Scenic or what? HELP
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Sue

Scenic or what? HELP

Hubby owns 2 CXes

I prefer a car that starts and I don't spend half an hour convincing it go into gear!

His first car was a Renault 16 & he has fallen for the Scenic.

None of the postings on this site are encouraging.

Advertisement

Any ideas?

I would be surprised if you have any problems with the Scenic.

If in doubt, give Budget a call and rent one for a day...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Nothing "wrong" with scenics.....

They go reasonably well...decent revvy engine,
    Handle reasonably well,
    Built reasonably well,
    Packaged extremely well (interior etc)
    I think they are fairly decent value for money

If anything, the downside to a scenic is that it doesn't do much that it's competition can't and that it is now a comparatively "old" car....when were they first released OS?....6yrs ago?

Europa's on the money, hiring a Scenic would be an excellent way to test one out.....
    ________
    real estate in Pattaya
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:22 AM.

They're certainly a good way for a family to travel round in Europe with Renault EuroDrive

They are getting a little long in the tooth though, but practicality wise, you're not going to be complaining much.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I consider a car that has been out for five years to be better than a more recent model as the bugs have been already sorted.
    Alan.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts
    Sue,

If you found my reviews you'd find I was most impressed with a Scenic I leased in Europe for a month (covered just over 4500km) in July. It's certainly a great family car, and great for touring. It's got plenty of space, a high seating position that everyone seems to love, great safety features and is very easy to drive. It's also amazingly easy to park as the vehicle ends at the back window making reverse parks a breeze!

They have a nice soft ride The only thing that I've found is because the gear shift is on the floor (ie quite a long way down from your seating position) the gear stick seems to be along way from you. Having driven Landcruisers etc, it's not that bad though!

I had a 1.9 DCi (turbo diesel) so I can't really comment on what the petrol engined models drive like, but going on the performance of my sister's 1.4L Clio engine, the 1.6 and the 2.0 petrol Scenics available here would be very good. There are *alot* of 1.4L petrol Scenics in Ireland anyway

We had not one rattle or squeak after travelling that distance, and we took the thing all sorts of places.

As Alan Moore said, I think that the Scenic is a great car that's well sorted. We have got the "Series 2" I guess you'd say - with updated safety features and a face lift of the lights and bumpers.

Take one for a drive and I bet you'll fall for it

Derek.

<span>Echo here on all the good things about the Scenic, one thing though, were i work
    we see <span class=ResizableText0>driven/not</span> cared for real road cars, the paint on the scenic dosn't take the aussie sun too well, im not shure why. But out of the few that ive driven only the recent delivered (ie less than 6 months) still looked good. the rest did look slightly worn. Perhaps its couse they were part-built 6 years ago or what?! i don't know but they're like toyotas for paint quality. Or maybe its all that time they sit at the docks. Or just lazy owners.lol. The new laguna is a good car but the <span class=ResizableText0>start/stop</span> gear engage is somewhat fiddly, but youl' love it after a while, reall couch-potato stuff
    here. xqisid
    ps who's buying?</span>

<small>[ 07 December 2002, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>
    ... ptui!

I think the scenic is also a pretty good car. Few getting about now.
    In the north of Sydney there area few RX4's wandering about.
    They do look very rugged with those door panels too.
    Very unusual.
    I think the basic scenic is a pretty good buy for what you get for the money. For families they are great for DINK people the clio would be enough....

Hi Sue,

Depending on how much room you want you might consider a Citroen C3 - smaller then a Scenic (but not much) and a lot cheaper!

You can get full auto in the 1.4 - the 1.6 will have a 'Sensodrive'(mid year 2003), which is an Alfa Selespeed.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

nJm
    A few days ago I saw a transport truck filled with C3s and a few C5s on the Hume heading towards Vic (I was with Jason driving up to Canberra). Only got a glimpse of them, but they look pretty funky
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts
    Had a short test drive of a C3 Exclusive this morning. Wow. Talk about a car that gets lots of looks!

