The heat is on in Europe
  • Register
  • Help

The heat is on in Europe

Heatwave forces PSA Peugeot Citroen to trim output

Reuters / August 12, 2003

PARIS (Reuters) -- Searing heat has forced carmaker PSA Peugeot Citroen to trim production at its French plants as it grants sweltering factory workers extra breaks, the company said on Tuesday.
    PSA, which is already scrapping weekend and third shifts as profits slide amid a fall in demand for new cars in western Europe, said the lost time from extra "heat breaks" meant it was making roughly 50 fewer cars in France per day.
    Workers in factories where air conditioning is not installed are kept up-to-date on the temperature and are granted an extra 10 minute break once a day once it tops 33 degrees, PSA said.
    "Staff get an extra heat break for every day temperatures go above 33 degrees," a PSA spokesman said. "This cuts output by roughly ten cars a day in each factory, but isn't having a huge impact given that we are cutting production anyway."
    Each of PSA's five factories in France produces around 1,800 cars per day, and the cuts affect mainly PSA's top-selling Peugeot 307 and 206, plus the Citroen Xsara Picasso and C5.
    Temperatures have soared to around 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) in parts of France, reaching their highest levels since 1947 and causing deadly forest fires.
    Europe's second biggest carmaker said in July it would cut output in line with weaker demand in western Europe by 57,000 units in the third quarter and 16,000 in the fourth quarter, by axing weekend and third shifts at some plants including some of its French sites.

Advertisement
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

If they make an excess amount for the euro market would they then send these pugs/cits to other parts of the world at a cheaper price?

<small>[ 13 August 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: purrr-geot ]</small>

That is an interesting media release.
    It was boiling when I was in France last but not that hot.
    I went swimming in lyon which was very nice....

Fellow Frogger!
    Yeah I've heard the heat in Europe is horrible.

Does anyone know if any of the French car manufacturers offer factory tours? If a person is a car-nut, what would be the best area of France for him to visit for auto related stuff?

XTC
    Jamesnj:
    Yeah I've heard the heat in Europe is horrible. Does anyone know if any of the French car manufacturers offer factory tours? If a person is a car-nut, what would be the best area of France for him to visit for auto related stuff?
    Two people I know just came back from there on the weekend ... 1 is a whingeing pom (he re-defines whingeing pom) and said the weather was dynamite, the other was a local and said it very warm, but not unbearable.

If you don't make it to car factories you can always go to the <a href="http://www.chartreuse.fr/pa_correrie_gb.htm" target="_blank">Le Musťe de la Grande Chartreuse</a> , nice alcohol

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!
    XTC206--when I was in Australia everyone told me that English people complain a lot when they're in Australia, what exactly do English people complain about? Whinge=complain, right?

I thought Americans were supposed to be the complainers.

They Winge about anything. We have poms stay with us in February, almost every year for the last 5 years.

These poms are well travelled so don't whinge that much, but it's usually over the heat and humidity around February. Then we get an afternoon thunderstorm and we just stay out doing whatever and get wet (cool off) and then they whinge about getting wet in the rain, even though it's 35+ degrees C! You can't win!
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

n b j:
    They Winge about anything. We have poms stay with us in February, almost every year for the last 5 years.

These poms are well travelled so don't whinge that much, but it's usually over the heat and humidity around February. Then we get an afternoon thunderstorm and we just stay out doing whatever and get wet (cool off) and then they whinge about getting wet in the rain, even though it's 35+ degrees C! You can't win!
    Too true, nbj. Sydneysiders and Queenslanders are just as bad too. Had a mate down from Sydney last year . It was the middle of winter, but not too bad. A bit drizzly and fairly warm - around 8 or 9 degrees at night. He wouldn't stop moaning about how cold it was!

Up in Queensland a couple of weeks back we were camping out about 150 ks drive north of Richmond. Woke up to this absolutely stunning morning with the sun shining and the birds calling. Despite this glorious experience the "coasties" from Mackay and Townsville who were out there with me simply wouldn't stop complaining about the temperature. It must have been at least 2 or 3 degrees. Not really cold. You know that really crisp sort of cool that makes you feel alive. wink

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Is it just me, but do Queenslanders have absolutely no idea how to estimate temperature?

They just don't seem to be able to tell you, "ahh, I reckon it's about twenty degrees today". I guess it's a skill you pick up in Melbourne

I also have my reservations about their ability to add Maybe I've just been unlucky with those I've encountered

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

ahem

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Hey, I did say I might've been unlucky

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

The heat in and around townsville is totally unbearable though when I was up there last I nearly collapsed at Chrsistmas time due to the humidity.
    It was so bloody hot. God help you if you go up there in a frenchy without aircon... cry

UFO
    It was quite pleasant in Townsville in early May. The first arvo there we spent with friends demolishing several bottles of wine while watching the view from their balcony across to Magnetic Island etc.

bliss! a_drink
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi James,

There's this joke about "how do you know when a Jumbo load of poms has landed?

They switch off the engines but the whining continues"

Having said that we have a bit of a love hate thing going with the English...and the Yanks..and the Kiwis and.....

cheers!
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

dunno exactly what that says about us James, but most of the time the above mentioned is sort of well meant and we generally are able to laugh about our own alleged short comings, as a group of beer swilling, foul mouthed, farting, uncouth yobbos.

You should note that only the best of us subscribe to this forum.

We are also a nation of born bullshitters.

cheers!

<small>[ 14 August 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

UFO:
    It was quite pleasant in Townsville in early May. The first arvo there we spent with friends demolishing several bottles of wine while watching the view from their balcony across to Magnetic Island etc.

bliss! a_drink
    It's even nicer sitting ON Magnetic Island, demolishing several bottles of wine while looking out to sea, UFO!

Nice place, Magnetic Island. Much less "artificial" than most of the Queensland resort hot spots. Take your car over if you ever go. The car ferry is reasonably cheap (or you can hire Mokes over there).

Yep, May is good there (any time from March to October is usually).

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Thread Information