PC Problems
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: PC Problems

PC Problems

Last Monday somehow my Master Boot record was re-written & 2 partitions became unreadable to windows including my main o/s.

Advertisement

All I can say is I'm glad for a program called "GetDataBack". This program was able to salvage the data on the two partitions & I could copy it all to a safe partition, format the offending back to NTFS & put the data back!

It's taken nearly a week but all is as was now. I lost only a small amount of data which can easily be replaced.

There were other complications including my old o/s choosing to call itself on a different drive letter so I could log into it. Spent a day on this. Eventually tricking it so I could get access to the registry & changing the drive in there

Here's some of the sites that helped me.
    If it happens to you, you can do a search & bring this up & may assist.

<a href="http://www.z-a-recovery.com/checklist_2000_partboot.htm" target="_blank">Zero Assumption Recovery</a>
    <a href="http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/130273.html" target="_blank">Computing.Net board link</a>
    <a href="http://members.aol.com/axcel216/secrets.htm" target="_blank">MS DOS Undocumented</a>

<a href="http://www.gpick.com/tq/TQ_Pg15.htm" target="_blank">Windows 2000 Tips</a>
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q249321" target="_blank">Microsoft Drive Letter Change</a>

<a href="http://www.runtime.org" target="_blank">Runtime - GetDataBack program</a>

Get a Mac!

Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

<a href="http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore" target="_blank">http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore</a>

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

<a href="http://www.redhat.com.au/" target="_blank">http://www.redhat.com.au/</a>

<a href="http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/" target="_blank">http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/</a>

<a href="http://www.everythinglinux.com.au/" target="_blank">http://www.everythinglinux.com.au/</a>

Cheers,

Ralph.

a_drink
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

No thanks.

I've yet to see a domain host offer Apple o/s servers & 90% or more of my customers are running a Windows platform.

I am tempted to try Linux one day but seeing how many hours I spend in front of this screen, I'm sure learning about it would encourage more wasted time.

In the whole 5 years I've had a PC this is the first major drama so I'm doing OK.

Thanks for the tips GibGib. Just last week my PC froze and it appears I may have lost about 30 Gb of data across 3 drives. I can't see if they are working either because the only bootable CD I have is a Win98 install CD and all the drives are NTFS - Grrrr.

Lucky I have my piece of shit Mac to keep working with. wink

I will never, ever buy another Mac out of warranty. They are poorly built junkboxes with outrageously expensive parts, but I still buy them because OSX and Airport is well wicked and they still seem to implement ideas that the rest of the industry follows (USB, Firewire, TFT screens, WiFi, intelligent design etc etc)

I am a big fan of DriveImage from Powerquest. Although I use XP, I do quite a bit of fiddling, sometimes causing irrepairable damage. I can have my full OS back with most usual apps in under an hour.

Driveimage can make a compressed image of any x86 partition and can span multiple files. Any size partition with around 4GB of data can be spanned into 3 700mb files which are then burnt onto CD. It's then simply a matter of running a dos based program to reimage the drive. In fact you don't even need the same drive or partition, so long as there is enough space on the drive to fit the uncompressed data.

You also have the ability to browse these compressed files in windows and pull out any data you need.

Of course if you are talking about a 120gb multimedia drive, then you may need a little time (and a spare 60GB drive) to backup on. Thats where RAID arrays come in handy
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Macquered,

Have a look at:

<a href="http://www.bootdisk.com/" target="_blank">http://www.bootdisk.com/</a>

Quite a handy site.

Cheers,

Ralph.

nJm
    Macquered, what sort of Mac do you have? I've always thought they were pretty reliable. Hell, we had a 1985 Mac Plus which we only got rid of a couple of years ago and it still works (although I think the mouse broke and the SCSI port was stuffed by then).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Ralph - bloody awesome!

That site will probably save my arse.

nJm;

We have owned;

Mac II
    Colour Classic x 2
    Performa 5200
    Powerbook 3400
    Powerbook G3
    iMac 233
    TiBook 400
    iBook 500
    Numerous other Apple bits and pieces. I even have an original AppleCD! The little vertical mount one in a funky case.

I currently use the TiBook as a day to day machine, and I am amazed at how poor the finish is. Within weeks the paint was peeling, the case fractured in a minor bump, and the CD-Rom drive failed shortly after warranty expired. CD-Rom replacement is about $1100. Yeah right!

