Fuel filters - Ryco vs Bosch
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fuel filters - Ryco vs Bosch

When I did my last oil/spark plug change, I replaced my fuel filter as I've had the Pug (2.2L ZDJL EFI) for a year and didn't know when it was previously replaced. Anyway, it was made by Bosch. When I went to get a new filter, I was handed a Ryco. After returning home, I checked out the box and noticed that Ryco recommend replacing the filter after 10,000 kms, whereas the Haynes manual says the fuel filter only needs replacing after 58,000 kms. eek!

So, which filter is better, Ryco or Bosch (assuming the Bosch filter is what the Haynes manual data is based on)?

I've never really been a Ryco fan, but I'm thinking that with such a short replacement interval, is the Ryco better at removing crud by filtering out more and hence clogging up faster? Or is the Bosch just better designed so that it can be left in longer? Can the Ryco be left for 58,000 kms?

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    The factory recommended period for the Purflux filter is 30,000km. I would imagine that Bosch's standard would be the equivalent of the Purflux (but this is a sweeping statement and one without any factual basis).

I replace my Bosch one every 30,000km.

con.....

<small>[ 01 August 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: con ]</small>

1000+ Posts
    If you sold filters for a living, what would YOU recommend? wink

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

i recommend FRAM. done.
    chris
    ... ptui!

Hmmm... I guess I'll change the Ryco for a Bosch or Purflux filter at the next change. spanner

I've never heard of FRAM, are they supposed to be better?

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

When someone publishes some facts about filter performance I might take some notice.

Otherwise, we are buying on reputations built on advertising or parental guidance, aren't we?

1000+ Posts
    I agree totally, Ray. My comment above referred to Ryco's 10,000km replacement recommendation - ie. they'll sell more filters at that rate. I've never heard of anyone actually doing this...

I can see logic in the Ryco oil filter debate because of the lack of anti-drain valve in some of them but I doubt very much if the filter elements themselves are of lower quality. With fuel filters, I reckon they'd be as good.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    The best "Full flow filter", as we are currently talking about, would be the brand that filtered to the lowest micron, without too much restriction on oil flow...

A standard ryco brand, filters to about 20 micron i think.

I have also been told, by just about EVERYONE in the "industry" that Ryco is Krap, and that Purflux is the bees knees.

Oh for what it's worth, Rcyo, Bosch, Holden, Ford, Toyota and some other brands are made by a company called GUD industries, here in Melbourne.
    Guess what??, they are all the same filter with a different label....

I couldn't comment, but that's what i'm told???

I will look for some specs...

Hope this helps
    Adrian

<small>[ 02 August 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Cant_get_enough_of_peugeots ]</small>
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

Fellow Frogger!
    roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

Sorry Fellas, i was too busy talking and kindly shared my Knoledge on oil filters....

never mind, but Fuel filters?, i know nothing..

Adrian
    Peugeot

1000+ Posts
    It'd be interesting to know why they reckon Ryco's are crap...or whether it's a self perpetuating myth boosted by threads like this. "I read on the internet that Ryco's are crap" sort of thing. BTW 20 microns is pretty damn small...like one tenth the thickness of an average human hair.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Have a look at this for a start:

<a href="http://www.delorean.com/technical.asp" target="_blank">http://www.delorean.com/technical.asp</a>

the RH one is a Fram??

what's a picture worth?

con....

<small>[ 03 August 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: con ]</small>

Fellow Frogger!
    These are people i won't name (because i don't have thier permission.), but certain peugeot parts suppliers, say that the Ryco is too restrictive..

Must be a Peugeot thing.... like Bosch spark plugs give problems to some pugs, but NGK are fine.
    Similar sort of equation, Ryco may be ok for other cars, but be a problem in some pugs?? Always heard good reports on the Purflux brand though.

You tend to remmember bad comments about products easier. I can only comment on what i have been told

and 20 microns, is huge! i used to sell bypass filters, they would filter down to 1 Micron.
    Any smaller than that, you would actually remove the addative package...

What micron does the average fuel filter, rate at ???

Cheers
    Adrian
    Peugeot

Gus
    What you really want is a way to measure the pressure drop across the filter.

When it clogs up, the pressure drop will rise. Some fancy truck/fleet filter assemblies include such a gauge to minimise unnecessary replacements.

I imagine a pressure sensor T-ed in before the filter would do the trick, cos the post-filter fuel pressure is already regulated (dependent on vacuum.) Might save yourself some unnecessary filter changes. Maybe.

Measuring the current draw on the fuel pump might work as an alternative.

I'd guess that the Ryco is probably close to a clone of the Bosch filter, which will almost by definition be right cos it's a pre-designed part of a Bosch fuel injection system. Do the two look similar on the outside (size/construction)?

If you didn't mind the risk of blowing yourself up, you could cut them open and have a look-see.

This excepts something I heard once, which was that Bosch stuff varies in quality depending on which factory it was made in. Something like, Europe = Quality, India = Cheapo.

I can't really remember how well they looked to be constructed, but they were the same size. I think the Bosch was more of a perfect cylinder-shape while the Ryco was more conical at one end, although it could just be my imagination. I'll take a look at the Ryco tomorrow.

Yeah I should have kept the Bosch to cut it open and check it out, I didn't think of that. When I change the Ryco, I'll open it up and do some probing.