The 1.4 goes pretty well in the manual version.

Full review to follow when we take delivery of ours

Derek.

Sue,

I'm not about to get involved in discussing Scenics, as to be honest with you, where I am I haven't even seen one. However, as a CX owner I am intrigued at the statement that it takes you half an hour to convince it that it should go into gear. I presume it has to be a CX c-matic that you are referring to and as I had the same problem with mine when I first bought it, and was told by "those in the know" that the synchros were shot & that I'd bought a good car but "pity about the gearbox" as it was going to cost me a fortune to fix, it actually took me a few hours (mainly due to some self inflicted wounds) but should have really only taken 2 to 4 hours time plus about $25 in oils & gasket materials etc and my c-matic now absolutely flies through the gears and is so easy to get into gear (hot or cold) that there's no way I'd swap it for a manual.
    As I say, I'm asking out of academic interest and if your hubby is who I think he is, he's welcome to drop me a "Private message" or e-mail (look at icons above my name) as it is possibly a bit long and involved to describe & discuss on an open forum.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Sue
    Hi everyone

Would the C3 handle 750kg on the towbar?

I wouldn't want to try!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Sue
    Yes the beast is a 2400 Cmatic and I wouldn't even attempt to start it below 10 degrees Celsius.

Though I haven't really tried since the top end overhaul, it may have improved.

Sue:
    Yes the beast is a 2400 Cmatic and I wouldn't even attempt to start it below 10 degrees Celsius.

Though I haven't really tried since the top end overhaul, it may have improved.
    My car came from the Blue Mountains (cold) to the sub-tropics (b......y hot) and seemed to have problems handling the "cold" climate here which then extended into the hot time both of which were easily fixed using a bit of basic maintenance. This car had totally stumped the experts in Sydney, none of whome acknowledged that it could be fixed as simply as it was; this is why just out of interests sake I'd like to pursue it further; unless of course you've both made your mind up to change it anyway?
    I'll be a bit slow in responding at present due to other issues at home here we have at present taking up a lot of time.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

One of my workmates has purchased the Scenic 4x4 (he does a lot of surfing and light duty off road to get to some mountainbiking tracks).

Its a very smart looking car and he is more than impressed with the performance and the fitout of the 4x4 model. It has plenty of room and can carry full 500kg's worth of baggage (just like the large 4x4's). It comes with a towbar and I would guess with 4x4 suspension and brakes it should handle 750kg's.

There were a few problems with it which were mostly poor quality in finishing. The paint started to flake off on front nudge bar (factory fitted) and the engine has a miss in it which Renault is still chasing 6 months after the delivery (it started to miss 1 month after delivery).

But those problems aside my mate is VERY happy with his purple grey Scenic (it said Grey but under different light conditions it has a very strong purple shade to the amusement of most guys at work wink )

btw. The handling of it is phenomenal.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I'll have to post a contrary view here.

I've test driven the Scenic RX4 and overall I wasn't impressed. Here are my reasons:

-Driving position: Possibly the worst driving position I have ever seen amongst the current crop of passenger cars. The steering angle is bus-like and the peddals were at a weird angle and skewered to the right. I just couldn't get comfortable with the car.

-Ergonomics: The switches were scattered, too small and hard to reach. The instruments were somewhat hard to read. While this may seem a minor issue with many Froggers, I believe good ergonomics is extremely important for safe driving. The Scenic may boast of lots of storage bins but they are very small and are of little practical value - if you use the front cupholders, you'll block off the console.

