Tire Screeching
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Tire Screeching

Fellow Frogger!

Tire Screeching

Why do so many males screech their tires? Is it intentional or usually just spirited unrestrained driving?

Advertisement

I first noticed this tire squealing phenomemon with parking valets who seem to squeal their tires in parking garages when not many people are around, but I've also noticed it afterhours at new car dealerships---the technicians seem to move the cars around the lots and in and out of the service areas at a tire-screeching pace.

When I spend time in the country, every Fri and Sat night around 2am you can hear the hideous tire squeals of burning rubber in the nearby mall parking lot. Of course, that type of tire squealing is intentional, but when guys are moving cars from point A to Point B for work purposes are they intentionally trying to make a lot of noise or just move the cars quickly?

This is not a cultural phenomenon either because I witnessed it in Australia with the parking valets from our hotel. In Perth I saw a guy pour oil on the street and burn rubber with his dad's BMW, of course that was intentional

<small>[ 14 September 2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Jamesnj ]</small>

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i dunno about it not bieng a cultural phenomenon as it seems no matter what american movie i see and no matter what car they are driving in american movies the tyres have to screech
    but really i htink it is either showing lack of education or just a young thing or they have an endless bank account for tyres and mechanical components
    either that or i must be getting old

better hurry up and find a 403 wagon and start the transplanting
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts
    There was plenty of tyre screeching going on today from Dr.306's 306XSi wink

A small amount in the C3 too...

I don't intentionally screech tyres around the city, I mean it's just wasting rubber, but when you're having fun on a nice windy road, who cares!

I'm sure Pugrambo would agree with me there,
    Derek.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Derek

yes you are right
    there is a time and place for getting tyres to sing and on a nice bit of road i can't think of anything better
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

nJm
    pugrambo:
    i dunno about it not bieng a cultural phenomenon as it seems no matter what american movie i see and no matter what car they are driving in american movies the tyres have to screech
    Yeah, what is it with every police car in an american movie doing handbrake turns when coming to a stop, or drifting around corners? Do they really drive like that over there???
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Has anyone else noticed how in American movies, tyres schreech on dirt and of course on wet roads.
    I will admit to hearing tyre scheeching on speedway tracks toward the end of the night after lots of rubber is laid down. But not under any other circumstances.
    cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Damian,

Maybe the American cars have so little traction that all they can do is screech their tyres.
    Whilst competing on a rally a few years ago cars leaving the start line up a slight hill the more powerful cars were leaving rubber for quite a distance in first and second gear and the tyres were screeching.

Alan

I thoought that the glazed concrete floors in places like carparks and car dealerships just made screechy noise anyway even in volvo driving
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Thread Information