<small>[ 17 December 2002, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: macquered ]</small>

505604:
    Get a Mac!
    They are not immune from these sorts of disasters!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

macquered:

We have owned;

........snip....

I currently use the TiBook as a day to day machine, and I am amazed at how poor the finish is. Within weeks the paint was peeling, the case fractured in a minor bump, and the CD-Rom drive failed shortly after warranty expired. CD-Rom replacement is about $1100. Yeah right!
    Interesting macquered. I've owned a few Macs too, since 1985. The only hardware problems I've ever had were a dead joint on a Mac Plus (fixed for $10), a problematic battery (replaced under warranty) on an LC520, and a fractured power connector on a PB190 (again replaced free under warranty, even though I'd actually pulled the whol computer off the desk by the power cord by accident!)

Total computer repair costs, running Mac desktops 12 hours a day for 17 years and powerbooks of various types intermittently in between in various remote places - $10!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

rek
    Macquered, I think you'll find it's called a "PowerCD", not an "AppleCD". The Apple CDSC was a big beige box-looking thing sized to sit underneath a Mac Plus/SE/classic, and used CD caddys. (useless fact #438793)

IMO the Apple PowerBook Duo stands out as one of the best ever computers I've owned. The PowerBook 540c comes a close second.

And since this is turning into a Mac review thread: wink

Mac Portable -- my first Mac, got me hooked. Got it cheap from some 2nd hand computer place. Loved it, so long as you didn't need to use its portable-ness
    Mac IIvi -- my first 'real' Mac wink a bit pokey but was all good.
    Mac IIfx -- we bought this because it was at an absolute bargain price. This was an absolute screamer with no compromises, it was like a McLaren F1, no expense spared in its design. I have no idea what we did with it, as I can't recall us selling it
    PowerMac 7100/66AV -- what the IIvi got upgraded to
    PowerMac 8100/80AV -- opposite of the IIfx, I can't remember why we bought this one. Absolute piece of rubbish, it just wouldn't stop stuffing up.
    PowerBook 165 -- decent workhorse machine, nothing to write home about, but nothing bad either
    PowerBook Duo 270c -- fantastic concept, and implemented just as nicely.
    PowerBook 540c -- also fantastic. My brother still has this, though the 'intelligent' batteries are long dead now.

then switched to PC, as Macs progressively got more 'cheap and nasty' in build/design, and the OS stagnated. The only PCs that I found with as high a quality/reliable feel as the older Macs are IBM ThinkPad notebooks, and Pentium 4 desktop machines with Intel 845/850 chipsets (with Win2k/XP.)

more recently on the Mac front:
    PowerMac 7300/200 -- bought it for my father
    TiBook 667 (DVI) -- bought this to help me 'switch' back to Mac (OSX looked great for my kind of work.) I ended up ditching it a few months later.

I would absolutely LOVE to have a G4 Cube though, with one of those 1GHz upgrade cards in it.

Oh, and I 'rescued' an old Quadra 700 from the scrap-heap at a friend's work last week. It still works as good as ever. Oh, System 7 *snif* wink

The TiBook sure was very stylish and flashy but not all that utilitarian (like Macquered said, just look at it the wrong way and it'll scratch, peel, break, or generally fall apart). But I think I have rambled on about this before someplace.. wink
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Rod - I'm happy that you have had such a good run with Macs. I think I will always have a soft spot for them, but when I add up all the heartache, and cost over the years that they have caused, it makes me cry.

For a while in the late 90's, I worked as an Apple tech so I've seen my fair share of broken Macs.

Those new TiBooks with a superdrive + 20Gb iPod would be sweet though

PowerCD - Aaah! I should know that - it is still sitting in my living room!

It's not connected though, I just think it looks cool =)

I also have a set of AppleDesign Speakers - they broke long ago though. Theres a Newton 100 stored away somewhere too. I chucked out my StyleWriter II just last weekend.

I remember lusting over the 8100/80AV in the Apple Store's hehe.

I've gotta say though, my brother's iBook 500 is a seriously nice machine, so much more utilitarian than the Ti's. If they brought them out with the superdrive and a G4 processor, I think I would replace the TiBook pretty quickly.

