Aussiefrogs history?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Default Aussiefrogs history?

EDIT 19/10/04: Just thought I'd bump this topic back to the top for the benefit of newer members. I sure found it interesting at the time.

I've been wondering:

Where did Aussiefrogs come from?
    Whose idea was it?
    Who "owns" it or pays for it?
    Who were the first members?
    How long has it been online?
    Where did the forum software come from?

Advertisement

Maybe this has been covered before, before my time as a frogger.

John.
    Last edited by peujohn; 20th October 2004 at 12:20 AM.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

1000+ Posts
    I can answer these

-Aussiefrogs fell off the back of gibgib's Citroen Berlingo van (ie he owns it)
    -MarkM hosts the site, as he runs an ISP in Victoria called <a href="http://www.dcsi.net.au" target="_blank">DCSI</a>. The site used to be hosted in the US and gibgib paid for the hosting. It was fairly slow back in those days - but very snappy now (thanks Mark!)
    -First members, I'm not too sure about. I'm around member 250.
    -Forum software is from <a href="http://www.infopop.com" target="_blank">Infopop</a> and is called Ultimate Bulletin Board or UBB. It costs money based on the number of paid employees your organisation has. I use a similar piece of software that is free from <a href="http://forum.snitz.com" target="_blank">Snitz Forums</a> and you can see my forum at <a href="http://forum.rockaroundtheblock.com.au" target="_blank">http://forum.rockaroundtheblock.com.au</a> Unfortunately my forum isn't very active
    -GreenBlood prints the stickers for free at his business Focus On Print and distributes them, and I send stickers to people who want one or two - it's my way of saying thank you and subsidising the board.

Maybe gibgib can tell us who the first members are?

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Derek.

Dek,
    Andreas a little while ago was also asking about "the first member", he noted that that no1 had only made very very few posts.
    .........mm.....who is this misterios frogger???? whats he hoon in? is he listening/reading this?
    xqisid
    ps my ty's and season greetings to all who make this possible, ie GibGib Greenblood etc.
    ... ptui!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    No 1 hey?? For a while I wondered why gibgib was No 2 .... Then I noticed each time board update was performed No 1 posted a message. My guess is No 1 is the person that set the board up

seeya,
    Shane L. (No 11?? I wonder who 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 are??)
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

<span><span class=ResizableText0>
    Originally</span> posted by <span class=ResizableText0>DoubleChevron:</span> <strong>No 1 hey?? For a while
    I wondered why gibgib was No 2 .... Then I noticed each time board update was performed No 1 posted a message. My guess is No 1 is the person that set the board up seeya, Shane L. (No 11?? I wonder who <span class=ResizableText0>3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10</span> <span class=ResizableText0>are??)
    </span> </span>
    Ty shane, by the way, is there 3-10?? ive never noted them.. maybe i wasn't looking. but this site is growing real well now.cheers
    ... ptui!

span> </span>
    Ty shane, by the way, is there 3-10?? ive never noted them.. maybe i wasn't looking. but this site is growing real well now.cheers[/QB][/QUOTE]

We can all be thankful that Gib Gib was demented enough to do it and keep doing it. He is indeed a hero and should be feted with Coopers whenever he is encountered.

cheers!
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

rek
    If my Aussiefrogs memory serves me correctly, the member #1 is named "AUS-CITY" or some such, and he's the guy that installed the forum software or some-such technical thingy. Last time I think we saw him was when the servers moved (or was it the BB software upgrade, I can't remember)

And I don't think he owns a Frog car..?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    So, Gibgib, did you expect Aussiefrogs to succeed like it has? I think it really has become more than the sum of its parts.

When did it start?

Thanks, too, to all who make it possible.

