I hate GTi6 wheels
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

I hate GTi6 wheels

I just got some new tyres for my car, Goodyear NCT3 and hindsight is a good thing but probably should have shopped around a bit more. Anyone else with these tyres?

Anyway the whole on car balancing thing is a royal pain in the moon Expensive and no-one seems to be able to get it right. The new tyres are virbating quite visciously above 90kms (front & rear) Now I definately want some 15" wheels that can be balanced off-car.

Advertisement

DO the XSI wheels have the centre whole? How much could I sell Gti6 wheels for?

Fellow Frogger!
    Kristian, i had the same problem as you when trying to get the wheels balanced, some people said you needed a special machine others said you didn't.

I ended up going to bob jane in granville and they balanced my wheels fine (150kmh on the freeway to test )

Fellow Frogger!
    How much did they charge you?

Bob Jane at Granville bollocks up our GTi6, I wouldn't recommend them, simply because they charged A&J for a balance that they couldn't do. That is, we went in and saw them after A&J failed to fix it, not realising that A&J sent the car down there anyway. Bob Jane couldn't balance it as my car has an after market LSD fitted. We didn't know this at the time, but after they came back and told us they couldn't do it and we spoke to A&J...well, you get my drift...

Bob Jane at Drummoyne are very good and can do an off car wheel balance on the GTi6 rim. I suggest you go there instead of Granville. We still have a vibration at 160 or so, which is a bit annoying. If you really get the #%@ts with it, you can do what Voytek did and get some 15" XSi rims. I'd recommending doing that as his car is very smooth with those rims. However, the GTi6 rims are damn sexy, I really like them. Give it another go with balancing.

Let us know how the NCT3s are, I didn't think they made them in a low profile tyre. I would've thought the Goodyear Revspec would've been recommended to you in their range.

<small>[ 15 September 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Does the Gti-6 have a larger rim size than the xsi?
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

Just out of curiosity, what is it about GTi6 rims that makes them so hard to balance off-car?

Troy.

XSi and GTi6 both run 15s. The last of the XSis ran the same rims as GTi6, which are the same rims as the Cabriolet.

The GTi6 does not have a centre hole in the rim, it's has a solid "core". This hole is required to do an off car wheel balance. As such, they do it on the car, spinning the wheel up to 100kph+ and balancing it there. Apparently an on car wheel balance is the most accurate as it takes into account all of the rotational mass, rather than just the wheel and tyre.

In my case, with an LSD, drive was transferring to the other wheel when they were spinning the wheel up on the car. When both front tyres are off the ground and one is spun, the other one should not spin too, in my case it did, indicating there an LSD fitted to it, transferring the torque from the wheel spinning to the other one. If the ratio was say 4:1 then 40% of the drive was going to the other wheel, requiring errr...now I'm getting mathematical, I think it would be an additional 75% of torque would be required to spin the wheel up to speed. So if you normally spin up to 100kph for a balance test, it would have to spin up to 175kph to account for the LSD...something those poor little machines can't do. Think I got that right...err...anyway, it can't be done on car with an LSD.
    - Lincoln

Fellow Frogger!
    Yeah the Revspecs were $195 ea. as opposed the the Eagle NCT3s $140 so couldn't justify the price difference. Bit of a trade off performance v wear rate as well NCT3s will get 50kms

They NCT3s are very very quiet compared to my P6000s with flat spots

The difference in handling is excellent me thinks only cause tread v's not much tread

Don't mind the XSI wheels myself where can I get some?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    there are some places around that can balance wheels without centre holes in them
    i get mine done in dubbo so there would have to be around the sydney area
    all pugs from 203c up to 504 and some 505's didn't have holes in them either

i must also add that all tyre dealers can balance the wheels if they are prepared to go to enough trouble even if they don't have the adaptor to do it
    it entails pulling their balance machine apart though and they couldn't be bothered for 2 maybe 4 wheels
    BTW the adaptor is around $1500 to buy
    maybe a group buy idea for one is an idea and just share it around people to take it along to their prefered tyre place to use and get their wheels balanced
    just a thought
    but like i say pugs have had this dilemna for a long time
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Mmm thats rather ghey of the GTi6 rims isn't it?

Well *** me im gonna have a hard time balancing my GTi6 rims when i get sum tyres for them.

