General Specs and info on 205 GTi's?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

General Specs and info on 205 GTi's?

Hey all, I'm just trying to tack down some information on 205 GTi's as i am buying one in the near future.

Advertisement

I'm just looking for general information like the specs and the differences between series 1,2 and 3.

Thanks in advance.

you move fast daniel,.
    The earlier models have the either a/c or P/steering, not both, ithink. The last series looks best but are all largely unchanged, the biggest change are the a/c and p/steer is standard on it and the rear panel runing fom light to ligth across the hatch says 205Gti.
    Also this series had 15" wheels, and had the biggest colour range, all came with a 5 speed manual and the 1.9litre 8v motor. This car is basically a road legal go kart, I think?
    Ill look so dumb being the 1st to reply and getting everything wrong, there are some real 205 experts here, PeterT, WRX2PUG, PUGRAMBO, 205gti, etc... these blokes will steer you in the rigth direction.
    Also consider picking a spanner every now and then as gti's tend to need a eye on'em. Find a good parts supplier/ and service tech/shop. Pick up a copy of Haynes Manual for the series you buy too.
    good luck.
    xqisid

<small>[ 18 December 2002, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>
    ... ptui!

S1 had no p-steer. Drum brakes at the back which work fine even at phillip island, short gearing, 74 or 77 kw depends what you read(Bosch jetronic injection), exposed metal on the door trims and red carpet. 14" wheels. Really nice seat trim, that is often quite worn by now

S2 was the same with a bit of a different dash. Less attractive seat trim, but it holds up better over time.

S3 had half or full leather (maybe the 1/2 leather was vinyl, not sure). P-steer, rear discs, longer gearing, Bosch Motronic engine management (better), 90kw, 15" wheels. I think S3's had remote locking, but as it will not work by now this is not a bonus.

The S3 reads better on paper, but the cars went about as quick as each other. I much prefer the feel of the S1. I think it was the spec of the Euro 1.6 Gti, except we got the low compression plodder motor. My S1 without p-steer was lighter to drive than some I drove with p-steer. Work that out. Some S1's can be quite heavy to steer though.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

As posted a while ago..... <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000755" target="_blank">Here</a>

"Here's a rough rundown of the 205gtis in Australia, I'm sure someone will fill in any gaps or inaccuracies

"Series 1" (87 to late 88?)
    75kw engine, 14" "pepperpot" wheels, aircon, orange front indicator lenses, rear drums, grey tailgate plastic strip, the old sliding ventilation dash (which fell apart very quickly ), cloth seats and door trims left exposed metal......

"Series 2" (late late 88 to end of 90)
    75kw engine, 14" "pepperpot" wheels, orange front indicator lenses, aircon, rear drums, new circular ventilation control dash (which lasted slightly longer), new door trims (no metal shown), reflective "205GTI" strip on the tailgate.

"Series 3" (start 91 to beginning 93)
    90kw engine, half leather interior ( not "great" leather, but it is leather ), 15" "speedline" wheels, rear discs, clear indicator lenses, air conditioning, power steering, taller gearing and central locking (that still works just fine thanks )

"Series 4s/Classic" (93 to 94)
    90kw engine, full leather interior, 15" "speedline" wheels, rear discs, aircon/power steering, central locking, otherwise as per s3....and the dark "classic" strip on the tailgate. "

and thanks to "PeterT",

74kw engine gearbox ratios (s1/2)
    diff 3.93:1

90kw engine gearbox ratios (s3/classic)
    diff 3.6:1
    ________
    WATER BONG
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:32 AM.

Tadpole
    Thats all i needed to know, thanks everyone!

Now another question - Is it possible to get a S3 for around $6500? Or am i hoping to much?

Daniel_101:
    Thats all i needed to know, thanks everyone!

Now another question - Is it possible to get a S3 for around $6500? Or am i hoping to much?
    You might........good S3s go for $10,000+

I'd get the best 205gti you can for the money rather than maybe getting a tired late model

You'll likely to get a better s1 or s2 for $6,500 than s3

To drive they are all similar, powersteering being the biggest difference.

The s1/2s have quite heavy steering when parking etc, and lots of torque steer, but communicate with the driver better than the PS models.

S3/classics steering is obviously lighter, but still quite heavy for powersteering, you won't be turning the wheel with a single finger or anything.
    Powersteering takes the edge of the feel, but almost eliminates torquesteer and all the "loading up" in corners (progressively getting heavier)

Both are fine, powersteering is easier to live with in the city.

Powerwise, the 90kw cars are faster, they pull for a lil longer...the difference is not as great as the power figures may suggest, the gearing takes an edge off the later cars....the s1/2s are noticably punchier low down due to the gearing.

later ones are easier to live with on freeways etc

It's all subjective, go out and drive them
    ________
    LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:33 AM.

Tadpole
    I think i will be going with a S2.

I would 'like' to get a S3 (p/s and 90KW) but i just don't think my budget can accomodate that.

But you never know, a nice S3 could come up for around $6500.......... dance

EDIT : One last thing, i was searching some older threads on this board, and I read that series 2 from 1991 onwards had 90KW as well.

<small>[ 19 December 2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Daniel_101 ]</small>

Hi Daniel,

for the money, i'd agree with D2's comments (eyy DTwo wink )... go for a series 1 or a series 2. Obviously look for one that hasnt been crashed too often roll_lau whip , and one that is mechanically sound.

Although, my series 1 (ive had her for about two years, now... btw, her name's "cloe") has done about 236 thou, she still pulls hard head_ban ... whatta demure wrecking ball!

I prefer the painted metal interior, of the series 1, as its an awesome "oldskool" styling cue... remember, it is the performance car of the decade - 80's evil .

Also, i prefer the look of the vertical ventilation dash over the wannabe-oh-so-modern-looking dial style, over the later models.

The grey reflector panel does look a little gawdy, but hey, its not as if u could see it from the drivers seat mallet .

The non-powersteering models offer more feedback. So if youre after an experience i.e. making every trip to the milkbar an event, go for the non- arsesitted model.

Because of the 205's vintage, "things" may need some attention... but thats a given considering some 205s have lead a hard life. Having said that, "enthuisiasts" tend to be the most caring of car owners

For a touch of luxury, maybe keep a keen eye out for ones that are optioned with a sunroof.

Regardless, of what series u purchase, itll all be worth it in the end... let the year of decedance begin.

chin cheers! chin,

pugjet
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Thread Information