Worst cars ever driven
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Worst cars ever driven

This is hard. There's a lot to choose from.

1. VN commodore The steering wheel shook 1.5 cm up and down in sympathy with the engine vibration on acceleration.

2. Any big Ford up to mid 90's. All vile. Especially the mid 80's ones with the sneeze and you hit a tree, ultra-light power steering. Outright dangerous.

3. Tie: Volvo 760 It drives like it looks. with Alfa 90, series 1. Digital dash, twin plate clutch, rear transaxle(and it felt like it). This car stank.

4. Rover SD1 The demise of the British auto industry.

5. Honda mid 80's prelude sponge cake.

6. Add the same vintage celica. The archetypal hairdressers car ( not the brilliant 86-91 version, which I think is a recent classic).

7. Alfa 75 V6 auto. Noisy slow ugly oil-leaky disaster. Driving it was like swimming in cow-poo.

8. Tie: Indonesian Super Kijang people mover with Lotus Elise GT3 (playstation)standard car.

9. Ferrari 400 auto. The novelty wore off by the time you left the kerb. Ugly. Slow. Nasty.

Advertisement

10. Lada Samara (Brock edition). This car had tweaks by the recently de-polarised Maestro(who was obviously short of a dollar). A tad soggy and sloppy in the body.

Not the 120Y. I found it endearing in an incompetent kind of way. I have not included any American cars here because reliable witnesses know 80's Yank cars are without any redeeming features at all. These are the worst cars ever made, besides Eastern block vehicles, to which normal criteria don't apply.(except the Lada above, which I drove)
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

VIP Sponsor
    The VN Commodore had the redeeming features of heaps of go and very good fuel economy, and the one that I had use of didn't vibrate too badly. The steering had a strange feel but was extremely direct once away from centre.
    The VS Ecotech was almost as fast but then of course the VT came along with extra weight and Holden are now looking at a new engine some time in the next year or two.

I drove a 760 Turbo and I must say that the ride was the most absorbent of any car that I have driven, quite magnificent, and not TOO soggy.

Why people bought Ladas, Nikis, Skodas beats me, the zero resale made them extremely expensive in the medium term (no long term possible, they wore out in no time)

Graham Wallis

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

this is to easy, of modern/new cars, well I spent a year one afternoon driving a Hyundi Excel to Melbourne & back, the physical damage has healed, the emotional damage will take longer mallet mallet roll_lau roll_lau

It hasn't even done 30,000km yet, automatic slushbox, bloody awful seats, no suspension, no handling, no power steering, it's seriously YUK mallet mallet Never again will I be conned into driving the chunk of sh!+

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The worst car I have ever driven would have to be a late model 3 litre Magna wagon.....they really suck!

I had one for work for 12 months did 40,000.....the worst 40,000 of my life!!!

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

In more poverty stricken times I drove a Niki.

To save on manufacturing costs all nuts and bolts were made from lead, or so it seemed. Headlights were absolutely useless in the dark at anything over 40km/h. Unassisted drum brakes were frighteneing in their inability to stop the car from above 60km/h. The paint had been applied by Polish peasants armed with worn out toothbrushes. 130km/h top speed. Turned left hand corners like a Ferrari, right hand ones like a EH holden. Used a double HT outlet on he ignition coil so the spark plugs (2 off only) were fired everytime the piston was at the top of each stroke. As a result it backfired like buggery on long down hill runs (I fixed this by putting a proper Fiat 500 dizzy on it eventually). Fuel float in the tank used to fill with fuel and sink. The heater never worked but the tunnel between the seats got bloody hot.

BUT... for 3 grand I got a car with <5000km on the the clock that did 50+mpg that did what I needed it to do at the time and really made no pretence of being anything but cheap and nasty. If you couldn't see them for what they were, go buy a Toyota, just as crap but a no brainer at least.