I wouldn't go aftermarket 15" they all look crap Kristian maybe get the XSI rims they look good

On the note of tyres which are the best gripping most sticky tyres i can get for my GTi6 rims? Can i fit a 205 sized tyre on there?
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

there are some places around that can balance wheels without centre holes in them
    i get mine done in dubbo so there would have to be around the sydney area
    all pugs from 203c up to 504 and some 505's didn't have holes in them either

i must also add that all tyre dealers can balance the wheels if they are prepared to go to enough trouble even if they don't have the adaptor to do it
    it entails pulling their balance machine apart though and they couldn't be bothered for 2 maybe 4 wheels
    BTW the adaptor is around $1500 to buy
    maybe a group buy idea for one is an idea and just share it around people to take it along to their prefered tyre place to use and get their wheels balanced
    just a thought
    but like i say pugs have had this dilemna for a long time
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Bob Jane at Drummoyne have this adapter.

I would stick to 195 55 R 15, don't bother going to 205, it really does handle better on 195. Best grippy would be an R compound, Yoko A032Rs or Bridgesonte R530s (I think, that's the model, Darren runs them). Down a notch would be Falken Azenis RS. Down another notch and do a search in the Peugeot forum as we've talked a fair bit about GTi6 tyres in there.

<small>[ 15 September 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>
    - Lincoln

Fellow Frogger!
    Bob Jane Drummoyne $40 for 4 wheel balance using their adapter. Cheaper than on car although still a 1.5-2hr job.

Hmmm... kinda liking the look of the XSI wheels better than the GTi6 wheels now. Why is that?

Kristian,

The XSI rims are a dream to balance. The tyre shop that did mine commented how one of the rims didnt need any weights at all it was so perfectly balanced. AndI managed to get them upto 160km/h (controlled off-street environment) wihout any shudder. There is no difference between the rims apart from the above mentioned hole in the centre which allows al tyre places to balance them.

GTi6 Rims have the spokes that extend all the way to the tyre making them look larger but I was very pleasantly surprised how nice XSI rims look on the GTi6.

Tyres: As Lincoln said. YokiesAo32R, Dunlop D01J, Bridgestone Re540, Falken Azenis or the supersoft Toyo Proxes.
    Then you go for range of high performance road tyres as covered by Lincoln elsewhere on this forum.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I had a (series I) XSi, always thought the rims were one of its most attractive features. Never liked the look of the GTi6 rims by comparison, thought they looked a tad on the cheap'n'nasty side. My opinion only, FWIW, but I'd swap them out ...

peugeot_ MY99 206GTi
    renault_ Clio 1.4L auto
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

1000+ Posts
    I LOVE my 306XSi rims wink

Mind you I like the rims on the 206GTi as well.

Derek.

Fellow Frogger!
    I tend to agree the XSI seem more classy than the GTi6 wheel although I thought from pics only that the XSI looks larger than the Gti6 although never seen both in flesh side by side

Settled.... Anyone know some wreckers/used parts places in Sydney that may have some XSI wheels

Or...Anyone willing to do a swap

in the cars for sale section you will find an XSi damaged
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Kristian:
    I tend to agree the XSI seem more classy than the GTi6 wheel although I thought from pics only that the XSI looks larger than the Gti6 although never seen both in flesh side by side

Settled.... Anyone know some wreckers/used parts places in Sydney that may have some XSI wheels

Or...Anyone willing to do a swap
    I have an set of XSi wheels on my 205 ...and I also have GTi-6 wheels...the reason I got the Xsi wheels is because of the ease of balance.

Anyway, just a piece of info, the Xsi wheels cost more than the GTi wheels as a seperate part if you buy from the Dealers and they need to get them from France.

CHeers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Fellow Frogger!
    Hmmm XSI wheels could be very hard to get hold of.... found some decent after market wheels.

What would the GTi6 wheels be worth?

Kristian:
    Hmmm XSI wheels could be very hard to get hold of.... found some decent after market wheels.

What would the GTi6 wheels be worth?
    did you call about that one in the for sale section ?
    they may swap wheels with you if you ask them nicely
    worth a try anyway

me on the other hand prefer the GTi-6 wheels
    i'm pretty used to the lack of centre hole saga after all these years of owning a various array of pugs
    this one is number 21
    and it's the longest i have ever owned a single car
    in some ways i'd love to have the collection i used to have years ago
    i had 9 cars in one hit at one stage
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information