-Quality: A big question mark here. The Scenics I saw looked generally well put together but then quality of build is not a strong point of French cars. How will the plastics last in the Aussie sun? I'm a bit sceptical. If there are any problems you'll have to take the car back to Nissan Australia which leads me to my next point -

-After-sales service: The Renault distribution is handled by Nissan. That's a bad thing. I had a Pulsar for a while and found that Nissan service was the worst I had ever encountered. Generally, I found them rude, uncooperative and incompetent. Whenever I took my car to be serviced at one of their dealers, I often had to take it back to rectify problems THEY caused such as oil leaks, clutch problems and even a broken seat adjuster. Have your Scenic looked after by Nissan at your own peril.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

On the driving position - it is a little bus like. One thing I noticed, is that you press the pedals downwards towards the floor, as opposed to forward towards the firewall as in normal cars.

Some of the cubbies are there if you need them, but aren't the easiest to use (eg. the cubbies underneath the rear seats - a bit tedeous to access).

On the after sales part - getting a good dealer will help here. The independent Renault specific dealers will probably be better, than the mass market, "you're a dot on the screen" joint dealers (eg. those in conjunction with Nissan, etc.) You already notice it when you walk into the dealers.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I was originally referring to the normal scenics rather than the RX4, which i think is different enough, at least from a driving perspective, to be considered a different car.

I wouldn't be hooking up 750kg to the back of a RX4....they have enough trouble moving their own weight at the speed of traffic let alone with another half car (in weight) tacked onto the back, they'll do it.....but it would be a struggle and your clutch won't last too long
    ________
    LolyArdent
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:22 AM.

1000+ Posts
    billtran:

-Driving position: Possibly the worst driving position I have ever seen amongst the current crop of passenger cars. The steering angle is bus-like and the peddals were at a weird angle and skewered to the right. I just couldn't get comfortable with the car.
    Are you sure you'd say bus-like? You mustn't have driven a bus or a truck. Buses and trucks tend to have steering wheels mounted closer to the horizontal plane, whereas cars are very close to the vertical plane. I found the Scenic to be a happy half-way, close to about 45 degree angle, which is fine, given the high seating position.

The pedals definately do push towards the floor, but again, this is because of the high seating position.

I guess it's a compromise You can't have a high seating position and pedals that push towards the firewall with a steering wheel mounted in the vertical plane like a passenger car.

All in all I covered a decent distance in my Scenic and (some legs were 4 and 5 hours at a time) and I never tired of its seating position, in fact I loved being up so high with such good vision.

Derek.

Sue
    Thanks guys

Is that sexist?

A couple of points to note.

I don't like manuals, I have problems with my left knee so the 4x4 is out.

The final decision is mine.

The Scenic or whatever will make us a 3 car family we're not ditching the CXes.

DeKa
    Are you sure you'd say bus-like? You mustn't have driven a bus or a truck. Buses and trucks tend to have steering wheels mounted closer to the horizontal plane, whereas cars are very close to the vertical plane. I found the Scenic to be a happy half-way, close to about 45 degree angle, which is fine, given the high seating position.

The pedals definately do push towards the floor, but again, this is because of the high seating position.

I guess it's a compromise You can't have a high seating position and pedals that push towards the firewall with a steering wheel mounted in the vertical plane like a passenger car.

All in all I covered a decent distance in my Scenic and (some legs were 4 and 5 hours at a time) and I never tired of its seating position, in fact I loved being up so high with such good vision.

Derek.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Perhaps bus-like is a bit of an exaggeration but considering most MPVs have made considerable gains in becoming more car-like, I found the driving position on the Scenic unacceptable. But I suppose to each his own and while you have found the Scenic comfortable I simply didn't. But I know that I'm not the only person who has made the same criticisms of the Scenic.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Sue:
    Thanks guys

Is that sexist?

A couple of points to note.

I don't like manuals, I have problems with my left knee so the 4x4 is out.

The final decision is mine.

The Scenic or whatever will make us a 3 car family we're not ditching the CXes.
    The RX4 is out for two reasons then......

They aren't sold in Auto
    ________
    LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Sue
    Is there another french car that boasts similar versatility in the interior?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information