Weddings
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Weddings

Fellow Frogger!

Weddings

I couldn't believe it when I read that the average American wedding costs $35,000. I had heard on a talk radio show of average people in this area (near NYC) spending $75,000 for a wedding but thought it was gross exaggeration until I read that the average American wedding is $35,000.

What would you say the average Australian wedding costs? What surprised me also is that one of the biggest costs is photography, and once you hire a professional photographer he owns all rights to your photos, so if you want copies you have to pay him each time.

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    what you do is tell your future bride to be barefoot on a beach and then have the reception at the local pub with counter lunches
    even better if you time it right for happy hour drinks
    to soften the blow for her tell her that you are willing to buy a new pair of thongs and shorts for the special day
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

UFO
    Don't forget the cost of the shotgun cartridges! eek!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I think weddings suck. Woman get too hyped up about weddings and getting married. And "the best day of my life" shite.
    If a woman really cared for a guy she wouldnt want all that crap.
    Someone told me that a good wedding in Australia cost $AUD35,000.
    That is about $AUD34,000 too much. I prefer natural and back to basics. whip

Yeah...those friggin wedding photographers. What a rip off. I could do better with a 'Happy Snap'. moon
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Brad:
    Yeah...those friggin wedding photographers. What a rip off. I could do better with a 'Happy Snap'. moon
    just get all the punters at the pub to take photos for you
    or
    when you send out the invites for the wedding put a note on there stating that all must bring a camera and take pics and go through them at a later date to sort out which ones you want
    hell you are paying for them to eat and drink at the pub so the least they can do is take photos and get them developed
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'm getting married on Novemeber 21st and its costing us approx $15,000.

And it wasn't here that wanted it. It was me.

I'm just an old sentimental kinda' guy.

On the wedding photographer bit, we looked at a few and quite honestly some of them are crap. Take awful shots. One guy had EVERY shot taken on an angle. I'm all for having some arty type photos but every shot......

And the latest trend is to have disposable cameras on all the tables at the reception and get the guests to take shots of whatever they want. At a wedding I went to a couple of months ago one lady took the camera with her to the Ladies and.....well.....who knows what she took a photo of??? roll_lau moon

Darren

UFO
    Mrs UFO and I got hitched on the back deck of our (then) house and had 80 guests. We did the whole thing including food, drinks, rings, our clothes, celebrant etc etc for less than $2500.

To us it was a big party with a wedding at the start. dance Lots of friends still comment that it was one of the most relaxed weddings they have been to.

Some of the Multi-Culti weddings in Wollongong have 100s on the guest list and are reputed to cost around $50k. Mind you in some of those cultures it is traditional for the guests to give the B&G cash instead of gifts. Local legend has it that some couples have left their wedding with enough cash to buy their first house - whether that is deposit or the whole cost is not clear. Still, not a bad start.

There are wedding reception places here too that will not even consider quoting for a wedding for less than 350 guests!!! eek!

Of course you add the word Wedding to anything and the price immediately doubles. If you called it a conference or something you would probably get it for a far more reasonable cost. Venues prey on the fact that Daddy has a soft spot for his daughter/s and will just hand over cash willy nilly to make her happy. Of course, Mum provides all the emotional encouragement needed too - they seem to like to think it is THEIR wedding.

The other thing that I have seen happen so much is the importance of having things done "before the wedding". Like finishing the house painting that you were going to do 10 years ago, spaying the dog, waxing the cat, polishing the dipstick of the car.................

STUPID! dead
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Cal
    Brad:
    Unless of course you utilise the services of Calum Ballinger Photography. Thanks Brad, for the opportunity to give my business a shameless plug. I'll even give you an Aussiefrogs discount.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Fellow Frogger!
    UFO:
    Mind you in some of those cultures it is traditional for the guests to give the B&G cash instead of gifts. Local legend has it that some couples have left their wedding with enough cash to buy their first house - whether that is deposit or the whole cost is not clear. Still, not a bad start.
    yeah vietnamese and chinese weddings are like that, people give the b&g money. But the money from guests covers the reception and maybe a little extra. The big $$ comes from rellos... and yes some families are very well off as you can imagine. I know of people who had enough money to pay off all wedding costs and buy their first house. Unfortunately i'm not going to be in that situation when i get married, thats why i plan on kicking my parents out of their house mallet

Fellow Frogger!
    UFO:

Some of the Multi-Culti weddings in Wollongong have 100s on the guest list and are reputed to cost around $50k.
    Yes, I know a true story that one wedding had so many guests that, as it was buffet dinner, by the time the first batch of people finished eating, talking, were tired and leaving, the last batch of people in the queue were still getting their first serve of food, 3 hours after dinner started.

UFO:

Local legend has it that some couples have left their wedding with enough cash to buy their first house -
    </strong>
    That's what I need to get a house in today's highly inflated, over-priced market!!!

SW
    How about if you wind both windows down in your car, drive head on into a fixed speed camera, both of you hang out the windows and smile. Depending on your speed (recommend < 15km/hr over), you should have a nice professionally developed photo back within a few weeks - it will only cost around $160 - no copyright - take as many copies as you like - how can you go wrong.

Seriously, the boss will have the final say but I'm all for a simple garden wedding with close family, 2 friends each by a lake in a reception place - under $2,500 easy - move on - but a house instead.

Weddings can cause the cattist of fights amongst women and men - "why wasnt I matron of honour?", "why wanst i invited?" - life long tiffs are made.

Keep it simple and tell no-one.
    My two bobs worth

Scott

Ok... ill let you know of how the rich kids get married. We get lots of big money receptions at the Hotel.
    One that comes to mind was a young italian bloke( big wealthy family) hooking up with a nice rich Honkonese chick.
    They booked 10 strech limos (mostly 7 series beemers and an old Jag for them) and x5 48 seater buses to deliver all from the church to the hotel for the reception.
    In the lobby they had a 5 piece orchestra and a lobby MC and a ballroom MC.
    They had all the usual deco' and seated 800! people.... They had a pro photographer and a video guy too.
    They had x2 translators working in the crowds helping the Cantonese speak to the italians and vice versa. Every speechgiven by the couple was pre-planned and was said in English but, there was pre-translated speech cards on each desk!!
    Gifts were from nice to silly. One honky uncle apparantly gave them a very small envelope, it had a key inside, to a holiday house in cairns!
    It finished expectadly late and some of us enployees got big cash tips from multiple drunk family members...lol! - chris

ps i only know the cost of the ballroom hire and that was $25,000 just to use it 1 night. no extras, they cost.
    ... ptui!

i still reckon on the beach with a celebrant and pub counter lunch (normally 12-2pm) and happy hour drinks (which are normally around 2-3pm) is the way to go
    sounds cheap but hey it's one that people would remember
    and you could just party on into the night at the pub and then consumate the wedding on the said beach
    time it right and you may just be able to fit in a round of the touring cars or any other good race on the calender

i do have a mate that timed his wedding right and on his 2nd day of the honeymoon he sat and watched the bathurst 1000 while his new wife went shopping and when she got back fed him beer for the rest of the day
    before they changed the date for the race he reckoned he never ever forgot his wedding anniversary
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts
    My sister was married in November last year at a cost of $35,000. 275 guests, her husband is Italian

Glorious waste of money if you ask me...

My eldest brother was married in Febuary this year at a cost of $25,000, with 250 guests, of which the reception cost $17,000 or so.

Each to their own I guess..
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

Thread Information