I have to admit, I don't really have any evidence not to like Ryco, but from my experience, I've generally found that anything marketed and produced as a generic replacement to OEM equipment usually isn't as good. And as Ray said, in the absence of any facts on filter performance, it's hard to judge what filters are better than others,so I usually like to pay a little extra on the expectation that I'm getting a better product.

Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

silverexec:
    :
    I've never heard of FRAM, are they supposed to be better?

Cheers,
    Richard
    Not so much better, just very proven on the race track, a lot of the week driver, weekend racers love them...
    Only really suits people who are prepared to service their car more than usual, and what performance rather than full-price value.
    my 2c chris..
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    Did a bit of Googling last night on oil filters. Adrian you were right - 20 microns is reasonably big in filter terms. Bypass filters can filter down to 0.1 microns.

For full flow filters, good ones will remove down to about 4-5 microns, and the worst down to about 40-50 microns. This is just averaging - there were widely varying figures. Some quoted up to 100 microns minimum. But that's not the whole story. The poor ones will remove some of the 5 micron sized particles, just no where near as many. And neither the Purflux site nor the Ryco one mention any actual micron levels of filtration. I did see a Murdoch Uni site that quoted that the Ryco Z71 filters down to 30 microns, but this was a throwaway line and wasn't the purpose of their testing.

A few sites tested many brands, but I didn't find mention of either Ryco or Purflux, as they were all US based. However, Fram was well down the bottom and interestingly, the OEM brands from Toyota and Honda were very poor. All the best ones were premium brands from Valvoline and other Yank brands I've never seen. They seem to have different levels of filter within the same brands, like 'premium gold' etc.

FWIW, I did see mention of a diesel Peugeot that specified a special Purflux filter for running in that filtered down to 5 microns, then a 'standard' filter for post running in. I presume the running in filter must get clogged easily.

Yes, no conclusions, but filters ain't filters...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Gus
    Just a note, but the micron ratings on filters are usually "optimum" rather than absolute.

That is to say, a filter rated at 5 micron will get something like 50% of the 5-micron particles passed through it, and something like 100% of the 30-micron particles passed through it.

Just another instance of the fine line between specifications and marketing.

1000+ Posts
    Yeah, I sort of said that (maybe not clearly)when I mentioned the poor ones getting some of the 5 micron sized particles. I suppose my main point was that filters do vary widely in efficiency and it's probably worth buying the best.

Cheers,

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    IMHO the best filters are the best you can buy and changed frequently
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!
    agreed...
    Peugeot

Dredging up an old thread...

I had planned to change the Ryco fuel filter this weekend so I went back to the shop where I originally bought the Ryco and asked if I could get a Bosch.

The owner who knows me reasonably well (I buy my oil and oil filters there) pointed out that he could order a Bosch filter in, but the Rycos are just as good and cheaper. He himself owns a heap of Peugeot 505s (including a mint GTi and factory V6) and swears that he runs Ryco fuel filters on all of them and hasn't found any problems.

His mate who was in the shop at the time who also owns a range of 505s (his GTi wagon was parked outside) also said he uses Ryco filters without any problem. The shop owner told me he replaces his fuel filters every 20,000 kms, contrary to the instructions on the Ryco box which say they should be replaced at 10,000 kms.

I don't know, I've never been a fan of generic replacements and find it hard to believe that a Ryco filter could be as good as a genuine Bosch.

The shop owner and his mate are both Peugeot Car Club members and I'd be inclined to believe them but I'd like to get some other opinions first. What do you think?

cheers!
    Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Having had french cars for years..curently Mi16's by two, Cit BX16 Valve, BX16 TRS (I am selling)and a couple of Alfas,a Lancia, Yamaha XVS1600. etc ..I think fuel filters are a very in expensive way of protecting our engines.. I have changed the oil / filters on my car every 5000 kms.....fuel filters every 12 months..what I think is being forgotten in this
    DEESHKUSHEN is the poor quality of our fuel and I think resplasing filters is a very cheep insurance policy...cheers josephk
    eugeot 2001 406 Coupe Polo Green.
    :Saab 9-3: 2000 Viggen Convertible Lightning Blue, BSR 424NM frightening!!!
    :Saab 95: 2001 Aero Black Wagon. 184kw .
    :Saab 900: 1993 Classic Convertable Blue.

$$$ SAVE BANK INTEREST AND BUY MORE TOYS!!

nJm
    Which shop do you go to Richard?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

They're called Deymo Car Parts in Briar Hill (near Greensborough). They've got a good range of the usual stuff like oils and fluids, globes etc, and a range of replacement parts for all car models.

As the owner (Mal) is in to 505s, he knows a fair bit about them and stocks most of the stuff for them. I was surprised when I headed out there and asked if he had a replacement O ring for my Bosch distributor, and he just happened to have a few on him as he'd been working on a 505 that day and thought he might've needed one.

I bit the bullet today - I swung past Regans on my way home from uni and bought a genuine Bosch fuel filter for $25. I just think I'll feel better having a nice Spanish-made Bosch under my car .

I'll take some pics of it with the Ryco and post them up so they can be compared, over the next few days when I get around to taking out the old filter.

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

I used to use bosch on my R19 when I had it..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information