Which is the most stuck-up and most luxurious of the the 3 brands? What do we all thi
  • Register
  • Help

Which is the most stuck-up and most luxurious of the the 3 brands? What do we all thi

As the question above stands what do people think?
    Which out of Renault,Citroen,Peugeot is the most luxurious brand?
    This should be a huge topic I'd imagine.People can even name car models if they like? whistle mallet citroen_ renault_ peugeot_

Advertisement

With out a doubt the Cits.. (Xq ducs for cover)
    I should know we get lots of C5 owners who barely even acknowledge us.
    But they seem friendly compared to Bentley or Maserati owners. cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

Yeah, I'll back Xq up there and say Cit drivers, but I will qualify it with "in general".

That said, I think the most yuppie-wanna-be's are Pug drivers. I don't even bother to waive unless they have a PUG numberplate or some other 'distingishing' feature.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

That said, I think the most yuppie-wanna-be's are Pug drivers. I don't even bother to waive unless they have a PUG numberplate or some other 'distingishing' feature.
    Very True im surprised if any of them "trendies" even know what model their car is. Recently i gave a waive to some dude in a 206 and he gave me the finger. I felt like following him and chucking my milkshake on his car, but then i saw this hot chick on the other side of the road, took my eye of the road and spilt my milkshake on myself. mallet

In Australia, I would probably say Peugeot is the classiest brand - it has the strongest French brand.

In terms of product, I believe Renault is becoming more classy than Peugeot. If you compare equivalent models, you'll see what I mean - just compare Clio plastics with a 206 for a start. Then again, the fabric in the V6 Laguna Expression feels like it belongs on public transport If you read the CAR article a few months back, Renault is trying to position itself higher in the market, whilst Citroen is becoming PSA's value arm - judging by the incentives given in the UK, they can't really move up - that's simple marketing.

At the French Car Day here, the Vel Satis came across as a very classy car inside. I'd say the 607 looks classier overall.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC
    Pug307:
    At the French Car Day here, the Vel Satis came across as a very classy car inside. I'd say the 607 looks classier overall.
    Quite like the 406 Coupe ... great design, classy ride, and quick to boot. The fully optioned V6 Laguna is very nice but $$$$$. As for Cit, the C5 doesn't do it for me, actually I'd rather have a DS (like my old man had for 20 years - wonder where that car is now ???)

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thats interesting guys-cool....I have tried waving too but i never get any backn so i have given up now..

UFO
    [quote]XTC206:
    Originally posted by Pug307:
    [qb] As for Cit, the C5 doesn't do it for me, actually I'd rather have a DS (like my old man had for 20 years - wonder where that car is now ???)

XTC206
    Well, get some details if they can be found and post them in the Citroen forum and we will see if we can track it. Paul Smith has access to old sales records from an importer and someone may know where the car went after your father sold it. citroen_
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO
    danielsydney:
    Thats interesting guys-cool....I have tried waving too but i never get any backn so i have given up now..
    Interesting that you say that Daniel. I was driving through Sydney traffic yesterday afternoon and it is getting SO busy that it is difficult to watch out for a potential "wavee".

cry citroen_
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

When we had Pugs years ago, we always got a wave from other Puggers.
    I don't know which brand has the most stucup drivers, but I reckon the most luxurious has to be citroen_
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

nJm
    On my wonderings around Melbourne I'd have to say of the older cars the citroen_ DS drivers appear to be more so. All the older pugs and renaults seem to be recently resprayed in bright yellow and driven by uni students .

Of the newer cars, Peugeot has it in aus - purely because there are far more of them, a larger model range etc. They are respected as a nice european alternative. New Citroens are few and far between (appart from all the Berlingos) and I would say the general public really has no idea what they are and don't really care. Renault hasn't been out long enough. I have seen a total of 6 Laguna's on the road, and the Clios are now recognised as Budget Rental cars.

All you have to do is drive into Camberwell, Balwyn and Kew to notice that any french car you see is going to be a 406, a nice 306 or a P-plater 206 Gti.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Guys,

I'm probably being a little un-generous, owners of new car don't wave to owners of *old* car (how dare they wave at me, I'm much supperior to someone driving an **old** car mallet ). Not always the case. I'm guessing the same with Citroen, Renault and pugs. A lot of the newer car owners don't even know what the older cars look like.

A reason new Cit/Pug/Renault car owners don't wave to each other .... Have you ever tried to pick 'em out in traffic?? They all look the same as everything else on the road roll_lau roll_lau

If you wan't to be waved at, drive a DS or 2cv, everyone waves at them, school kids, grannies, etc... How could you not point & laugh at cars that look so different.

Generaly older cars of the same make always wave (well I've found that with GS/CX). Infact I was waved at by someone in a new Clio last week, I sat there sort of stunned, and it took a while to register and wave back (then it accured to me I was in a Renault 19 ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts
    This is all so true

You get alot more waves in the 504 than any of the modern cars.. although I've had waves from other C3 drivers while driving the C3.

You do get the occasional wave from a 306 owner (usually with a PUG/306 related number plate though!) when in the 306.

Boring modern Frog drivers :p
    Derek.