Cheers
    citroen_ AXGT
    citroen_ Xsara 1.8 16V

nJm
    Well being an L plater I haven't driven many cars. I think my list extends to: My Peugeot 505, my parents mid 90s Magna SE V6 (live rear axle), Subaru Outback, Honda CRX, early 80s Ford Laser auto (yuk!) and a 1985 Range Rover Highline.

Out of those, I would have to say the worst are:

1. 1985 Range Rover. The engine was gutless, the steering heavy and brakes pathetic. Add to that the interior that was falling to bits around you and it was easy to see why most of these things live in the country and not the city. I didn't drive it off road though, but I'm sure it would excel in that sort of driving.

2. 1983 ford laser 3spd auto. I'm sure when new these things were great, but by the time I got to it the thing was full of rust and down right scary driving it at 100 (only drove it in the country). Brought a new meaning to slow.

3. 1994 Magna SE V6. The engine is quite nice, although a 'simple' 12v sohc 3L it sounds nice and when run on Optimax has quite a bit of usable torque. Likes to rev. Run on regular unleaded and it feels quite lethargic. The steering is what really makes this car horrible. It is extremely light, very vague and indirect and has the widest turning circle ever! To plod around town it is fine, quite a relaxed experience - however as I drove it quite a bit on interesting roads out near the yarra valley before I bought the pug, I learned that you can not feel the limits of the car. The steering is dead, the only indication you get of having gone into a corner too quickly was the sudden understeer. Lift off the loud pedal and the tail would get all light and on occasion swing out. Definately not a sure footed car. Mind you, at the time it had horrible Dunlop Monza 200's on it.

Last year in tassie dad rented a Hyundai Accent, and naturally I didn't drive it, however as a passenger I could certainly feel how unsuited it was to freeway driving. It felt incredibly unstable when going through a gentle corner over a crest or any other gently yet large bumps. Dad thinks at one stage we got the tail off the ground for a second or two. The brakes started to smell when braking from 100. However it was a nice little car around in the cities and the engine was pretty pokey for a 1.5 (i think that is what it was).

I'm looking forward to driving a lot more cars once I have my license, so give me a few weeks to get back to you
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

UFO
    What about the last of the Toyota Coronas? Drove one of them (4 speeder at that) from Dubbo to Goulburn and back once. ergh! It was bloody awful. Handled like a stoned camel on ice skates (like that analogy?) Had an awful engine drone at highway speeds to lull you to sleep etc etc.

Also ranking hi in these scores would be the last of the aussie Nissan Bluebirds (auto esp) an XC Falcon and a diesel series one Volkswagen Golf (admittedly around town in Sydney).

I could go on for hours, but I must go and do some work on the DS!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Here's mine:

1. BMW 3-series compact (96 model): Had it as a loan car while my father's car was being repaired. Stingy, totally gutless and awful handling - every corner became an exciting adventure in car control. BMW really dropped the soap on this one.

2. Ford Falcon (EA and AUII): The EA was a loan car while my car was being repaired - need I say more?

The AUII wagon was a company car. Crude, fuel guzzling 4L engine (you can see the fuel gauge move!!!), live rear axle with leaf springs and lousy handling. You'd think the redeeming feature would be it's load carry capacity? Well, you'd be wrong because the boot floor was so high that the potential load capacity was wasted so you had a 5m long car but with a small carrying capacity. Of course I can't forget the awful looks. The only redeeming feature of this car is an awesome air-con system.

What Ford needs is a Peugeot 504 to teach their engineers on how to make a proper handling car.

3. Lard Rover Freelander: Crappy build quality, shit handling, cheap and nasty interior and S-L-O-W Steptronic gearbox. How can they get away with it?

4. Toyota Echo: This is a dangerous car. The pillars are so thick that there are significant blind spots. Every crossing line has to be approached carefully and I have to lean over at tight corners. The brakes fade VERY quickly.

