Ford vs Holden
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Ford vs Holden

Ford vs Holden

Well, the time has come to ask froggers the eternal Aussie question: if the world was not endowed with frog cars (a dark and dull world indeed )and one had to choose between a "Barely-holden-together" or a "Fordn'apart", what would be the choice??

Advertisement

Personally, i could never see myself in a "crummidore", the last thing i'd be is a Holden P**F.

My opinion is that the duel is decided by Ford's heritage: the GT range XT phase 1, XW phase 2, XY phase 3 and the nearly mythical phase 4 XA. Hardly matched by the Xu1 torana and Brocky...

An american Nascar mechanic once told me "If you want a racing engine on a budget, get a Chev. If you want the best engine regardless of cost, you get a Ford".

I like what my dad thinks though "Same sh*t, different smell"
    lol

Pretty gross... do you think you could cut down on the language?

Now, about the heritage... are we talking Holden versus Falcon, or GM versus Ford?

Can we bring in the true heritage? Fords that made their place in the motoring world with a car that became so out of date they closed the plant down for a year to bring out a replacement model... a car that was to bring them in line with the industry in general?

Then there's the GM-H background, the Australian branch that forged its way without directly using design and development work done in other parts of the world... sure, they have commonality these days, but even then they have to strengthen the bodies dramatically so they can keep the aesthetics in place on the outer skins.

I think one of the best answers to your question is to point to the results of the 1979 Repco round Australia Trial.

I totally agree with your father there renaulturbo dude, it's a case of same sh*t different smell. I think I'll call them Folden Falcadores from now on.

'There's nothing quite like a Holden' - Thank God!

'We have Ignition' - So where's the take off?
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

ford or holden, gmh v ford,....which one...hmmm
    both of these companies and the cars they made down under only exist because they are all based on european or usa models....if u care to make a decision u need to recognise the heritage of the europens and usa cars to fully qualify a decision on australian cars.....what i m basically saying is that there is no aussie car that hasn t got an overseas (borrowed) equivelant....and dont bother looking it up...its futile....in reference to the early falcons...what can i say....they were CRAP cars that became legendary because of the ignorance of what was out there at the time(and a certain mountain)...putting a six into a 70s torana was probably one of the most successful results...anyway its possibly this awareness and how both of the manufacturers cars drive, that would never see me behind the wheel of either...at the moment my head is with the old mercs, my HEART is with my pug..fords and commodores just have no place in my considerations.....

Still amazes me how they make such a fuss about IRS.
    So pathetic disappro
    What century are they in?

But mate... it goes like hell!
    Yeah if you put a V8 in the bloody thing it's got to go hasn't it? Where's the fun?
    The steering geometry & handling is sorted out after we fit the engine.

Sensiblity is putting aside ego & adopting an adequate approach using half as many cylinders for the same result - unless you need the power for towing or similar.

I'm not so sure about that...

I'd like to have a car with better than 140hp that returned 38mpg on a trip...

And while Falcon genealogy always went back to American roots, Holden's original designs were always just that. Right up to the HZs they were unique. I mean the full size cars, of course.

When the Commodore came in they used a German shell, but had to beef it up for local conditions. Still, all the mechanicals were of Australian heritage until the VL came out with the Nissan engine.

After that the 'world car' idea really took hold.

I think I would result to the bike. I would have no pride or will to love or even wash a Ford or Holden.

If I was paid to drive one it would have to be a Statesman 2002.
    Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

So I've got to pick a Ford or a Holden eh?

Think I'll go for an Aston Martin or a Jag S type. They are both Fords now . aren't they?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    '51 model twin spinner convertable lowered with a 302 winsdor nice cams and quad side draughts with a nice gear drive coupled to a 5 spd supra box and a ford 9" diff with q0"wheels under the rear and 8" wheels under the front
    a set of lakes pipes coming out either side
    then cover the body in a deep pearl blue
    the wheels would be chrome to match the exhaust
    that's if i had to have a choice between a holden and ford
    if i couldn't get that then maybe an XC coupe with a few mods
    when it comes to a choice between the two makes i can't see myself in a holden of any sort i'm afraid
    sorry for the language
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

A Ford Focus 2 litre 3 door or the latest GM Astra for that matter, would do me fine....

....until I had to work on the thing.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I sense a locked topic fast approaching...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    VN vs EA... neither
    VP vs EB... EB
    VR vs ED... VR
    VS vs EF... EF
    VT vs EL... VT
    VX vs AU... VX
    VY vs BA... BA

But there would be no passion in the relationship whatsoever.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information