405 Mi16 versus alfa 156
  • Register
  • Help

405 Mi16 versus alfa 156

When I was selling them, I drove 156's for 3 years or so, and now I am not I am driving the old 405 of my own which is surprisingly not much of a come down from the 156. The 156 I hasten to add is as good as anything out there in its price range. A very good car

405 mi16. Better visibility, greater space efficiency;better boot, better legroom(in back); better air-con, flatter handling, similar ride, similar power to weight ratio and similar size. Better seats

Alfa 156 . quieter and nicer exhaust noise, bit more grip(not much), more body roll, build quality/more solidity, modern looking (less edges to catch your fingertips on when you wash it), slightly more economical, taller, air-bags, ABS, faster steering, more satisfying gearchange/clutch operation. Can't think of much more really. Except you can get the 156 in the Selespeed which I see as the best thing to come along in recent times. Can't knock the selespeed, despite some negative press.

So how far have we come. Not as far as we sometimes think.

Advertisement
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

<span><span class=ResizableText0><span><span</span> <span class=ResizableText0>class=ResizableText0></span>
    <span class=ResizableText0>
    Originally</span></span> posted by Warwick2: <strong> how far have we come. Not as far as we sometimes <span <span class=ResizableText0>class=ResizableText0>think.
    </span></span> <span class=ResizableText0></span></span> warwick, funny you should mention that,,... not too far back maybe ayear, Bill Gates was <span class=ResizableText0>unfamously</span> quoted as saying that if the auto industry moved and updated as fast as computers then we would already have cars the flew, and not unlike the ones famously shown in si-fi movies..
    To this, the CEO of GM at the time replied that if the cars and auto industry in general did so like the tech industry;-we would have cars that crash <span class=ResizableText0>themselves,</span> were ever so horrible to look at, needed parts changed and updated so quicly that they would spend more time in the garage than on the road and we would have one dominant nerd-like <span class=ResizableText0>manufacturer.</span> LOL, but you may heard this already. Guess we havn't come that far for better and for worse. cheers xqisid
    ps my 1976 Alfa had twin cams, cross flow head, <span class=ResizableText0>tentioning</span> <span class=ResizableText0>seatbelts,</span>
    4-wheel discs, 50/50 weight <span class=ResizableText0>distrobution,</span> a 5-speed close ratio box, passive steering and a radio <span class=ResizableText0>am/fm...not</span> bad for something 26 yrs old.</span>

<small>[ 09 December 2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>
    ... ptui!

I've also owned an alfa and have a bit of a soft spot for them....(usually my wallet )

If there's only one advantage the 156 has over the 405 it would be build quality......it's light years ahead of a series 1 the series 2 wasn't so bad though.......comparing apples with apples though, a 75 probably isn't built any better than a 405 especially the early ones......*cough* a good 3lt 75 certainly is a more entertaining drive though

In the late 70s or early 80s if you'd told someone that any Alfa was built better than any Peugeot....you would have been laughed at....I think Peugeot have faltered in this area......
    ________
    WEB SHOWS
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:25 AM.

Fellow Frogger!
    Fully agree with you there DTwo. A mate of mine has an Alfa 75 and my 205 GTi is waaaay better built than the 75. Although the 75 has the better engine sound, by far!!! Sounds like a glorious v6 and it's only a 1.8 4 pot!!!!
    I've also got a soft spot for alfa's, I'd love a 1750 GTV at some stage and am thinking of a 155 V6 for me next car (or a 406 V6).

How about comparing the newer pugs with alfas. Like the 147 with the 307? Which is rates better? By journos it was the 307 wasnt it?

For a start the 147 in Oz is probably equivalent to a Gti 307 which aint around yet. Nonetheless the 147 costs a fair bit more. So its apples with pears. 147 has a bit more equipment, much less space inside, is faster, handles better and is very sexy on the inside. I don't think a 307 could be called that even if the seats were upholstered in lacy knickers. The 307 is a good car I suppose. An ideal car for many. Much wider/more mainstream appeal than the 147. As a car to drive and get excited by it can't be compared to the Alfa. Not in the same league.
    It all depends on criteria for comparison as to what would be preferred by the likes of Journo's. For mine though, the 307 is an opportunity missed. I don't think it's a very good car at all. But it sells, and that's the bottom line. But after a stunning era or 205/309/405/306 I for one am so disappointed and bored with the current direction of the company(and it's current product), that along with other reasons I quit my job selling them. I actually left Alfa to join Peugeot. I regret this highly. I feel a bit guilty saying this when someone like Justin obviously loves his car, but it's horses for courses. And I still love my Mi16 and 306.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

I think the Alfa 164 is a really good but for the money. I was told by a Alfa technician that they are a lot better than the newer ones and you suffer the suicidal depreciation.
    The 75 was another car I loved too.

33 was nice. wink

One thing all frogs have always been compared was their other italian cousins, Funny how Fiat owns em all.
    I had my fun in Alfas, (a certain 33 with nos and a very worked GTV, plus my own GT ex-bathurst), has tought me heaps but like the new Pugs, the New Alfas are a different era cars, different as you can tell that even cars are bing globalised.
    Still, anything Euro has got my tick, in the Alfas id like The svelte look ofthe 166 and with the go of the yet to arrive 147 GTA,..
    In Pugs id like a 406 coupe in RWD and with that super smooth V6 Mid-ship, not unlike the Clio V6.
    THEN I WAKE UP.. lol
    xqisid.

Pug Sport should grow and make limited Road machines, like STI and so on.
    ... ptui!

You don't have to feel guilty

I think the 307 has a different feel, and its different design influences perception.

When you can compare the car on a quantitative basis, it still compares very well on various handling indicators.

The RACV rated the 307 as the best in it's comparo with the A3 & 147, but bear in mind that a 307 is much cheaper than the other two products.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

danielsydney:
    I think the Alfa 164 is a really good but for the money. I was told by a Alfa technician that they are a lot better than the newer ones and you suffer the suicidal depreciation.
    The 75 was another car I loved too.

33 was nice. wink
    I can't even begin to tell you the problems and expense caused by Alfa 164 autos (which most were).....

My mechanic (and previous alfa mechanic too!) always had a 164 or two either having it's gearbox replaced/fixed or converted to manual eek! .....they used to tell me all sorts of stories......probably just to ease my own impedning financial pain

These days the gearboxes are almost worth more than the cars.....

lovely car (for a FWD luxobarge) when everything is right though.....especially a manual Q.....
    ________
    Web Shows
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:25 AM.

Thread Information