And Season's Greetings to all.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

1000+ Posts
    Bring on the Monkey...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Member 1 AUS-CITY
    Member 2 GIBGIB
    Member 3 No member profile
    Member 4 Dren
    Member 5 Share Trader
    Member 6 Mitch
    Member 7 Alex_mdc
    Member 8 No member profile
    Member 9 Comer
    Member 10 Lance da Silva

Cheers,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

aussiefrogs was started towards the end of January 2000, the forum in March 2000. Go here to see how quiet things were:
    <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20001017170923/www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20001017170923/www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi</a>

DeKa has pretty much answered it all.

AUS-CITY doesn't own a French car. His car is his transport that's all. But he is a very smart guy with technology.
    His board is here: <a href="http://www.aus-city.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi" target="_blank">http://www.aus-city.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi</a>
    He posts as Webmaster on his board.

It used to cost (my Co.) US$19.95 p/m to host the site but DCSI have removed the financial burdon from me wink

I knew it would do OK as it was unique. We were lucky to get a post a week in the early days.
    I am still resubmitting to search engines every few months, but I think word of mouth brings in the "stayers". Plus the sticker of course!

Also, Coopers is OK but I'm a Bourbon drinker just quietly cheers!

a_drink

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Ok, I was lazy,

Member 12 is 'DS' & owns 'DS and GS Citroen and VW T4 '
    Member 13 is 'Paul Smith' (didn't realise he'd been around that long !)

How did we find this out ?? 'tis a secret '

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Keep scratching & you'll find me in there amongst the early numbers possibly under some other handle.
    It was a work of art to register in the early days & I would log in and then be asked for a password. It would then tell me that my password confirmation was being sent to my e-mail. When it arrived, it would be different to the one I gave it and something real easy to remember like "a0lv192r" so you would submit that and be refused admittance along with a thing telling you how to get a password of your choice which after a few tries would lead to me e-mailing gibgib who would send back the necessary info but as I was using one of the boys net connection, he'd fire up his computer "wot's this shit???" and prompltly zap it & off I'd go again. It wasn't until the logging in process was simplified that I managed to get in without dramas.
    Since then, it's been all systems go.
    It's a very unique site that fortunately hasn't had the dramas many overseas boards have had mainly due to its private ownership.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

You weren't member 14 , Alan Smith, by any chance?

Cheers,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Hi Shane,

Member 12 introduced me to the board - he is Darren Davis, and also owns an Aussie ID19 (plus a couple of ID19 wrecks). He is a former President of the CCCNSW. His 'Daily D' is a 69 Safari.

And yes - I have been around forever!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Ralph:
    You weren't member 14 , Alan Smith, by any chance?

Cheers,

Ralph.
    I'd say that would be "Snap!!" dance

Alan S

I saw this page advertised on aus.cars and alt.autos.peugeot in mid 2000. I thought "what the hell is this guy trying to do? Surely there isn't an online French Car community in Australia to support this crazy idea"

I am very very happy to have been proven wrong though. The information I have access to, and the people I have met are well worth it.

Brendan

Looks like I was a latecomer, June 2001...

But almost from the first post I made, it was gratifying to have Dave McBean recognise me... and once again make contact with my son in America, with whom he went to school...

I spend a lot of time on the Atlas F1 Nostalgia forum, so this is pretty familiar territory for me... but when I joined up I was in the middle of that debacle when I thought I had a Kugelfischer TI motor to put in my wagon... I was getting some help from the Peugeot-L forum and some from here, wading through it during a bitter winter in downtown Murrumburrah... it was always a help to have aussiefrogs here.

And now I've met a few members, it's great. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the membership grows to 2000 before the majority of 2003 is gone... unfortunately there will be many more FWD folk who know nothing about the solid Pugs of past years, but that's the way of the world.

Thanks for the site... a good time to say a sincere thank you to those who have put themselves out to make it happen.

I've met hundreds of Pug-nuts over the past 30 years but so far have not noticed any of them here, not that I can see through the nics, except for the Pug-nut who pointed out the pond to me.
    I haven't noticed many posts from about 90% of the members here..
    Geoffrey odd frog, hopping from 403 to 405 to 407

That's so true...

Many have joined just to advertise a car or similar. Then you find that there are many lurkers... just read posts they want to and never post at all, I know one or two of them.

