Approx. weight of rear mufflers
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Approx. weight of rear mufflers

Guys,

Was thinking about getting a Magnex or similar straight through rear muffler and was wondering if anyone knew what a stainless rear muffler would weigh?

Advertisement

Just trying to cost one up seems $400 all up as opposed to a Hi-Tech one which is $750 installed also stainless.

They are not that heavy..ive got a JanSpeed backbox...its not stainless steal its like a Remus.

Im pretty sure its lighter than the stock GTi6 muffler which is huge

Have u thought about a Devil exhaust?
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

I wouldn't touch Hi-Tech after seeing one that Paul pulled off a 205 GTI. I'd go Magnex for sure, and wouldn't care about weight.

Where did you get Janspeed from? They make headers for my Micra...
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Fellow Frogger!
    Yeah I might be getting a Devil from Auto Paris after all my searching from OS Suppliers.

What are peoples thoughts on the Devil exhausts?

hi

the first thing i did to my 306 was did a reums muffler on that cost me $650 eek! ,and i did not like it the only good thing about it was the sound,i was loseing power that wat are few people were saying

so then i went to hi teach mufflers on parramatta rd lewisham they did the system in my 306 from the car back for $760, and i noters a big diffencets in power and sound .so i wood talk to them and so wat wood be best for you

john
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

I got my JanSpeed from Regan Motors (Peugeot delaer and parts supplier).

It was an ex display one they had there they retail for $600-700 i think (rip off) but i got mine for $250. Its a straight bolt on.

They make quite alot of aftermarket gear but are only really big in the UK. Ive had the exhaust for about 3 years now with now problems and the sound is not too loud either.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Thanks. Janspeed don't list an Australia distributor on their webpage and I know they make headers for the Micra.

John, I'd love to see your exhaust one day, to see a different Hi Tech exhaust. The one I saw off the 205 was trully woeful
    - Lincoln

Fellow Frogger!
    I rang hitech lewisham cat-back was $850 rear muffler $480 in stainless. hitech darlinghurst were $700 for rear muffler . Jeff at darlinghust was so much more friendly and helpful though.

John did you get stainless or mild. If stainless what grade?

My main concern now is hitech seem to be able to get noticable power but are quite loud and the Remus/Devil/etc give great sound but no real power gain perhaps better pick-up at low revs. But for $600-$650 seems a heap of money when the Esscargo system is $1400 but is quality stainless system with plenty of R&D and proven results. 11kw at the wheels or abt 11% power increase. Then you go back to Hitech and he's getting 5-10% depending on car just with the rear muffler @ $480.

Bloody confusing I tell ya.

Might pay to read what David Baker at Puma Racing has to say about exhausts before you commit yourself too far in.
    He's got a big reputation in the UK for knowing what he's on about, isn't into racing stripes & hallucinating power increases & backs his work to do what he says.
    You may find it a bit interesting.

<a href="http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm</a>

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Still don't trust Hi-Tech as far as I can throw them. I went into Darlo and had a decent chat to the guy there, but in the end it was all about price, and not what I wanted. Ask to see some examples of the work they will do on your car. Ask to see the muffler before it will be fitted too.
    - Lincoln

Fellow Frogger!
    So anyone fitted the Esscargo system or driven a car with one fitted? What are your thoughts?

Also, what UK/Euro online shops are good to purchase from and does the purchase attract import duties etc?

Im actually interested in this Esscargo thing too.
    How much do they claim from exhaust? How much for intake?

There power claims sound like B/S to me but im thinking should i get a custom 2.25 cat back exhaust made up?

If so would mandrel bent be much better than a press bent setup?
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    I can't believe how much you guys want to spend on a bit of bloody metal eek! It's just a muffler !! Not an entire tuned system. Any claims of power gains without losing drivability just by changing a muffler are ludicrous ...

I've read in one of the classic car magazines that the factory OEM 205GTi exhaust system is BETTER than ANY after market system they tested, every other system either lost driveability or power (usualy both), however the power lost == noise gained.

I'll beleive changing a muffler/exhaust, without in depth testing/design gives any performance gain when I see the dyno figures.

How about I chuck a universal on it for you and charge you $1000bucks for the time it took roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau I'll even knock the baffle out of it so you can hear the performance loss if you like mallet

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!
    Esscargo claim 15-15% on their web which I told him to remove as it's misleading etc etc. They have proven results before and after on dyno for a Gti6 and their own car which was 30bhp. For a std Gti6 is was 11kw at the wheels.