There is infinetly more alternatives in PC hardware than Mac Hardware. Mac's cost more over time but cannot not run most programs (as most are made for PC) and as was said eariler, parts are more expensive .

As a computer technician I have looked at many Macs and the quality is there but PC's are a lot easier to fix.

BTW if your hard drive was developing errors there may be something else wrong eith the system

Daniel
    Daniel Djuracic

Ex UK spec 89 309
    206 XT 1.6 16V (Diablo Red)with Peugeot Lion in back windows

I "inherited" a 17" Tritton monitor that decided to fill its nappy a week or two ago. This was the 6th or 7th monitor that was replaced under warranty so I said to the boys, let's just keep getting 'em swapped over, after all 'tis under warranty and when it cacks its dax out of warranty, then we'll replace it.
    But alas, 'twould appear they are no more; gone; ta-ta; caput; done a dizzy; shot thru and generally disappeared which doesn't really surprise me given that they sent three monitors to me as replacements, two of which were cactus straight out of the box (says heaps for their quality control) freight free from Sydney @ about $40 a pop so the couriers were paid more in freight than was originally paid for the monitor.
    And of course.....Made in Korea mallet mallet mallet

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

PUG309:
    Mac's cost more over time but cannot not run most programs
    Interesting theory Daniel.

I've owned 9 macs, all of which are still running (and in use by various relatives etc) except for an early 'Fat Mac" which gave up the ghost after i'd sold it to someone. As I said before, total repair costs in 17 years - $10!

As for "cannot run most programs" , the only real limitation is in the area of up market gaming, and even this has improved substantially in recent times. There are no commonly used business or creativity areas that I can think of that aren't fully catered for on the Mac.

Interestingly too, the Mac XServe hardware and OSX server software are now doing serious damage to the market dominance of Sun and IBM in this area. Check out <a href="http://www.apple.com/xserve/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/xserve/</a>

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 18 December 2002, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Those Xserve's are way cool. We have one at work here, I asked if I could touch it and the guy said no

It would be interesting to see how much you would have spent if your Mac's were out of warranty.

The retail prices of some Mac motherboards are often *over* the price of the original retail price of the machine.

I use my iMac as a footrest, it is really comfy and it looks pretty cool too.

Has any one tried Linux? It's available as a free download from the links I posted above. 90% of all software is free and it is not as vulnerable to viruses as a Windows based PC is.
    Bit of a steep learning curve though! I've just set up RedHat 8.0 on my computer, dual boot (tri boot?) with XP and Win2k Advanced Server. It recognised and installed all peripherals (scanner, printer USB scroll mouse etc.) without a problem. It runs on anything but Macs, although I have heard a version for the Mac is being developed. Well I'm about to compile a custom kernel to suit this computer, can't do that with Windows!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Plenty of Linux available, for Macs, Ralph, but as MacOSX is now the most widely distributed Unix based operating system anyway, Linux will probably stay in the realm of the hobbyists.

Cheers to you and your kernels

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Ralph, I might give this Linux thing a go...

Just looked at the first site. Is Red Hat 8.0 what's best?

It will mean 4 operating systems on here then (quad boot??). I assume it runs on a Fat 32 partition OK?
    Would prefer NTFS but that's a big Windows thing

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Linux is not bad
    the newer versions are starting to use a lot more GUI now so they are looking more like windows
    i run just enough linux on our dial up machine which makes the net faster as we aren't going through the windows bandwidth
    what we run is called freesco version 2.7
    just about to upgrade to version 3.0
    freesco can run from a floppy which is ok as you don't need a HDD but having a HDD is faster
    as with anything to do with linux you need a hardware or external modem
    one of our customers runs XP/98 and linux on his AMD XP1800 machine so he has a triple boot
    he plays with linux but mainly used XP and 98 for everything else
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

My linux box runs smoothwall at the moment, shares the cable internet around, and also acts as the firewall

goign to replace it with something with a web server tho.

I use a lot of unix at uni for programming etc, but for ease of use, you just cant go past a PC. Ive played with OSX, and the conclusion i've come to with macs are, things rarely go wrong, but if they do, they do so in a big way

1000+ Posts
    I've read that SuSE Linux is pretty good too, <a href="http://www.suse.com" target="_blank">www.suse.com</a> and there's a fair bit of gen linux info at <a href="http://www.tldp.org" target="_blank">www.tldp.org</a>

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information