3 lawyers in Sydney that money can buy. BMW provided a lengthy letter outlining the capabilities of the BMW M5 and what sort of speeds it was designed to do, etc...

The court somehow let him off with a small fine and no suspension of his lisence eek!

Well he was a total dick and went and bragged about it and of course down the grapevine the press got a hold of it and it became a huge uproar (AS IT SHOULD!!!) and was publisiced in numerous papers.

Anyway, the matter went back to the courts and the kid ended up getting a larger fine and a pissy little 3 month suspension. Still injustice as far as I am concered, lets not forget this guy is 18 and on his P plates.

Anyway, he is back on the street now, still driving dad's M5...

Of course dad paid the fine and he was shoufered around for 3 months.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information