5. Holden Torana: Shit. Do they put brakes on this car?
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

The worst car I have ever driven was a hired Toyota Camry.
    It was very boring and too big for its small engine.
    Interior poor(no character). The next one would have to be a Suzuki swift GA. Plastic Matting on the floor and I think it was an automatic 1.0.
    It totally sucked.
    My Renault 12 auto was better than both these cars. :p

rek
    UFO:
    What about the last of the Toyota Coronas? Drove one of them (4 speeder at that) from Dubbo to Goulburn and back once. ergh! It was bloody awful. Handled like a stoned camel on ice skates (like that analogy?) Had an awful engine drone at highway speeds to lull you to sleep etc etc.
    Hey! I had one of those as my first car! (and I agree with everything you say :p )

You think a 4-speed manual was bad, mine was a 3-speed automatic. Horrible thing. As for the engine at freeway speeds, I've heard heavy industrial equipment that was quieter and more pleasing to the ear tongue
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I think it's fairly safe to say _any_ corona is crap......with the exception of perhaps the very first ones, at least compared to their competition of the day.

Danielsydney,

Camrys are dull and boring etc etc, but i certainly haven't driven one that couldn't blow a 12 auto (or 19 for that matter) into the weeds in a straight line (while using half the fuel probably).....they all have considerably better brakes than a 12....regardless of whether they were 4cyl 6cyl manual or auto.
    They suck and are totally average/uninspiring....but "bad" in the niki/lada sense?....i don't think so.

Warwick2,

Being somewhat familar with Alfa 90s....i can say they have more than their fair share of problems.

I'm not sure the "transaxle" is one of them unless it's being suggested that every RWD alfa since the early 70s has the same problem
    Clunky slow gearshift, de dion rear end, rear mounted gearbox = very near 50/50 weight distribution
    Surely that would be one the 90s few saving graces?, or are we just talking about the 90s crappy tall gear ratios?
    ________
    How Mflb Works
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:28 AM.

1000+ Posts
    1. XD Falcon.
    2. XF Falcon.

Have you driven a Ford....lately?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

VIP Sponsor
    The Ford motor company in Geelong has a group of Peugeot enthusiasts working as engineers. They have told me that many Peugeots have been evaluated, just a bit hard to get the ideas through management.
    With the BA things have changed and the engineers were given a free hand, the result being a vastly improved car, the rear suspension was based on the 406s. Trouble is it is too big and heavy for my likings, regardless of how good it is.
    The last Corona had a great peforming engine, the noise didn't bother me, but handling and seats were unbelievably bad. I drove a work car to Mt Tassie, south of Traralgon, a great road, and forgot about my intentions to enjoy the drive after the first corner, backed right off in order to arrive alive.
    A rear wheel drive Corolla (last model) was brilliant in low speed corners (Queenstown to Strahan in Tas) but unstable and dangerous above 80 km/h.
    I really enjoyed the Echo I drove recently, I didn't notice a blind spot and the handling for me was the best front wheel drive yet.
    The fact that a Niki went for $3000 with only 5000 km on the clock backs up what I said about them being a very expensive car for those that bought them new. $5000 for 5000Km is not cheap motoring!

Graham Wallis

GRAHAM WALLIS:

I really enjoyed the Echo I drove recently, I didn't notice a blind spot and the handling for me was the best front wheel drive yet.
    I work for the same company as Bill and drive the same Toyota Echo company cars in my part time job as a courier. Waht Bill says is true. Our company has had alot of trouble with crashes in these cars due to the blind spots.

They handle better at speed than the Ford Festivas we had before, but the Festivas had much better visibility and space (necessary for my run where I caryy alot of Eskies).

The steering on the Echo has quite good feel considering it's a tad too light, and the handling is quite good once you get used to the feel of the car. The engine is the best aspect, though, because they have heaps of grunt down low for such a small engine driving an auotmatic box, and they get excellent economy (a well sorted, real world usable, variable valve timing system).

