• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pug307

Thread: 307 XSE Auto 2 litre advice

Tadpole

307 XSE Auto 2 litre advice

Hi there,

I love the look of the 307 and drive (though a little hard) and am considering one for my wife. What should I know GOOD and BAD about them?

Any advide on problems, positives, price in NSW now would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steven

Advertisement

There are a few people on here i think that have them so im sure youll get plenty of advice.. wink

rek
    Pug307 has a comprehensive web site with everything 307-related, both good and bad..

<a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/skystar/peugeot307/" target="_blank">http://users.bigpond.net.au/skystar/peugeot307/</a>

Just don't ask about indicator stalks wink
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Actually,

We have a poll going on the mailing list People with behaving stalks are certainly in the minority.

Spoke to my dealer yesterday and yeah, they're still replacing stalks all the time.

I realise why they cost a bomb now. The person who designed it was a real bozo and had to integrate so many functions. You think you'd just replace the stalk, but no, you replace quite a bit more than that!

So if your indicator stalk goes, remember, you may as well bust the other one while you're at it!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC
    Pug307:
    Spoke to my dealer yesterday and yeah, they're still replacing stalks all the time.
    Built-in money maker after the warranty runs out

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

For sure thats how they make their cash out of us.... evil evil

Fellow Frogger!
    hi guys,i changed a stalk assy on a 206 gti 02 spec,nearly fell over,its called a com 2000,priced at nearly 800.00 bucks.the owner nearly had a heart attack.so dont thump it when you get road rage itll cost you a bomb. eek!

*hugs his 306 again*

No seriously the 307 represents fantastic value for money and is an exceptionally competant car in the broader scale of things. It really is the forefront of value, safety, room and a whole lot of other factors for cars in it's category.

Of course, this is reflected in how popular they are at the moment, in Eastern Sydney there are quite a lot of them buzzing about.

My only gripe is that when you get out of a 306 and into a 307, there is a distinct feeling of disappointment as far as driving pleasure goes. By saying that, I am by no means saying it is a bad thing to drive, but they didn't take the ball and run with it like they should have.

If you are going to buy it for the wife, I honestly couldn't think of a better car in that market (except for a Volvo S70, which is just the best car evar).

XTC206:
    Pug307:
    Built-in money maker after the warranty runs out

XTC206
    Did you find out what the retail cost is?

I've noticed the Peugeot parts warranty is quite cunning. According to <a href="http://www.peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au/me.get?SITE.sitesections.show&FFFF371" target="_blank">this page</a>, parts replaced under warranty are only covered for the balance of the warranty. So if you have one replaced 1 month before warranty is up - that's all the warranty you get! Only parts for which you have contributed to the cost have a 12 month warranty - and when would you contribute to the cost of repairs under warranty? eek!

Thank goodness for the Trade Practises Act 1974 Customer goodwill ought to negate the need for that though.

Ugh, they can't spell safety in the Australian service manual frown

<small>[ 03 July 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>
    Stancikas0 likes this.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

macquered:
    If you are going to buy it for the wife, I honestly couldn't think of a better car in that market (except for a Volvo S70, which is just the best car evar).
    Hahah

Even I've never said that wink

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Pug307:
    I've noticed the Peugeot parts warranty is quite cunning. According to <a href="http://www.peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au/me.get?SITE.sitesections.show&FFFF371" target="_blank">this page</a>, parts replaced under warranty are only covered for the balance of the warranty. So if you have one replaced 1 month before warranty is up - that's all the warranty you get! Only parts for which you have contributed to the cost have a 12 month warranty - and when would you contribute to the cost of repairs under warranty?
    Justin,
    The issue you have raised appears to me to be the norm. Any product I have ever retailed... if there's a fault which is rectified/requires replacement of a part etc the warranty is only the remainder of the warranty from the original purchase date. Mind you, if something did go wrong just outside the warranty period, most manufacturers would honour it and fix it again for the good will

If a customer has to pay for a new part, they do get a full new warranty on that part, but it is usually a shorter one (12 mths for example).

Derek

XTC
    DeKa:
    The issue you have raised appears to me to be the norm. Any product I have ever retailed... if there's a fault which is rectified/requires replacement of a part etc the warranty is only the remainder of the warranty from the original purchase date.
    That's what they say, but Justin's right the TPA is your friend in this case ... otherwise there is nothing stopping them putting in a failing unit at the 11th hour knowing you'll be back soon (out of warranty) for the nice juicy payoff !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Absolutely!

TPA S.71, S.74D, my good friends If a new COM2000 was installed just before warranty ended and then went bust again shortly after - I couldn't care less if Peugeot didn't cover it under their warranty. They'd have pretty much no real defence if you actioned under unmerchantable quality - the sheer regularity of COM2000 problems makes this hardly a freak occurrence. Having said that, I don't think you'd get into that situation, as I've heard they've traditionally been quite good with goodwill gestures and I've found that to be the case so far

I have to say, I've paid more attention to what it said in the Peugeot warranty after what I went through though Any sane person would!

People really should know their legal rights in regards to products. It's a pity the vast majority of people here are totally ignorant to consumer protections in legislation. Sure it sounds harsh, but it's true - I know, once upon a time, I was in that boat wink

The TPA can really be your friend as a consumer The ACCC really should educate people more about their rights.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Justin,

S71(1): merchantable quality the goods will be of merchantable quality unless the consumer is aware of the defects

S71(2): fitness for purpose an implied condition the goods will be fit for their intended purpose, that the consumer has expressly made known to the seller.

If in Victoria, you could also try for the Goods Act (other states have similar acts, not sure of the details but they suggest the same things)

s.19(a) an implied condition that the goods are fit for the purpose
    s.19(b) an implied condition that the goods will be of merchantable quality

Within reason, if you bought a car, and say, a year after the warranty expired, it shot a few pistons through the block, chucked a diff, or smashed a gearbox, you'd probably still be successful in a claim against the manufacturer for replacement under the merchantable quality and fitness for purpose clauses. If it is reasonable to expect something to last longer, and the purpose the object in question has been expressly made known to the seller, then you'd be in the clear.

Probably wouldn't bother with fitness of purpose in these situations.

Merchantable quality is sufficient. We had a case of a 306 with a rusting engine on Aussiefrogs before - a simple example.

TPA is easy as I'd meet the S.4B consumer definition and I dealt with a corporation As you said, there are the Goods Act & Fair Trading Acts.

For its flaws, the TPA is a certainly a good thing to have. Businesses could get away with so much crap before its introduction.

I wonder, in a few years, will you see a mass recall of COM2000s?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

So many people don't realise that a warranty means absolutely nothing. Under the TPA/GA/FTAs if something is unreasonable then you'll probably be successful in a claim.

I'd hate to know how many people suffer a major problem with their cars a few months out of warranty, and believe the dealer when they claim there is nothing they can do about it.

Chandler

That's right.

It's no wonder that the TPA makes it a criminal act to tell customers that they have no rights in certain areas - eg. no refunds is total crap. It's actually a criminal act to actually have a sign saying that (good ol S.75AZC, what a section name ). Most people would actually believe such a sign.

In regards to serious sagas after the warranty's expired, <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001123" target="_blank">this thread</a> is a perfect example. If the dealer's been useless, there's no point being namby pamby about it - the threat of legal action should get them off their rear end, because their legal advisors would probably tell them they're liable. Plus you also have Div 2A to take action against the importer ("manufacturer").

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information