Motor Racing
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Motor Racing

Fellow Frogger!

Motor Racing

What's the best place in Australia to observe amateur drivers (club racers)? I'd like to see some good driving.

Advertisement

I read another post about tracks in Europe and I have to say, I've been to Goodwood, Oulton, Nurburgring, Spa, etc and I was EXTREMELY disappointed by the level of driving there. Of course,I don't race myself, but I was just so disappointed that there were so many accidents, track closures, and so many drivers who just clearly had lots of money but no skills.

UFO
    Easy!

QUEENSLAND!!!! evil tongue mallet whip moon roll_lau
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Depends on when you'll be here, but there's always plenty on the racing calender all over the country.

Here's a starting point if you like 'em big 'n noisy & belooooooody quick. :p

<a href="http://www.v8supercars.com.au/" target="_blank">http://www.v8supercars.com.au/</a>

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Cal
    Go and watch a kart race at any track.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

V8 Supercars are most definately NOT Amateur drivers. You'd be more likely to find what you want, at a club sprint event or Hill climb. The Circuits available in Victoria are Winton Raceway, near Benalla and Phillip Island Raceway, for sprints. With Rob Roy, at Christmas Hills and Gippsland Park at Morwell for Hill climbs.
    Perhaps some others from the other States, can help withs other available venues. There is motor sport at club level, available for most diciplines, most weekends of the year.
    cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

UFO
    UFO:
    Easy!

QUEENSLAND!!!! evil tongue mallet whip moon roll_lau
    Sorry, I just saw "amateur driver" and that was it tongue
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

You won't be wanting to go to Queensland Raceway... hopeless for watching out for skill and ability. Lakeside was fantastic for it, but it's gone... so Queensland only has Morgan Park to offer these days.

New South Wales has, predominantly, Wakefield Park and Eastern Creek. Wakefield is very 'country' and has the lesser level meetings, but lots of sprints etc still happen at the bigger and more lavish (and nearer the city) Eastern Creek.

Oran Park is a bit of a mixture, but there is a lot happening there. Bathurst for teh 24-hour race will get you lots of viewing pleasure... night and day.

In Thicktoria, as mentioned, Winton and Phillip Island are good for watching the daring outwit the faint of heart. Calder has little to offer, but Sandown Park has some moments if you can get to the right vantage points.

Wanneroo Park in Western Australia has some of the Lakeside qualities about it, but not many drivers of great ability to make it show up as such... Mallala is a bit ordinary and slow, but for club stuff it's fine.

I understand the other South Australian circuit, Adelaide International Raceway, is about to get a revamp and reopen... but it's all a bit distant there, and not the brightest for the spectating.

Why not just go to Sufers Paradise & watch the Victorian Tourists looking everywhere but where they're going, doing either 15KPH in the right lane or 15KPH over the limit in the parking lanes weaving through the traffic?
    When it comes to death defying excitement they don't come much bigger.
    There's even a bit of humour thrown in when they run over someone or into a tree or a parked car & when they go into a song & dance act about how the locals want to learn to drive and need to learn which hand is their right one; that's usually after they just had their right hand door stoved in at a Give way sign. roll_lau roll_lau
    Used to be a driving instructor there; seen & heard it many times. Real good value providing you stay alert; they tend to drive in small groups and for a reason; That way while you're watching one, another can ram you while you're off guard. mallet dance

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Cal
    Ray Bell:
    Lakeside was fantastic for it, but it's gone....
    Ahhh Ray, yee of little faith. I live in hope that we will see Australia's finest circuit shine again. wink

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Winton (in victoria) is good for spectators..
    I'd go when they have the Winton classic & Historic on...
    watch out for the motorbikes with sidecars....those foolish young men in their old bangers!!!!
    classic!...bit far from Melb but you can see most of the action and walk around the pits....
    Cheers
    Andrew cheers! citroen_
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

I prefer Wakefield park as you can see the WHOLE track from just about ANY point. Its tight and keeps most cars on an even par.
    I love watching practice days as you get plenty of variety, F4000's, GTP's, road going cars, Formula fords etc.
    Its also cheap and VERY accesible, if you decide to have a go yourself... rental X5's (miata) make decent fun track stars, but i didn't say that. -chris
    ... ptui!

Ray,
    If you haven't already heard. The Save Lakeside Raceway group successfully lobbied to have Lakeside heritage listed.
    The heritage listing ensures that the site can not be re-developed for another bloody housing estate in Kurwongbah, and still leaves scope for track upgrades.
    Hope still remains that we may yet again put our lives in peril avoiding the tire wall through the Carousel or spin off horribly on the in-field through Hungry corner.

In Tasmania, Baskerville Raceway near Hobart sometimes has good stuff on. If you want to see some nice action, come to Tassie when Targa Tasmania is on. You will see it all there, from professional racing drivers to idiots with more dollars than sense.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information