But when I said that the 2000 mark will go down within eight months or so, I fully expect that the level of participation will climb more than proportionately. In other words, more of those joining will be active.

I'd really like to see a more up to date BB program used, however, I'm sure this one is many years out of date. Atlas F1 had better than this when I first joined it three years ago...

The quote feature is insane, including all previous quotes in a post you quote from... though that may be an option in the program.

And how do you access private messages? Other than to send one...

1000+ Posts
    Ray,

The board is running UBB Classic 6.2.1.3
    The latest version is 6.3.1.2 so we're not far behind the ball! It's a bit of work to upgrade the board so you don't really want to do it *every* time a little update is released. Lots of the updates have little things like new graemlins, so it's not really worth it unless there is a new feature that could be handy.

To access private messages, go to "My Profile"

A lurker for a long time now is my father - he discovered the board in Google, but just reads.

Derek.

Ray Bell:

I'd really like to see a more up to date BB program used, however, I'm sure this one is many years out of date. Atlas F1 had better than this when I first joined it three years ago....
    Agreed. VBulletin rocks. A few mates use and administer Vbull and it seems to work really well.

<a href="http://www.vbulletin.com/" target="_blank">http://www.vbulletin.com/</a>

Originally posted by DeKa
    <strong>The board is running UBB Classic 6.2.1.3
    The latest version is 6.3.1.2 so we're not far behind the ball! It's a bit of work to upgrade the board so you don't really want to do it *every* time a little update is released. Lots of the updates have little things like new graemlins, so it's not really worth it unless there is a new feature that could be handy.....
    I agree... but my little list of gripes is, I think reasonable. The ridiculous multiplying of quotes I've mentioned... and thanks for pointing the way to the messages.

But the other things that would be a great help would be:

1. Where there is a pic or a long unbroken line in a post, that the whole of the thread takes up this extreme width... so you have to constantly move the screen across and back to read each line.

2. That you can't go straight to the last post of a thread.

As for the graemlins or smilies, I think these are totally over-used on this forum. Way too many post using them, particularly the hammer and dance ones. I wouldn't miss them if they didn't exist.

Have a look at Atlas F1 and see how it comes up...

<small>[ 24 December 2002, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Ray Bell ]</small>

I agree Vbulletin is a much better board, it even has a hack that isolates any large pics in a thread so that subsequent posts revert to normal table size. And it's easier to administer than UBB, 'though there are plenty of hacks for UBB too, it's generally less flexible than VB.

I also agree about the quote thing, I've never seen quoting used so keenly as here.

My little pet gripe is not being able to use my own sig-pic. I don't want to use the same pic as anyone else, so I don't use any.

I'll refrain from commenting on the board's colours
    Geoffrey odd frog, hopping from 403 to 405 to 407

3studwheelnut:

I also agree about the quote thing, I've never seen quoting used so keenly as here.

My little pet gripe is not being able to use my own sig-pic. I don't want to use the same pic as anyone else, so I don't use any.

I'll refrain from commenting on the board's colours
    The quoting business is used so that you don't have to retype from another post as quite often, topics go so far off the track and can sometimes come in so fast that an answer minus the quote makes little sense unless you go back a half dozen or more posts. The current subject under discussion being a good example; the topic is about the history of the board & its success, & ends up complaining about how it operates.
    The personal Avatar is not a problem; e-mail it to gibgib & he will instal it for you. He's done it for others; I can see no problem.
    Board colours for aussie"frogs" any suggestions? I know they have them muti coloured frogs in the Amazon so perhaps RED? eek! eek! or Yellow with brown dots? Then we can rename it "amazonfrogs.com"; Should make for some interesting postings on dug out canoes roll_lau roll_lau dance
    As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." After all, if the present system was as bad as has been suggested, how come it has been as successful as it has & more interestingly, how come somebody else hadn't thought of it & set it up differently in the first place??

Alan S cheers!

<small>[ 25 December 2002, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information