Shane I agree to a point only because one Peugeot make decent enough exhausts from factory as do Honda however they're not perfect as they're designed to meet standards and obviously cost comes into it as well.

However, the problem lies with decent R&D into exhausts/mufflers on Pugs, well so it seems. Hence, why the Esscargo system if only cheaper would be the most ideal as they've tried different set-ups and found one that works.

At the end of the day it comes to cost v's gain and well all I'm after is a nice raspy exhaust note, power gain is an added bonus. I refuse however to pay $700 for a rear muffler that costs bugger all to make and is general in design not specifically for a 306 Gti6 (aka Hi-Tech).

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Kristian,

I think a 30hp gain just by changing a muffler totaly ludicrous. Tell them you'll have one fitted if they sign a contract saying it'll be free if a dyno test doesn't show, lets be fair... 50% of what they claim ie: 15hp. I betcha it makes a marginal differnce at best. Maybe 1or2 hp, but 30 !!!! roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

Your just changing a muffler, no doing the head, throttle bodies and tuned system !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I was just reading the esscargo website (shocking design bright pink writing on fluro green what were they thinking) anyways the exhaust system for the GTi6...it says from the manifold back they fit their system.

Ive read it several times but the system doesn;t include the Manifold/extractors does it? They are already an excellent design

I cannot see how changing the pipe between the extractors and the cat can be much better...the pipe is already pretty damn big and doesn't look very restrictive.

Anyone got any pics of their air intake for the GTi6? Id love to see there design.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

I think a 30hp gain just by changing a muffler totaly ludicrous
    Og course but they claim 25% from their whole exhaust system (extractors back) A muffler like u said will give 1-2hp IF THAT
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Fellow Frogger!
    Shane sorry I mislead you . The 30bhp was on their car which has had abt $30k thrown at it engine alone hence it got greater benefit from the exhaust than a std Gti6 would. This is also a complete system extractors back not cat-back or rear muffler.

WRCPUG I spoke to them about their Cat-back system for other 306s and for the GTi6 he said he would advise against it. Either the full system or a Devil muffler.

well my exhaurst is staninless i don`t know wat grade

with the sound i say to the guy that i don`t want it that loud so he put a diffenct muffler on it

i`ve had the exhaurst on my car now for 1 year and i`m very happy with it,i`ve been on the drives and i`ve been on the track day were my car hads done time of 1.24 where gti6 does 1.18 now my car is 84kws with only the exhaurst done to it,the gti6 is 124kws so there is only 6secs diffencets
    so i feel that the exhaurst has done the world of good to my car
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Be REAL careful with some of those Devil systems.
    I have heard of some of their systems on the BX 16V over in the UK being so loud that they set car alarms off if they planted it driving down streets. head_ban head_ban

Alan S deal
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tekkie runs an Esscargo intake and exhaust, not by choice, as his car came with it. From my drives of his car, it sounds great, but i don't believe it returned any additional power over my GTi6. I was doing similar lap times even though I was on R compounds (our cars are identical) on Tekkies and FM901s on my car. If you're after looks and sound, then go for it.

My personal opinion is that the Magnex system is very good. The one I saw fitted to a 205 GTI was very nice, and mandrel bent. The one that came off it from Hi Tech was utter crap and would've been much much worse than standard.

Pug are like Alfa, their exhausts are very very good as OEM. The only area of improvement is from the manifolds back, and even then the benefits are marginal...and I'm talking about the GTi6 here.

I'm also confused why you'd skimp on tyres with NCT3s and yet look at Esscargo's exhaust...or any after market exhaust. Tyres then brakes are the most important things in my book, but, that's just me...
    - Lincoln

Walshe and myself have the Esscargo intake and exhausts fitted.

The sound is fabulous, almost worth the cost alone. .. almost

the power band has moved north. Power starts at 3000, at 3500 its all go until 7200. The car is still very drivable in traffic.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Fellow Frogger!
    I was only looking at the Esscargo system for a comparative basis. No way I can actually afford it.

I did skimp on tyres and well although not a mistake I should have gone to a few more places. As I could have got better for slightly more.

I think I'll leave the exhaust as is for now.

Just my personal view, but you could've got Kumho Ecsta 712s for $115 a tyre, which is a decent performance tyre. Sorry, don't mean to be a pain.
    - Lincoln

Fellow Frogger!
    Yeah I know. I got "done" however they're not a bad touring tyre however not too much as far as performance tyre. Didn't mind the trade off initally. Now, well definately go the prefromance tyre.

Hence as I wanted XSI wheels I have put the wheels and tyres in the For Sale section

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information