I never had a problem with Mobil fuel until...
  • Register
  • Help

I never had a problem with Mobil fuel until...

Hi guys,

Advertisement

When I go to the petrol station I fill my car with about 40Litres of petrol. Which is pretty close to empty even though it is meant to have a 50L tank, strange. (If anyone understands this pls let me know) On this 40 Litres I usually get about 400kms, give or take 20kms at the most. Which equates to about 10L/100kms or 10kms per litre. This has been so reliable for me that i don't even use the gauge really i just reset my k's every time and use that as my fuel gauge.

When I go to my dad's house in Wallan on the hume, i usually get much better economy because of the higher gear and speed etc, but today i went there and on my way back there was some very strong wind, you could feel it pushing the car a bit. The car started to feel like it was being pushed from the front and every once in a while our heads would move forward with the decelaration. After a while i realised that my foot was to the floor and i couldn't keep the revs up, so i pulled to the emergency lane and kept going very slowly and losing speed. I was out of fuel. Luckily just over the hill was a servo, but I had only done 310kms and filled to 40Litres. Which puts my economy to 7.75kms/L. I can only think that the fuel was dodgy to give me this level of economy especially on the way to my dads.

EDIT [ I put in mobil 8000 premium stuff too ]

<small>[ 03 August 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: two-oh-philic ]</small>
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Time to start using your fuel guage again I think.

I used to get similar problem with BP from Lansvale (sydney south west) and randomly from Optimax at Bass Hill. From Mobil 8000 I am used to get 50kms less than on BP Ultimate and some Optimax fills.
    I kept a log of kms travelled and the Shell at Frenchest Forest seems to be consistently ok as well as the Ashfield BP on Parra Rd. Sad but true, just like Oils aint Oils, Premium Unleaded aint Premium at times.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I reckon there's some weird things going on with petrol at present.
    My recent experience with a strange noise in my BX 16V is a typical example. Whether in my case it's a car problem or fuel, we still haven't determined but the reaction to using (in my case Mobil unleaded) is a reversal to everything we used to be told.
    What is even weirder, is that there have been a few cases in the past couple of weeks where guys in the UK have also been getting similar noises coming from their engines & the descriptions sound almost identical to mine; I wonder if they are experimenting with additives? You gotta wonder. Story on mine is here.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001623;p=2#0000 37">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001623;p=2#0000 37" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001623;p=2#0000 37

Alan S
    Last edited by mistareno; 16th December 2005 at 01:40 PM.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I used to use that synergy 8000 for a while until I got a dirty bunch of fuel, or some water in it one day and as a result my car surged badly for 3 weeks.

Started using optimax for a while untill one day I filled up with synergy 8000 at the same servo and sure enough my car started surging again untill I ran it outa fuel. Is very wierd. I dunno maybe a complete freaky coisidence.

But I use Optimax religiously now and never had any problems, I find the economy and performance is great.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

1000+ Posts

Default Head wind could cause..

Two-oh-phillic

The head wind could factor a 30 per cent change to economy and I know in the Fuego if i tow a trailer, this dramatically uses fuel especially around town so I would never fill up with expensive fuels - just ULP for those trips!

Since putting the Hi-Clone device in the Fuego carby inlet, it performs quite well on ULP.

I was an advocate for exclusive Optimax use in the Fuego until they jacked up the price per litre by 2 cents and being an obstinate old bugger thought stuff them! and have been buying alternative fuels to make my little consumer statement and of course Coles lose out as well as I no longer need their discount dockets and I save money on lower priced but as good quality groceries as I have found

The Laguna uses Premium and I run it on a mixture of Caltex vortex at 7 cents a litre extra above ULP price (using safeway 4 cent off dockets) but my other choice is Mobil Premium at 5 cents a litre above their ULP price, just to support that lower price structure.

I haven't noticed any significant difference between Vortex and Mobil premiums as yet other than the lower premium per litre price for the mobil product.

Now if only Shell would drop their Optimax price back to a reasonable level, maybe I might just return to the fold Oh but then I might be tempted to shop at Coles for those [email protected]@dy dockets again!!

Yeah I definitely get significantly lower fuel economy using Mobil 8000 than BP Ultimate, though power and responsiveness seems to be slightly better. I've tested this a few times with driving only to and from work. With Mobil 8000 I get about 600 kms to the tank (60 Litre tank) and with BP Ultimate I get close to 700 kms which is quite significant.

Due to fuel costs nowadays I've reverted to BP Ultimate due to the economy, and only slightly less power/responsiveness (which I can't even be sure of as it's not significant). Recently did a trip from Adelaide to Melbourne on just one tank of BP ultimate sitting on the speed limit all the way with no hard acceleration. Even after getting to Melb city, I drove around for quite a few kms before I needed to fill up. All in all did 820 kms before I filled up, and I reckon it would've gone another 50 kms.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

And you can believe Kenfuego's answer because there's 2 years, 4 months and 13 days research gone into it

I've tried Synergy, Ultimate and Vortex in the Liberty and Optimax, Vortex and Synergy in the Xantia. Both cars run best on either Synergy or Vortex. I've twice had hesitation in the Subaru after filling up with Ultimate (and once from the BP on Parra Rd Ashfield - go figure!!).

But economy is virtually identical; maybe 0.2-0.4 l/100 difference but then that's statistically not relevant. I'm staggered that anyone could possibly get a 16.6% difference between ANY two petrols. That is utterly ridiculous.
    Last edited by Trixie; 16th December 2005 at 02:11 PM.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

meh i use Synnergy 8000, its always been good to me it always gets me about 10L/100kms even with spirited driving. so no doubt i could get better, but whats the fun in that
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    But economy is virtually identical; maybe 0.2-0.4 l/100 difference but then that's statistically not relevant. I'm staggered that anyone could possibly get a 16.6% difference between ANY two petrols. That is utterly ridiculous.
    Yeah it is a huge difference, but my tests haven't exactly been laboratory standard. In fact, when I go out of my way to fill up with Ultimate, it's because I'm conscious about fuel economy, and I wouldn't be surprised if my driving style after filling up with Ultimate is somewhat tamer? I guess the only real way to check is next time I do the drive to Melbourne, I'll fill up with Mobil on the way there and see if I get similar economy.

Though I do make highway trips in the order of 400 km or so quite often and I've been using Mobil for ages and never seemed to get even close to the fuel economy I did with Ultimate going to Melbourne. I mean 820+ kms on a 60L tank with 2 people and boot full of luggage, aircon on for about half the way, surprised me a lot.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

i did not perform any scientific measures by any means but the last time we filled up full tank (with nearly empty) approx 40 litres with Mobil because we forgot to bring any darn fuel vouchers.

Usually with predominantly urban driving, we get about 400kms (so approx 10L/100kms). This time, we only made it to just over 300kms.

We usually use Caltex or Shell. Not sure we'll be back to Mobil after this.

Thread Information