XTC
    UFO:
    Well, get some details if they can be found and post them in the Citroen forum and we will see if we can track it. Paul Smith has access to old sales records from an importer and someone may know where the car went after your father sold it. citroen_
    I'll try .. he's usually a bit misty eyed when he talks about the old DS ... he had it imported new from France in about 1968 (roughly) - from memory it was a DS21 special. I'll try and dig up some info - and some old photographs. When we moved to Kalgoorlie in the 70's there wasn't anyone there who could service or fix them - parts also were a pain to get.

And after shipping his car to Perth by truck about 3 times in 2 years (after it broke down and no-one knew how to fix it) he sold it. It was white (kinda off white) - could be any colour now. If I could find it, I'd buy it for him. Failing that I might start hunting around for a good DS example for sale here.

XTC206

PS: he went to Renaults for a while (R12/R16/R18) but since then Toyota's and Fords, I think when I rocked up with my MY02 206GTi it kinda ignited the flame again.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

My 403 gets a lot of attention from everybody, much more than when I was driving the 604.
    A tourist in Richmond waved my father down when he was in the 403 and asked to pose next to it for a photo! Another time, I was sitting in a car park in the 403, when Chopper Reid drove in, walked over, and said "they don't make cars like this anymore" As he walked away, he said "take good care of it". A few weeks later, I had it in the same car park (across the road from Chopper's favourite pub) on the jack freeing off a jammed brake drum, when he pulled in, came over, and said "I hope you are looking after this lovely old car".
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

nJm:
    On my wonderings around Melbourne I'd have to say of the older cars the citroen_ DS drivers appear to be more so. All the older pugs and renaults seem to be recently resprayed in bright yellow and driven by uni students .
    So true

nJm:
    All you have to do is drive into Camberwell, Balwyn and Kew to notice that any french car you see is going to be a 406, a nice 306 or a P-plater 206 Gti.
    Funny, a few years ago i heard that 85% of the Pug population here in melbourne are in that zone...source wasnt reliable as i was over hearing a conversation. Buy yeah when you drive through those suburbs its like Peugeot country.

Regarding the topic, i think its a bit broad. I cant see a measurable difference in 'Class' between Pugs, Cits and Reno's. Comes down to personal opinion. Bit like Ford vs Holden.

As an ex Renault salesman (last day today!!), my typical Renault customer was either an Engineer or school teacher, lives in Malvern-Armadale area, analytical to the max (they wanna know EVERYTHING) and yes, pretty yuppie (They will never sign all the papers for a purchase without sipping on a short black or cuppacino )

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Interesting.

I usually get waves from other 504s when I'm driving my 504. When I had the Mi16, most other Mi16 drivers would wave or flash (headlights...), sometimes S16 or XSi drivers too.

The thing is, you don't need to be an enthusiast to own a frog these days. They have become too mainstream, people might compare a Corolla with a 307. In earlier times, frogs were unique and special, you had to be unique and special (!) to own one, and other owners would see a kindred spirit in you.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Luxurious! Does that mean which brands marketing arm does a better job at image making? We are just talking about a pile of nuts and bolts here.
    Luxury is a bean bag, beer and football, with cheese twisties. Automotive luxury: Is it the way a car goes over bumps without one noticing, or where road conditions are not felt through a steering wheel. Or the luxury of handling really well. Or is luxury something about the complete automotive package. Dunno. I think by luxury (in a car)people usually mean quiet, dull and insensitive. Is luxury a piece of automotive faeces like a 745i? Cars like this are such a laugh. So horrid. Great in theory, and great at 250 kph between Munich and Stuttgart, but an anachronism everywhere else.
    In this context of the three French the most luxurious would have to be Citroen surely. We all have different tastes, and I am not one to say who is righter than the next guy. However I just dont get how people can drive a car like a C5 and say its a good car. Its good if you like a big blob of a car which is well made, but dull and comfy. But its bad if you like a bit of entertainment.
    Dont mind me; I think I'm just pissed off that Peugeot have stopped making entertaining cars.
    I drive my wifes Mi16, then I drive my 156 and think what could have been but how the French dropped the ball. Nay, lost the ball. But they are selling! So are Fords though.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Fellow Frogger!
    i've had one wave whilst driving my 205 through darlinghurst .... mind you it could have been a homo trying to pick me up
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

When my S16 was stock, i got lots of waves from other 306 owners, and i waved back.
    But now i ussually get approached from complete strangers wanting to know what it is and how did i register a rally car on the road,...lol.
    My friend in his 206 has a bad habit of reving up when next to other Pug owners, espesh 206gti's, oh and he lost hi license 3 year ago, wonder why.
    cheers Xq

ps, i love waving to the plenty full of hot chicks in sydney driving their CC's
    ... ptui!

The DS citroen_ has to be one of the most comfortable cars...handling given a back seat!
    I used to wave a lot to DS drivers but there now seems to be new breed who think they are way too cool to wave back...more than likely they are not members of a car club..are under 35 and think they have just discovered something unique...
    At least they have the money to spend on them..
    As for attention...you would be hard pressed to beat the fun 2CV..In no other car (and I have had many including a Ferrari)have I received so much attention...smiles,waves,laughter and propositions
    why have I only discovered it when I am attached
    Damn.....A 2CV will do wonders for your sex life
    trust me!!!! cheers! whip citroen_
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thread Information