The worst car I've driven would have to be a XD Falcon. The power assisted steering was totally devoid of feel, compouded by the fact that the car was so wide (it's a wonder I didn't scrape anything).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

The worst car I have driven would have been the Ford Telstar Ghia (Mazda 626). It had absolutely nothing going for it. Hootin' down the road from Kiandra to Corryong via Cabramurra showed it's true colours. The suspension had about 75mm travel and any slight bump in the roads was felt as a rather disconcerting thump through the car. The fact it was front wheel dive didn't help. It has been relegated to the parts bin. Suckers!

I took the 504 up Damms Rd today which is a short (8km) stretch of road between Tawonga (just after Ryder's Bridge over the Kiewa) and Mt Beauty, it corners flatly and is predictable although under powered. My wife suggested I slow down a couple of times but soon settled in! I gave it heaps on the way back. Bloody good piece of road but too short. The Tawonga caravan park is worth a look.

Cheers,

Ralph.

The caravan park is worth a visit a_drink a_drink
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

hmmm something to get my teeth into...

1. my jeep....a total pile of shiteee(but like i said in one of the earlier posts I GOT IT CHEAP)
    2.vn commodores and same vintage falcons...pile of crap....most of us guys on this forum could have done better (yes i have respect for engeneers but not for sluts)
    3.all early toyotas,,,and i mean all...the 90s cressida was really nice though ...big mistake getting rid of it but camry was more important...in regards to the CORONA...ughhhh
    4.fiat regata...not a bad car except not designed to cope with australian sun...electronics were designed and built by somebody who had no idea about designing and building automotive electrics...(ps that probably applies to my 205 as well)while on fiat the 130 coupe is one of my favourites...
    5.80s alfas (not including the sensational v6 engine)...crap cars. (full stop)
    6.70s beemers...crap cars...exclude csl
    7.70s transams...why not get yourself a HQ..it handled just as well...(actually better include all american cars up to 90s)maybe exclude some mustangs and rays...(style goes a long way )
    8.80s laser /mazda...in auto form...should really be number one...what a pile of crap...
    9.i just cannot go on ..there is to many...

ps ...On the torana....i think thats one of the best aussie cars (not talking 4 cyl.opel version)ever....hell i would not mind an a9x anytime...one of my best would be the volvo 240 series...so many shit things about it but what a great car....

Well I wouldn't argue with any of the comments here.

But I do remember when the Department of Mines that I worked for in the 1970s "acquired" a two door automatic, 4 cyl. Morris Marina. It must have been close to the worst thing I ever drove - just the wind noise at 60 kph was enough (quarter panes didn't fit!).

We also had Valiant wagons, which drummed on dirt roads to the pain level and, then, getting them started at all...... They were truly awful cars.

Has anyone measured the amount of sideways movement of the steering column on a SAAB convertable on a rough road? They're not too flash either!

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The worst car I would have ever driven would have been a late model (1983/1984?) Mitsubishi Sigma 2.6L with auto. Not only was it gutless, but it also drove like a barge. The steering would weigh up badly towards full lock, and had a vague feel about it on the road.

Others.... Early 70's Corolla with 2 speed auto transmission. It was sturdy enough but was it slow!. It didn't so much need an accelerator pedal, but rather a floor switch to open the throttle to full because that is how you had to drive it, with the foot to the floor all the time.

Mark 2 Ford Escort with 1.6L Kent motor, and it's Holden competitor, the Gemini. Both were solid enough cars, but totally uninspiring cars to drive.

Troy.

