Help: Installing After market decks
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Help: Installing After market decks

Guys,

Advertisement

I've had a JVC deck for about 18mths now sitting under my bed doing nothing. I thought I'd get off my butt and fit it in the Pug. However after pulling out the Eurovox I found that the wiring/plugs are totally different to the JVC's. Thought it would be 'plug n play'.

Anyone know a good installer that can help me out as I don't like mucking about with wiring.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    not too hard to do if you have the owners manual in front of you if you want to try it yourself

in the manual it shows you all the connections to wire the unit in

or alternatively you might be able to get an adapter to plug from your HU to the pug plug
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!
    Kristian,

The stereo wiring in the 306 is pretty much standard so i don't see why you can't just take it to any installer to get it hooked up.

It's not too difficult if you want to try hook it up yourself.

There is quite a few people on here that have done so themselves, all here to help when needed inc myself.

I installed a deck on my old 306, i don't remember any problems with the install but it was a couple of years ago.

cheers,

Joey

Fellow Frogger!
    I wouldn't mind giving it a crack myself however I want to do it properly as well

How much would an installer charge for this job, might not be worth the hassle?

Installer will probably charge $50-100.

I did my JVC unit the easy way. The Pugs use a Euro adapter which is a standard configuration covering all the usual wires. The Sony headunits come with a Euro harness adapter. I got a hold of one of these and spliced it into the JVC loom before the adaptor which was on the unit.

I'll ask my source if I can get one for you, otherwise, without taking my unit out I couldn't tell you what the pattern is. You might be able to by a Euro harness from somewhere. Do you know Chris?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!
    Not personally but I've heard he's a very good bloke wink

The speaker wires from the deck have RCA like points so may be a little more complicated?

Sorry, the "Do you know Chris?" was asking Chris if he knew , but yes, he is a good bloke.

The RCA plugs are only if you are using an amp. These are used to give the amp a signal (along with the remote wire) and shouldn't be worried about.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

nJm
    When sticking stereos in 505s I just use a wiring 'block' thing from dicksmith. I'm sure it isn't the optimal connector to use in terms of audio quality, but it seems to work fine.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

A simple way (the way I do it) is to use a tap/ joiner on each wire. They displace the insulation without damaging the conductor. You will need a volt meter to find your 12V & 12V switched.

Use an AA battery to work out which speaker is what in your car (ie. listen for the crackle sound). Speaker wires in Pugs are lighter gauge & are colour, colour/ stripe pair.
    When you sell you only need unclip the joiners & plug the original back in.

Jaycar eg

Thread Information