I'm now over 40 and the dementia must be setting in, how else could I forget JEEP, Corona and V6 magna.
    Dtwo: yes the gear ratio's were something special about the Alfa 90. I found some cars had gearchanges which were ok, some were shockers. And the clutches were always crook. But there was also head gaskets (some from day one), cam tensioner seals, gearbox synchro's and dodgy tailshaft donuts. As well as a dash that would warp in the sun. The series two cars were better to drive, but they still had the problems. The world record was 11 sets of head gaskets, by a Mister Syd Barnett of Melbourne. They never replaced his motor under warranty.
    Jeeps. I look for confirmation here. From my observations, and others in the motor trade, The CHerokee introduced in the mid 90's appeared to have a JULY 77 build plate under the bonnet. The gossip was that these were RHD chassis cars that sat in a giant hangar somewhere, probably in the desert next to the B52's, that when the time was right had EFI whacked on them (and other stuff)and were sold as new cars to third world Oz. Under the bonnet of these cars was what appears to be a build plate, that was painted over in body color, perhaps to make it hard to read. Certainly looked like this was the case. If this was a build plate, they all read 1977! Can anyone confirm this?
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

No one has mentioned the Datsun 200B " Australia's First Four Cylinder Limousine". What a total pile of crap. 20 more mistakes than the 180B in my opinion. roll_lau
    Cheers
    Ken

I've driven a fair share of cars in my time (many that have been mentioned), but I find it hard to give a "worst" comment on, as I think each car had it's merits for it's main use. We had XE, XF, ED Falcon Wagons, and my hire car of choice is an AU or now a BA Falcon. This might change to a Focus, if Hertz replace that size car with it.

Notable cars that put me to sleep:

- VW Bora 2.0 Auto...Bora Boring. Agricultural engine with a box that just doesn't want to help.

- Toyota Camry...again, a yawn, but it's supposed to be a yawn. I thoroughly killed one of these as a hire car down the Great Ocean Road...really messed up that front end. It just couldn't handle being thrown around that aggresively. But, it was incredibly predictable, and was quite enjoyable through medium sweepers. Also had a habit of putting me to sleep, I really struggled to stay awake on the drive from Melbourne up to Ballarat.

- Ford Festiva - tinny, and ummm...really tinny. considering this is a 121 under it, it is suprisingly weak. The 121 is a great car, for what it is, but the Festi was a bit behind it's time. Not to mention it's very long life cycle.

That's all I can think of. Every other car I've driven has been adequate for it's main use. a_drink
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Warwick2:
    If this was a build plate, they all read 1977! Can anyone confirm this?
    I can confidently say this isn't true, since the "new small Cherokee" wasn't released until about 1982. It was the talk of the 4WD world in the early 80s, due to it's monocoque construction, coil sprung live front axle, and relatively compact size (for the time).

As for a few people's comments on Ford Festivas, apart from the seat belt buckles which often didn't engage properly (scary!!) and the poor freeway handling (probably due to the dodgy tyres), in many ways I enjoyed driving them more than the Echos we now have at work. Atleast the Echo has better tyres and seatbelts (thank goodness!).

More than likely the difference between driving a 121 and a Festiva is purely in the tyres fitted to them (build quality not withstanding).

I wasn't too impressed with one of the Toyota Starlets I drove at work, although the engine was great (seems to be a thing with Toyotas).

I don't like driving my Grandmother's 1992 Charade with it's horribly light and lifeless power steering and bumpy ride. It makes the Festivas feel excellent.

Dave

<small>[ 16 December 2002, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

1000+ Posts
    GRAHAM WALLIS:
    With the BA things have changed and the engineers were given a free hand, the result being a vastly improved car, the rear suspension was based on the 406s. Graham Wallis
    Hey Graham, isn't this the one with the 'control blade' suspension? If so, this is taken from the Focus isn't it? Or are only some Falcon's getting this? I don't know - I don't follow Falcon development much

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Mondeo and Focus use control blade.

I had a 1991 Charade, without power steering and loved it. 1L 3 cyl, 3 speed auto with AC...hehe...was so slow with a few people on board and that AC on...hehe.

Yes, some better tyres would improve the Festiva, but it just doesn't feel as nice as a 121 bubble.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

What about Froggy Dogs and Lemons?

I'd have to dump on the 21 and 19 in their Ozzie incarnations as lumps of rancid yoghurt.

cheers!
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information